[WIP][1.0.2] WarpShip 0.3.2 - Update/expansion of IXS Enterprise

Sophia

First look...Everything seems to be there and in the right folders...Parts look good with no obvious glitches. No doors or interior for the command pod, but I can understand why (and it may have been taken out of the mod a while back...I don't know ) Functionality is mixed, as expected. The main Alcubierre ring has no right click options in VAB or launched....It does have the warp bubble field indicator...but no toggle for it...so it is on permanently.

I need to put it in a stock 1.1 release instal...since I do have quite a few mods that may be conflicting with this...Including RoverDudes standalone warpdrives.

Great start tho:)

i know why no functionality is showing up. with 1.1 there are more libraries to import. But with the new libraries in place i do get build errors. More specifically in the Warpdrive module. 

I feel inclined to revert to reference Roverdude's Warpdrive module from the Alcubiere Drive mod, instead of trying to fix this. 

What do you guys think?

I don't see a major problem with going to RoverDude's warpdrive system...It would actually probably make both the mods more desirable having them work together.

I tried to get a Warpship flying  (just normal flight, not warp) last night, and both the engines I tried from the mod were unusable. Very low thrusts, and seemed to thrust off access, causing the ship to tumble even using SAS and RCS.

Also the power drain of the QV drive very quickly drains even the large reactor in the parts..

I think the instability under thrust might be that the reaction wheels and SAS are not working in the mod parts...(I have seen something like this with the USI Honeybadger parts) I shall try a build today with stock parts that test out as working.

I think the power usage and thrust outputs are just a matter of tweaking the configs of both.

Let me know if there is anything else I can be testing out for you...I have not tried RoverDudes warp prts yet either...so will have a go and see how they work...I think his Alcubierre drive rings are a lot smaller.

10 hours ago, Denko666 said:

I don't see a button to open/close the bay door in the command pod. I'll need to check that out... Solar panels in the main hull seem to work tho. 

Nod...there was a real mix of working/present but not working/ missing functionality in the parts...pretty much as expected considering :) I did wonder about the command pod interior...that was a really nice feature of the original mod.

Update. Either something was broken in my instal...or Squad fixed some stuff in their update yesterday.

SAS and RCS look to be working properly now..Also the engines look to be working much better...tho may need some tweaking.

I'm thinking something was missing in my instal...because I clean installed and added hyperedit, mechjeb, KER alongside KIS/KAS and the warpship. ( I wanted better info on stats and a way to easily move a ship to orbit.)

So...basic functionality is there...we can build a ship and fly it in space...and control it as we are doing so.

Next test is in my full modded instal...just updated to the latest build this morning...See if it was another mod breaking th8ings :)

Replicated tyhe ship I was testing last night...It is now working (still with no warp) in normal drive...Pretty sure either I or Squad fixed something from last night...Joys of testing :)

sfe0Ree.png

Shot with all right click menus of main components open

E2eiQOX.png

Forgive the self indulgence...I had to take one "beauty" shot :)

Final Image for now...This one same as the stats one above...but with drive running

2Yu2njW.png

I noticed no power drain at all when using either drive.

On 4/14/2016 at 5:13 AM, Denko666 said:

i know why no functionality is showing up. with 1.1 there are more libraries to import. But with the new libraries in place i do get build errors. More specifically in the Warpdrive module. 

I feel inclined to revert to reference Roverdude's Warpdrive module from the Alcubiere Drive mod, instead of trying to fix this. 

What do you guys think?

First off, thank you so much for continuing this Epic mod, I love the pieces and cant wait to include them in 1.1 builds, I know Roverdude is very diligent in his mod upkeep so making it to work with his warp drive seems like a good idea if you cant get this one to work. If thats what you mean. :cool:

2 hours ago, DeathProphet said:

First off, thank you so much for continuing this Epic mod, I love the pieces and cant wait to include them in 1.1 builds, I know Roverdude is very diligent in his mod upkeep so making it to work with his warp drive seems like a good idea if you cant get this one to work. If thats what you mean. :cool:

My thoughts too,... i'm only just beginning with modding. And i don't want to re-invent the wheel. I'm sure that by using RoverDude's module to make these parts work we're that much closer to keeping this mod up to date and relevant. But even by using his mod, i'll need some time to get my head around coding for this thing. Why? 'cause i'm a sysadmin Jim, not a developer. 

This mod used to be on CKAN,.... if anyone knows how to get that up to date again and can tell me how i should package for making it work with CKAN. That would really help me out. I'm only 1 guy and as any woman can tell you... guys can't multitask. (on their own, thats why we travel in packs)

Version 0.3.3 beta is up.

Alcubierre drive is now using RoverDude's Alcubierre Warpdrive (standalone). So make sure u have that mod also installed.

Please use GitHub issues tracking for the project: https://github.com/bartblommaerts/warpship/issues That should keep things organised for me (srsly, i need to keep it organised, so use it).

Happy testing!

Thanks for doing it Denko. When i originally planned to update this mod, the first thing on my to do list was to make the stock game version use RoverDude's warp drive mod. It makes perfect sense, and im glad you've managed to get it going in 1.1. DLing now to give it a whirl. :)

I'm not trying to discourage you from continuing this, since you look like you're nearly there, but i just wanted to give you a heads up that im working on a totally new version of this mod, re-doing the entire thing from the ground up now unity 5 has unshackled my constraints. BUT, i wont be near completion of it for a good long while yet, so please please please keep up with this one. Infact if you have any questions about it, feel free to nudge me in PM.

If you like as well, when you feel it's to a standard of your liking, i'll replace my old defunct .24 version with this one at the IXS curseforge page. (and obvs give credit.)

Thanks for picking up the torch, Denko!

Hey Stevie_D!  

Glad you approve, i don't want to step on anyone's toes. But with 1.1 out, i felt the IXS just couldn't be left stuck on version 1.0.5. 

I'm very excited to hear you're working on a revamp! Are you redoing the models too? (any chance on a sneak preview?) 

I watched the modelling tutorial for ksp, but i'm just not the artistic type. Haven't tried it, but i probably could do simple models using OpenSCAD. But i'm just interested in keeping the mod compatible and functional. 

On that last bit, i was pondering on how to better integrate the IXS with other mods and most importantly leveraging Community Resources. The EC to XM conversion feels a bit like a cheat. so i was considering the following : split functionality for drive and xm conversion between the 2 rings. i think this was already so at some point in the mod's history. Then: use the Tocamac/Arc reactor (housed in the main hull) principle to essentially make more EC out of EC from the solar panels + some resource to keep the reaction going. that boosted EC is then used to power a miniature Large Hadron Collider in the secondary ring to bombard electrons into or out of a second resource in order to form the XM needed by the warp drive. so the chain would be: ec + resource1 (ex: argon) = boosted ec (thinking 1.21gigawatt ;)) + resource2 (xenon? uranium? Ore?...) = xm. Then the pods sitting in front of the lab and crew quarter could like be able to extract trace ammounts of 1 or 2 of the resources from space, or maybe outer atmosphere layers of planets (like what Sophia did with the jool gas). or 1 of the resources needs to be mined from a planet or asteroid, which is where one of those pods on top and at the bottom of the ship (which never got modelled)  would play a role. 

Do you have plans for the functional part of your revamped version? maybe we can sync the 2 designs in that regard? 

grtz, 

Denko

Mod is posted to Spacedock, CKAN option enabled. 

This takes version 0.3.3 public, it is by no means finished... but it should be functional enough to enjoy in KSP 1.1

Should any hiccups occur, please submit a ticket on the github page, and i'll look into it asap.

24 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

I find things suspiciously quiet in here,... Either there are indeed no bugs worth mentioning or everyone has /ragequit...

Ok, let's break that suspicious silence (and then ragequit :D):

• The models load well in 1.1.0 VAB, and all pieces attach as intended, no problems there. The doors on the command pod open and close. I didn't yet get to the point of launching to test flight, but they look beautiful.
  • I do miss the option to attach certain parts radially, for example the 1.25m tanks, hab, and science modules would allow more creative assembly if they could also attach radially.
  • A little annoyance, more my own problem than yours: there's five 'caps' (the 1.25m top modules - the two gas intakes, sensors, science, and develocitizer), but only four possible nodes to place them on in the default way of assembling. So make a choice, you would say, and you're right, but still, it leaves the impression that there should be an extra node somewhere to place that fifth cap on.
  • Similar to that, there are two different 2.5m thruster modules, yet there is only one 2.5m node, and not really a whole lot of ways to vary the design. Not entirely sure why one would ever choose to use the much lower thrust module over the other.
  • Another tiny annoyance: none of the beautifully modeled windows have emissive lighting, something that the very porkalike texturing strongly implies there should be. The 'lights on' toggle only toggles the lights inside of the command pod. All the parts with windows really need a lights toggle to turn on lights behind those windows.
  • When I used two warp modules placed on the same ship, using the 'show bubble guide' to toggle either one in the VAB always showed the bubble centered on the lower of the two modules. Roverdude's standalone Alcubierre Warp Drive module showed this issue as well, btw. emission
Edited by swjr-swis

54 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Ok, let's break that suspicious silence (and then ragequit )

• The models load well in 1.1.0 VAB, and all pieces attach as intended, no problems there. The doors on the command pod open and close. I didn't yet get to the point of launching to test flight, but they look beautiful.
  • I do miss the option to attach certain parts radially, for example the 1.25m tanks, hab, and science modules would allow more creative assembly if they could also attach radially.
  • A little annoyance, more my own problem than yours: there's five 'caps' (the 1.25m top modules - the two gas intakes, sensors, science, and develocitizer), but only four possible nodes to place them on in the default way of assembling. So make a choice, you would say, and you're right, but still, it leaves the impression that there should be an extra node somewhere to place that fifth cap on.
  • Similar to that, there are two different 2.5m thruster modules, yet there is only one 2.5m node, and not really a whole lot of ways to vary the design. Not entirely sure why one would ever choose to use the much lower thrust module over the other.
  • Another tiny annoyance: none of the beautifully modeled windows have emissive lighting, something that the very porkalike texturing strongly implies there should be. The 'lights on' toggle only toggles the lights inside of the command pod. All the parts with windows really need a lights toggle to turn on lights behind those windows.
  • When I used two warp modules placed on the same ship, using the 'show bubble guide' to toggle either one in the VAB always showed the bubble centered on the lower of the two modules. Roverdude's standalone Alcubierre Warp Drive module showed this issue as well, btw. emission

Yay, things to fix 

The radial attaching thing i'll look into. This has changed between 1.0.5 and 1.1

The different caps come from previous maintainers, and their functionality has changed according. One of the reasons there are more then u can place is because somewhere in the mod's history you could choose between the fully EC powered QV drive and a xenon fueled one. The caps in front could then be swapped to allow xenon extraction from Jool's outer atmosphere. 

The 2 lookalike engines is just me toying with ideas i got from watching videos from NASA about alternative means of propulsion. The resource requirements will probably change in comming updates as i revamp the whole fuel/resource flow for the IXS.

As for the lights in the windows,... I have no clue how to do that, so that will take some time to do.

No warpship should ever have 2 warpdrives. There is a warpdrive ring and a warpdrive support ring. When i'm done with the resource overhaul, you will need both to make the warpdrive work.

So... I take these in as issues:

- make parts radial attachable 

- light-up windows

- rework resource flow

- diversify the thrusters 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.