[WIP]Somewhat detailed engine

Sage

Just a quick first mod that I did for myself, but I thought that someone might find it interesting so I decided to share.

It is just an engine, with a bulkhead of 1.25m but with a thrust intermediate between the skipper an the LV-30, and a better ISP in vac, but lower at sea level

https://mega.co.nz/#F!3s0hwAIA!FAeybc3a-SC3VReaEb2cjw

drop this folder in your gamedata

INSTALL HOTROCKETS IF YOU WANT TO SEE ANY EFFECT, SINCE I REFERENCED NAZARI'S EXCELLENT WORK TO MAKE THEM

While it's not based on any particular engine, I've tried to replicate RL component and to design it by replicating piping that you see on the real stuff. Below there are the flow diagrams that I sketched (with elite paint skillz) to check if everything was modelled correctly:

hHmGT.png

you can see it's an open cycle engine, with boost pumps pushed by the high pressure fluids at the inlets and a stacked, direct, back to back turbopump design.

hHmGo.png

The fuel flow is used for active cooling, both in a descendent branch that is then fed back to the injection plate, while another part goes directly there while passing from the throat. A small quantity is used to lubricate and control the gimballing pistons and dumped as needed

Talking about pistons, the gimballing is animated correctly with flexible inlets as well:

hHcBt.png

hHczL.png

The emissives are modelled somewhat accurately, by superimposing a map of the internal heat to a map of the cooling of a determinate part:

hHcCZ.png

eyecandy render in blender

hHcwz.png

in game. the emissive are on the gas generator as well :)

License since I need one is CC-BY 4.0 International

Thanks everyone for the kind worlds :)

Wow I love it! Needs RO config :3

I play with a RO-like install in 64* kerbin so I will probably do one when the new RO will come out. Other than that if the RO crew wants to use this in the mod they're free to do it, but I don't know if it fits the bill of being a RL engine :P

Wow your work is stunning :) Are you planning to do more ?

Possibly yes, I've several other engines planned, but I've also several exams in my way. Anyway the next one should be an expander cycle engine for vacuum use with extensible shroud.

No sound but look great.

Strange, it should be referencing stock sounds, and it works on my machine. Can someone else confirm this bug?

And BTW, if someone wants the .blend or the unity project file, or even an explanation on how I got stuff working just ask!

Edited by Sage

Hello Sage, do you have any public reference material from which you worked out all the components of that engine? It would go well in the Engineer's Handbook for Modders sticky

Nope, actually I used information I found in that incredible book about engine design you linked there, plus looking at photos of the real things that you can found searching on google and wikipedia

What's... what's the polygon count? :confused:

Only 5k tris, I think I've decimated it fairly well :) (more than most stock models, but I've played with mods that have pieces in this range. And in ksp part polys tend to add up only to relatively small numbers compared to most games, and the biggest performance hit is usually the ground of the planet you're on)

Only 5k tris, I think I've decimated it fairly well :) (more than most stock models, but I've played with mods that have pieces in this range. And in ksp part polys tend to add up only to relatively small numbers compared to most games, and the biggest performance hit is usually the ground of the planet you're on)

If so, the Bravo.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.