Constant crashes, KSP causes BSOD and corrupts saves..

I am really struggling with this.

A stock install of KSP with no mods crashes every time I play. It often crashes my PC (BSOD) When that happens it corrupts my save file..

I have some of the error logs here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=321df943c0af6b2a!220&authkey=!AN2ggsPBCfJeGHE&ithint=folder%2clog

I have never had anything as bad as this with earlier KSP versions or indeed any other game, ever. I have no idea what the error logs mean so if someone else could have a look I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

MJ

Edited by sal_vager

I haven't really had any crashes with KSP... Ever.

Sigh.. Why do people post things like this? It is the most unhelpful thing you could say. Please don't comment unless you have something useful to say.

MajorJim, can you please get the output_log and KSP.log immediately after one of these crashes, the two files are slightly different and KSP will write to them when there is an internal error.

MajorJim, can you please get the output_log and KSP.log immediately after one of these crashes, the two files are slightly different and KSP will write to them when there is an internal error.

Umm, are they in the same place as the error logs?

There seems to be two things going on here, bad part files and a bad save.

It should be possible to fix the first one by deleting the GameData folder and then verifying the game cache in Steam, Steam won't replace the files if it thinks they are alright, deleting that folder forces Steam to replace them.

The second issue may be easy or impossible, the game does not detect any thumbnail images for the save, so after Steam has finished replacing the files and before launching anything, re-save each craft in both the VAB and SPH so new thumbnails are generated.

The other issues I see in the save should be fixed by the cache verification, but also I suggest disabling antialiasing and PPFX in the KSP settings, as there's some shader errors in the log.

There's a lot of strange stuff in your output_log, stuff I haven't seen before, is this only happening on one save?

This happens in any save. New and old. I was playing this evening and experienced three crashes in 1 hour. I have yet to have a BSOD though.

I will see how it goes and report back. Thank you Sal for your help.

MJ

Ok I am still getting constant crashes and I had another BSOD when the game crashed.

I am concerned about KSP causing hardwear damage now.. How can it be this broken?

Edited by Majorjim

Okay you're going to need to do a few things, first, you need to disable "restart after system error", this will be different on different versions of Windows so hit up Google and find where to do it on your system, what we need are the error codes from the stop error when your computer crashes.

Once you know what the error codes are you can find them in the event log (again, Google) so you don't have to write them all out by hand.

Once you have those, post them here.

Okay you're going to need to do a few things, first, you need to disable "restart after system error", this will be different on different versions of Windows so hit up Google and find where to do it on your system, what we need are the error codes from the stop error when your computer crashes.

Once you know what the error codes are you can find them in the event log (again, Google) so you don't have to write them all out by hand.

Once you have those, post them here.

Ok I will do this as soon as possible.

Hi again,

I just had another BSOD in KSP.. Here is the stop code: STOP 0x0000001A (0x0000000000000403, 0xfffff6800014ce08, 0xff1000029e533867, 0xfffff68000422cea)

I couldn't find anything on Google about it. Here is a pic of the BS:

28sydz4.jpg

MJ

I used to get a memory management error on an older computer I had running as a media server. It turned out to be a RAM stick that was going bad. Once I upgraded the RAM and tore that stick out, I never had the issue again. So this is a hardware issue with your PC. I would recommend doing a system test. Windows has one built in and there are other third-party ones out there. But I am 99% sure a bad RAM stick is your issue and replacing it will fix your problems.

Good Luck :)

I'd also try memtest86, and if you have more than one memory stick you can try the sticks individually.

This can also be caused by a faulty memory controller, most memory controllers are built into the CPU now, though on some older machines it is in the motherboard.

I'd also try memtest86, and if you have more than one memory stick you can try the sticks individually.

This can also be caused by a faulty memory controller, most memory controllers are built into the CPU now, though on some older machines it is in the motherboard.

It is odd that only KSP causes the BSOD. My PC is rock solid with all other games and programs.. I have already run the windows memory test with no errors.

I will try memtest next but I am fairly sure KSP is the problem and not my brand new hardware.

*edit* Why was this moved out of the support section to the space lounge??

Edited by Majorjim

Maybe I'll make a [Hardware/OS] tag, I don't mind trying to help with hardware but it can be asking too much of everyone else who tries to help, KSP does not cause BSOD's for the vast majority of players and those who have had BSOD's have ended up having to reinstall Windows or replace hardware to solve it.

Maybe I'll make a [Hardware/OS] tag, I don't mind trying to help with hardware but it can be asking too much of everyone else who tries to help, KSP does not cause BSOD's for the vast majority of players and those who have had BSOD's have ended up having to reinstall Windows or replace hardware to solve it.

It is a support issue and really belongs in the support section. I put it in the correct place so can you move it back please Sal? It is ONLY KSP that crashes and causes BSOD. I play a lot of games and none of them do this, ever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.