What smallish mods should be integrated into the base game?

Quantum Struts. Only one part now I believe. Makes building space stations much easier as the modules would connect much more firmly.

legit after docking in space to have the ability to reenforce the structure also in the same small parts addition spirit that are 200% legit stock: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70502-CP-Airbags-Revived!

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Environmental Visual Enhancements, or some other mod that provides volumetric clouds. Skip the city lights, imo. The only problem with the mod is it makes periapsis/apoapsis markers hard to see against the clouds: if it were a stock part of the game Squad could adjust the colors to improve contrast.

Agreed. Maybe have clouds at 25% opacity when in map view or something to make picking a landing site easier. It's already nearly impossible on Eve.

Distant Object Enhancement (Just for the points of light from planets and nearby ships)

That's the only graphics mod I use, although I agree that clouds would look nice. I'm not sure how well my graphics card would cope though. Explosions in atmo make the game hang for a few frames as it is now.

Maybe something like RoverDude's Alcubierre Warp Drive, but more easily used without mods. It would have to be the ultimate endgame part though (say 10k, maybe 25k Science?)

I don't think Tweakscale should be added. Right now, it's quite hard to build small, just due to the size of the parts. Brain surgery with a hammer, if you know what I mean. If Tweakscale were added, all those amazing creations like UpsilonAerospace's tiny shuttle would really lose their magic, as all you would have to do would be scale struts down and bam-micro. The limitations produced by part size have lead to amazing new uses for parts that you would originally never think of using, e. g. roll cages made out of those LT-5 micro landing gears (probably not the best example, but still.)

Really, my list of "should be stock" mods is:

-Kerbal Engineer

-Kerbal Alarm Clock

-Precise Node

This is exactly my list of must-haves for the sake of my sanity, even when playing a "stock" save.

The mods which add better visuals and sound should be implemented too. That's KSPs biggest weak spot right now.

ah ... , and i almost forgot a "TAC fuel Balancer" kind of thing !!! i j u s t c a n ' t l i v e w i t h o u t i t !!! especially when you start to be in the "many" far or not away stations and spaceships refuelings things all around ; )

(because the stock fuel transfer system if it do it's job properly is all but handy, ergonomic and easy to use fast and efficiently : )

I aslo think TACFB UI in itself is perfectible expecially the highlight of container wich is kinda slow and painfull sometime to quickly identify the containers you want to deal with when you have a lot (a container rename may be ?)

Anyway, even if his own UI is perfectible too in term of containers quick identifications and selections, actually it remain way faster to quickly target and transfer thing than the stock UI

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Kerbal Engineer Redux (With !!!111!!! for emphasis).

I'm not crazy about KER, but with a bit of polishing, it should fit really well into the stock game. I personally would prefer it have a sort of whiteboard annex to the VAB/SPH build screens for the engineering data manipulation. Perhaps by expanding an engineering complex in career mode, it could unlock more advanced KER type of features such as atmospheric Isp calculations at various planets and altitudes. Essential barebones KER feature is the ability to see full vs. empty mass as well as cost on a stage by stage basis.

The HUD features are outstanding, but they don't feel like they belong to KER as much as they seem almost like having a mechJeb 2.0 lite. Still awesome and I'd like to see those incorporated into the main game as well, but they're not as high a priority as the whiteboard with the ideal rocket equation and thrust/weight ratios that show min/max mass ratios.

( Speaking of fuel transfer again, i think the ability in vAb and/or sph and/or elswhere to set premade group of container for faster trageting and transfer could be interesting)

idea:

- you made a named group of container (vab/sph/inflight)

- this could fit as well a one after the other filling prioritisation or balancing like with tac add on

- then when in flight you can directly target this/thoose group of container for transfering fuel instead of the current one by one targeting wich i m sorry to say it again is actually really painfull when lot of container together.

Kerbal Engineer Redux (With !!!111!!! for emphasis).

I'm not crazy about KER, but with a bit of polishing, it should fit really well into the stock game. I personally would prefer it have a sort of whiteboard annex to the VAB/SPH build screens for the engineering data manipulation. Perhaps by expanding an engineering complex in career mode, it could unlock more advanced KER type of features such as atmospheric Isp calculations at various planets and altitudes. Essential barebones KER feature is the ability to see full vs. empty mass as well as cost on a stage by stage basis.

The HUD features are outstanding, but they don't feel like they belong to KER as much as they seem almost like having a mechJeb 2.0 lite. Still awesome and I'd like to see those incorporated into the main game as well, but they're not as high a priority as the whiteboard with the ideal rocket equation and thrust/weight ratios that show min/max mass ratios.

^ This is IMHO top priority.

Chatterer, Atmospheric sound enhancement

Oh yes. I was underestimating these mods until I actually tried using them for a while and then stopped... suddenly game felt like it's missing something big.

"Smallish" mods, eh? Aside from many of my favorites already mentioned by others, how about:

Landing Height. When the navball is set to "surface" mode, the altimeter reads the alt of the lowest part of the vessel above the terrain.

Enhanced Navball. Resizable and moveable navball, makes precision much better. I was hoping for this functionality when navball markers were added.

Docking Port Alignment Indicator or Navball Docking Indicator. The stock docking interface is a bit lacking, either of these greatly improves it.

Definitely tweakscale, I love it to bits and it could be used to reduce the number of parts in the VAB / SPH leading to both memory saving and simplification for new players.

also I'd agree with various others mentioned:

Kerbal Alarm Clock, not just because it's really handy but because it fills in the one important gap still missing, calculating transfer windows.

Chatterer, because once you have it on you can't live without it.

Planetshine and Distant Object Enhancement because they make the game look gorgeous.

Kerbal Engineer Redux, because it's incredibly handy

and finally:

Stage Recovery, because it makes sense.

Oh.. and the Stock Bugfix modules

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.