[WIP][1.0.2] WarpShip 0.3.2 - Update/expansion of IXS Enterprise

Sophia

WarpShip

bYkCHMrl.png

WarpShip is an update and expansion of the IXS Enterprise, focusing on updating everything to work properly in 1.0.2, adding some futuristic functionality while maintaining good integration with stock parts, and creating some new gameplay options but not adding too much complexity to the game. The core of the mod is, of course, Stevie_D's IXS Enterprise parts, but it also adds several models from KSP Interstellar in order to give more flexibility when building your WarpShip. However, WarpShip itself is not all that compatible with KSP Interstellar and the parts generally do vastly different things. WarpShip also uses quite a bit of code from the USI Alcubierre Warp Drive by RoverDude and Helaeon.

If you are upgrading from an earlier version of WarpShip, you should delete your old GameData/WarpShip directory or there will probably be issues with textures.

This mod probably won't break your saves but it is a WIP so I can't and won't guarantee anything.

Things I need to work on next:

• More testing and debugging
  • Continue to work on game balance
  • Add new parts that do crazy things

Download link

Source Code

bYkCHMr.png

5MdvfVR.png

LWxd8jL.png

If you aren't careful about the bubble size, this is what will happen...

sJvcaIll.png

XA68mqSl.png

- IXS Command Module

- IXS Command Module

- IXS Main Hull

- IXS Crew Habitat

- IXS Mobile Science Laboratory

- IXS Holding Tank

- IXS Fuel Tank

- Alcubierre Warp Drive

- Warp Drive Enhancer

- WT-01 Magnetoplasmadynamic Thruster

- WT-02 Quantum Vacuum Thruster

- Advanced Science Pod

- Advanced Sensor Array

- Antimatter Collector

- Develocitizer

- Jool Gas Collector

- Xenon Concentrator

- Plasma Reactor

- Warp Plasma Tank

- Zero Point Generator

- Communotron 99-99

- Enhanced Inline Stabilizer

- Mk3 to 3.75m Adapter (Xenon)

- Clamp-O-Tron 3.75m Docking Port

- Spacedocks

WarpShip is a standalone mod, but it borrows extensively from:

I am simply giving credit where credit is due; none of these mods are required to use WarpShip and in fact will probably clash with it. Firespitter is also no longer required, as I've borrowed the needed code from it as well.

Derivatives of stuff from KSP Interstellar, the USI Alcubierre Warp Drive, Firespitter, and the original IXS Enterprise are covered by the same license as the original.

My own additions are distributed under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

I did not make any of the models used except for the Zero Point Generator. All credit for the other models goes to their original authors.

For details as to where everything came from, please consult the individual files.

Edited by Sophia
Updated!

Thank you so much for continuing this mod! Next to the Endurance it is probably THE most iconic piece of end-level parts you would want to get to in the game.

1 question though: i don't see the Quantum Vacuum engine (i do see the Plasma Torch). Is that as intended?

Also, could you post a schematic (using KVV for instance) of how you see the new setup with the plasma reactor and Xenon concentrator? It's interesting... but a bit confusing .

Edited by Denko666

Thank you so much for continuing this mod! Next to the Endurance it is probably THE most iconic piece of end-level parts you would want to get to in the game.

1 question though: i don't see the Quantum Vacuum engine (i do see the Plasma Torch). Is that as intended?

Also, could you post a schematic (using KVV for instance) of how you see the new setup with the plasma reactor and Xenon concentrator? It's interesting... but a bit confusing .

I agree. I was disappointed to see it go idle and wanted to do my part.

I didn't include the Quantum Vacuum engine in this version because it needs some heavy tweaking, in my opinion. Ideally, I'd like to give it a new mechanic to make it feel different than just being a high-ISP electricity hog; we've already got ion engines for that. It'll definitely make its way back in eventually, though.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I'll try to post a visual reference at some point but for now I'll at least attempt to explain a bit. I liked the amount of flexibility inherent in the original parts and I tried to make sure that any additions or changes I made continued to support a wide variety of ships, so there's no one thing I had in mind. The Alcubierre Warp Drive (which is the heart of WarpShip, after all) requires Electric Charge and Warp Plasma to run. A Plasma Reactor simply converts Warp Plasma to Electric Charge. You don't strictly need one, because it's not that much better than a few Gigantor XLs, so it really depends on where you're going and what other sources of power your ship has available. The Xenon Concentrator is used along with the Jool Gas Collector to use gas you've scooped from the atmosphere of Jool to generate Xenon for your ion engines. You can also use an Antimatter Collector to (slowly) re-energize Warp Plasma.

I've tested a few different ship configurations but of course I'm open to suggestions for parts that will improve balance or make more designs feasible. I'm hoping to be able to do more with scooped gas from Jool, too. (I'll admit there will probably be somewhat of a Jool bias to this mod, because it's my favorite place to go with a warp-capable ship!)

Among other improvements, v0.2 will include WarpTech Industries as a manufacturer you can see in the VAB, so you can see all of the parts included here at once.

this mod is really cool but should it turn my ksp into a rainbow when ever i use it to escape the sun

I'm not totally sure what this could be, but I have a feeling that any weirdness if you escape the sun is just because you're doing something KSP wasn't really designed for. It certainly doesn't seem like any sort of a bug I can fix, anyway.

I agree. I was disappointed to see it go idle and wanted to do my part.

I didn't include the Quantum Vacuum engine in this version because it needs some heavy tweaking, in my opinion. Ideally, I'd like to give it a new mechanic to make it feel different than just being a high-ISP electricity hog; we've already got ion engines for that. It'll definitely make its way back in eventually, though.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I'll try to post a visual reference at some point but for now I'll at least attempt to explain a bit. I liked the amount of flexibility inherent in the original parts and I tried to make sure that any additions or changes I made continued to support a wide variety of ships, so there's no one thing I had in mind. The Alcubierre Warp Drive (which is the heart of WarpShip, after all) requires Electric Charge and Warp Plasma to run. A Plasma Reactor simply converts Warp Plasma to Electric Charge. You don't strictly need one, because it's not that much better than a few Gigantor XLs, so it really depends on where you're going and what other sources of power your ship has available. The Xenon Concentrator is used along with the Jool Gas Collector to use gas you've scooped from the atmosphere of Jool to generate Xenon for your ion engines. You can also use an Antimatter Collector to (slowly) re-energize Warp Plasma.

I've tested a few different ship configurations but of course I'm open to suggestions for parts that will improve balance or make more designs feasible. I'm hoping to be able to do more with scooped gas from Jool, too. (I'll admit there will probably be somewhat of a Jool bias to this mod, because it's my favorite place to go with a warp-capable ship!)

Among other improvements, v0.2 will include WarpTech Industries as a manufacturer you can see in the VAB, so you can see all of the parts included here at once.

I'm not totally sure what this could be, but I have a feeling that any weirdness if you escape the sun is just because you're doing something KSP wasn't really designed for. It certainly doesn't seem like any sort of a bug I can fix, anyway.

I'll play around with the different ways to assemble the ship, and post some blueprints here. Does that sound good to you?

Wait, did you pull code out from the Firespitter plugin? That sounds like a pretty bad idea. If you just included the entire Firespitter plugin, people could just install the new version themselves if something breaks in the plugin.

If I understood it correctly, you made yor own warp plugin based on RoverDude's, right? What is your reasoning for not just using Roverdude's?

I'll play around with the different ways to assemble the ship, and post some blueprints here. Does that sound good to you?
That sounds great. Thank you! :)
Wait, did you pull code out from the Firespitter plugin? That sounds like a pretty bad idea. If you just included the entire Firespitter plugin, people could just install the new version themselves if something breaks in the plugin.
Actually, protecting users from things breaking is why I did it this way: the Firespitter code that I've used works with my mod and does what it needs to, so I can just leave it there and let it do its thing. If later versions of Firespitter end up having changes, improvements, or bugs or whatever that would break my mod, this way nobody has to worry about that. Anyway, the amount of code I needed was actually quite small, so introducing an external dependency just for this one thing didn't seem worth it in a mod that otherwise wouldn't have any and would otherwise not use Firespitter at all.
If I understood it correctly, you made yor own warp plugin based on RoverDude's, right? What is your reasoning for not just using Roverdude's?
I think RoverDude's plugin is quite nice, and I certainly couldn't have made my mod without it, so nothing I say should be taken as disparaging it. It's just that there was simply stuff I wanted to do with with my warp drive that wasn't possible to do, like adding a "Warp Enhancer" to increase the bubble's size, tweaking the warp bubble's color and animation, playing a warning sound when the drive's failsafe kicks in, or a few other little hacks and minor bug fixes. I also removed any link to ModuleEngines because I preferred a warp drive not using math meant for rocket engines, which required a fair amount of restructuring from the original version.
I'm totally cool with you maintaining this mod. I was never too good with it anyway.
Thanks, I'll do my best.

I think RoverDude's plugin is quite nice, and I certainly couldn't have made my mod without it, so nothing I say should be taken as disparaging it. It's just that there was simply stuff I wanted to do with with my warp drive that wasn't possible to do, like adding a "Warp Enhancer" to increase the bubble's size, tweaking the warp bubble's color and animation, playing a warning sound when the drive's failsafe kicks in, or a few other little hacks and minor bug fixes. I also removed any link to ModuleEngines because I preferred a warp drive not using math meant for rocket engines, which required a fair amount of restructuring from the original version.

Ahh, I see. Some of those changes could get into RoverDude's version of the plugin if you submitted a pull request. I'll have to try your version out. Do you know if it can be installed alongside RoverDude's, or will cause conflicts?

Ahh, I see. Some of those changes could get into RoverDude's version of the plugin if you submitted a pull request. I'll have to try your version out. Do you know if it can be installed alongside RoverDude's, or will cause conflicts?
Yes, I definitely will contribute back once my code is a bit more stable and I'm reasonably sure it doesn't have any bugs.

I've renamed everything, and I actually had both my plugin and RoverDude's installed at the same time during most of early development, so it should work fine without conflicts, but I'm not 100% sure.

And now here's an update. I've added an emissive texture and a new particle effect to the QV Engine. It looks much nicer now, so I think it'll be ready to go in v0.2.

y2Wovrul.png

Version 0.2 released!

Among other things, it includes a Quantum Vacuum Generator, which I made myself.

b6lwOCUl.png

I'm far from an expert at 3d art, so it's not up to the excellent quality of the rest of the parts in the mod, but it looks decent as part of a whole ship, so I'm satisfied.

LWxd8jLl.png

Version 0.2 released!

Among other things, it includes a Quantum Vacuum Generator, which I made myself.

http://i.imgur.com/b6lwOCUl.png

I'm far from an expert at 3d art, so it's not up to the excellent quality of the rest of the parts in the mod, but it looks decent as part of a whole ship, so I'm satisfied.

http://i.imgur.com/LWxd8jLl.png

Naw, I think it looks pretty good, Sophia! My only comment would be that I think the glowing bits should be blue instead of green. Same for the engine exhaust effects. Why, you ask? Well, for one, I like the color blue better than green. :) Two, I think it would fit more with the original IXS parts, the warp rings have the blue glowy lights on the inside, and also ZZZ's parts glow predominantly blue, with just a little bit of red.

Just sayin'. :) Looking forward to trying out the new stuff as soon as I'm able.

Later! :D

To put it in the words of the great Manley: YOU..ARE..GLORIOUS, just GLORIOUS

i'll be adjusting my craft file and putting this in in the build queue of my spacedock ASAP

Edited by Denko666

Version 0.2.1 released!

I think the glowing bits should be blue instead of green.
You make a persuasive argument, but I rather like the green effects.

So, in v0.2.1 I've just made it configurable via the right click menu.

rvr7hlvl.png

1DBUgiQl.png

C54W0jjl.png

Hey- just a note, the quantum vacuum thruster doesn't allow objects to attach on the bottom.
Fixed!

Version 0.2.1 released!

You make a persuasive argument, but I rather like the green effects.

So, in v0.2.1 I've just made it configurable via the right click menu.

http://i.imgur.com/rvr7hlvl.png

http://i.imgur.com/1DBUgiQl.png

http://i.imgur.com/C54W0jjl.png

Wow, thank you! That's remarkably kind of you to even consider making a change to your mod based on a single request. :) And your solution is brilliant, this way the folks who hate blue but love purple aren't left out, etc.

You win the internet for today, Sophia, in my opinion anyway. Have some +Rep! :D

That's remarkably kind of you to even consider making a change to your mod based on a single request.
I hope it doesn't seem less kind if I admit it was something I was considering doing anyway, and your request just pushed me over the edge. ;)
Does this mod offer the Spacedocks as well as the Command Module as a solo download?
I actually forgot about the Spacedocks because I personally don't use them. I'll make sure to update them for 1.0.2 (if needed) and put them in the next version.
Would it be possible to get just the command module as a seperate download?
Not at the moment. The mod is still a WIP so I'd rather not have multiple different downloads to worry about. That said, the overall mod is not a huge download so you could always just delete all of the parts except IXSCommandModule if that's the only part you wanted. You'll still need WarpShip.dll to make the doors function, unless you change it back to using Firespitter by editing the cfg file. Let me know if you need any help, of course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.