So Kerbals have become tough!!

Karpen

Hi,

I noticed something in 1.0, not sure if it was the same in previous version. I never tried it before, but the following was more an act of desperation :D

I had a Command Pod reenter Kerbins Atmosphere. The Pilot was Bob Kerman. Everything was glowing and really really hot, apparently to how for the parachute, it ripped of and the Command Pod was falling to its doom.

I had Bob exit the Pod and use his Jetpack ... To my surprise he actually survived :D

Superkerbals!

Just wanted to let you know :)

Hi,

I noticed something in 1.0, not sure if it was the same in previous version. I never tried it before, but the following was more an act of desperation :D

I had a Command Pod reenter Kerbins Atmosphere. The Pilot was Bob Kerman. Everything was glowing and really really hot, apparently to how for the parachute, it ripped of and the Command Pod was falling to its doom.

I had Bob exit the Pod and use his Jetpack ... To my surprise he actually survived :D

Superkerbals!

Just wanted to let you know :)

Welcome to the Forum!

This trick works based on an improper collider mechanic in the game (I think), and it's been around practically forever. Danny2462 had it happen to him as #8 of the 25 Things to Do With Your Kerbals, back in August 2012. Note how different the game was back then!

Some people have wanted to fix it, but I'm personally fine with this little bug. Nice find, though!

-Upsilon

I thought they have always been able to do that?
Indeed, I've seen it in a few LP episodes pre-1.0. Activating the jetpack increases their crash resistance or makes them bounce for some reason.

I always thought it was just from landing on their head...although to get them there you had to use the jetpack...so I guess that is the reason its like that.

I still like to think their necks are made of titanium though, and will always have them hit head first for assurance. :P

I did this to Jeb recently. He stowed away aboard my 1-Kerbal rescue ship, and I didn't catch him until I was already in space, so I EVA'd him and had him skydive back to Kerbin. To my surprise it totally worked xD

It is my hope that if SQUAD does "patch" this, it coincides with the addition of some little Kerbal parachutes, a feature I think KSP has been missing for a while now.

I just had this happen and decided to test it. EVA'd a Kerbal at 3000m and let him hit the launch pad without using his jet pack and he survived. I assume the high drag model means Kerbals can survive most freefalls intact now, (assuming he doesn't try and land at a high altitude spot).

Edited by Redshift OTF

I was talking to a coworker about a Chriton-like rescue operation. My first mun landing had enough fuel to get there, land and only get part way back up. So when the rescue craft got there, I orbited at a low altitude to mun. I launched the anemic lander to about 13k altitude and had Valentina jump. She circularized with nothing but RCS and dead reckoning. I then swooped in with the rescue craft and took her home. I could hear the anemic rocket crash into the moon as I was doing my manual maneuver. If you listen really close, maybe you could hear her yell "yeeehaw".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.