The Comprehensive Cooperative Easter Egg List of KSP

Starwhip

Well, if you're having a section on spoil-y game mechanics, is that

pyramid on Duna still there, the one that emits the SSTV signal? I think that'd be a really hard one to find and figure out what it was if you had no idea beforehand.

The description of one of the electricity science nodes reads "were pretty sure nobody will need more than 64kw for anything", relating to a comment by a smart guy at Microsoft in the earlier days of personal computers saying that nobody will ever need more than 64mb (or was it kb) of memory... Clearly he never modded his ksp install

The Oscar-B Fuel Tank says "Do not wash in cold water, or feed after midnight." This is a reference to the movie, Gremlins, where getting them wet or feeding them after midnight turns the cute cuddlers into demons from hell.

Are you planning on adding the physical Easter eggs?

Considering the other thread, no. I'll keep this one about the ones it does not cover.

I'll update this eventually, can't do it so well on mobile.

I was under the impression that the basic jet engine, now called the "Wheesley" was a reference to "Wheatley" from the Portal series. You have to admit, it does have a slight resemblance..

The Probodobyne HECS part refers to the possibility of "autonomous spacecraft cores becoming self-aware and turning against their creators, or even becoming very stubborn at opening pod bay doors." This is 2-layered egg. 1st: in "2001: A Space Odyssey" HAL 9000 was an autonomous self-aware spacecraft core that turned against his creators and refused to open the pod bay doors. 2nd: HAL 9000 is an Easter egg in its own right. The letter after H is "I". The letter after A is "B" and the letter after L is "M." Arthur C. Clarke was egging IBM corp when he came up with HAL.

A long time ago, I saw an interview on tv with Arthur C. Clarke; He stated HAL's name had nothing to do with IBM, as did Stanley Kubrik (at a later date). As stated in the book (2001: A Space Odyssey), HAL stands for "Heuristic ALgorithmic". However, Clarke was positively influenced by feats performed by early IBM computers (he was a computer geek/buff himself), and ended up deciding to have HAL sing 'Daisy' (A Bicycle Built For Two) in both his book and the movie.

A long time ago, I saw an interview on tv with Arthur C. Clarke; He stated HAL's name had nothing to do with IBM, as did Stanley Kubrik (at a later date). As stated in the book (2001: A Space Odyssey), HAL stands for "Heuristic ALgorithmic". However, Clarke was positively influenced by feats performed by early IBM computers (he was a computer geek/buff himself), and ended up deciding to have HAL sing 'Daisy' (A Bicycle Built For Two) in both his book and the movie.

Weird, cause I've read that he asked IBM if he could use their TLA, however they refused so he incremented each letter of IBM.

Ooh! I've been waiting for one of these.

Here are some of the things I've found in KSP over the years:

On the Large and Small Remote Guidance Units, a variety of... interesting... circuit boards can be found. Examples include circuit boards labeled "Thingamajig" and "Oscillotatotron." (These labels show up better on pre-1.0 versions, though they're still there now.)

On the inside of the Airbrakes, there's a 'Danger!' warning that shows a Kerbal's head in the airbrake. (In other words, don't stick your head in there!)

On the black part of the Crew Cabin, between the windows, it says KRU-K4B1N MK2.

Of course, on the Mobile Processing Lab, the words 'ISS' and 'M[backwards-N]P' appear, which is the International Space Station and Mir in Cyrillic. In addition, the international spacecraft IDs of the two stations are seen at the top of the module.

I read somewhere that the antenna has the word 'BEEP' written in ASCII on it.

There are loads of other little things in KSP, which I tend to notice far too much... I'll make a note of them if I can find them again :)

-Upsilon

Weird, cause I've read that he asked IBM if he could use their TLA, however they refused so he incremented each letter of IBM.

There are a number of sources which document the truth of this... but this should nicely sum it up.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000#Origin_of_name

Another reference.....

http://www.zinzin.com/observations/2014/how-hal-from-2001-a-space-odyssey-got-his-name-and-no-its-not-ibm-minus-one/

Clarke was an amazing man. He was my most favorite author, for many reasons. This is worth viewing.....

If you. Take a surface sample on duna you can get a report that says something like 'You find the rack very hard to drill into-you think it would be a lot easier if you had a pulsing drill thing on a robotic arm'

Well, if you're having a section on spoil-y game mechanics, is that
pyramid on Duna still there, the one that emits the SSTV signal? I think that'd be a really hard one to find and figure out what it was if you had no idea beforehand.

I was wondering if it still works. Seems like people forgot about "The Beepy Thing". I think It was meant to be a part of a bigger story, but don't remember seeing the actual details.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.