Who loves the new aero model?

OscarWilde

I am simply loving the new aero model of 1.0.x; I did not like the drag changes seen in 1.0.2 at first, but after getting used to it (learning and building etc) I am finding it is balanced rather well. Despite anything, I totally think that the 1.0.x aero model is a drastic improvement from the 0.90 model.

As more of a rocket kind of guy, I like the new aero. I'm playing KSP more than I used to during beta, and I didn't realize it was partly because of the beta's easy aero model. Now it's much more challenging, and that keeps me going.

Oh boy, did we need better aerodynamics. The whole update made things make much more sense, actually; before the update, taking a probe core with a single fuel tank and the smallest Rockax engine to orbit was absurd emough, let alone landing it to the KSC on engine power afterwards.

...Damn it, now I feel the need to try that on 1.0 :P

I'm currently using the aero with somewhat dialled-down drag values (not 1.0 low, just in between the two), but I will work up to 1.0.2 drag levels. I've just got an SSTO working with my values, so the job now is to make sure it can work with the higher drag, which it may well be able to do. I'm honestly more concerned about the poor vacuum ISP of the RAPIER, and that may well be something I look into adjusting seeing as it is supposed to be an advanced engine.

Other than that, I really do like the new aerodynamics. Planes definitely fly much nicer now, and rockets are fine, though I just need to refine a couple of launchers and I'll be set :)

FA5q2j1.png

Yep, a completely exposed torus, because there's literally no other way I'd have got it up into orbit. The rocket I'm using was modified from one of my base models to incorporate those big winglets towards the bottom in an effort to increase stability, as well as the multitude of ASAS computers stacked on top of the boosters :P

TO6HM36.png

Dat drag. Caused quite a few launch failures before I finally managed to keep the rocket steady enough to get past the thicker atmosphere. It doesn't help that the Mk2 cabins have lift ratings that may well have interfered with everything :rolleyes:

sMVZOXQ.png

A couple of more sane launches later, and Skywatch Orbital is a functional, if incomplete, station that defied the rules of the new aerodynamics :D

Edited by RogueMason

I don't. I spent the afternon trying to understand why my rockets are flipping. Check forums, tutorials, videos...

I think I miss something obvious and that's higly frustrating.

I play KSP since 0.90 and I just cannot do the switch to 1.0.2

Maybe tomorrow I will understand and double facepalm myself. But for the moment I fear you will disgust the new comers with such difficulty.

I don't. I spent the afternon trying to understand why my rockets are flipping. Check forums, tutorials, videos...

I think I miss something obvious and that's higly frustrating.

I play KSP since 0.90 and I just cannot do the switch to 1.0.2

Maybe tomorrow I will understand and double facepalm myself. But for the moment I fear you will disgust the new comers with such difficulty.

Going too fast probably

I am really loving it! I can make things go fast! (And I mean fast!)

eoU7lHB.png

ntSsHLN.png

Those two pictures were literally taken a split second apart. I managed to scare Jeb!

On the serious side, it makes flying a whole lot more fun, and rocket launches are easier too. Squad did a great job!

On the serious side, it makes flying a whole lot more fun, and rocket launches are easier too. Squad did a great job!

Yeah right, easy for all you guys to find the game "FUN!" Because planes are flying fast when you have 1.8 tons jet engines generating 1000kn of thrust to fight against the soupy atmosphere.

Now fly with a realistic 100kn of total thrust for those planes for you to see how really wrong everything is.

Those two pictures were literally taken a split second apart. I managed to scare Jeb!

The screens I posted earlier were the same, I always had my finger on the screenshot button trying to hold off as long as possible! Sometimes I'd click it RIGHT as it blew up, or to early and see the m/s go higher.. Everything turns so quickly from happy Jeb to terrified Jeb!

I've been enjoying the new aero model even as just a rocket builder. An interesting challenge punching an unwieldy top heavy space station core through the new aero. Had to balance it out with fins for part of the stability and Swivel engines for the rest, plus a much flatter gravity turn than I was used to. Probably better ways to do it but there is fun in the "I'm going to make this work damn it!" approach.

In beta 0.9, launching rocket was finally dull. I usually used MJ to do the ascent and even staging while doing something else.

With 1.0.2, at first I was unhappy because I wasn't able to send anything to irbit. I struggled a lot toi achieve it. Still, I fail sometimes. MJ can also fail to orbit rocket I can orbit myself.

Well, struggling is mostly behind be. Orbiting and renetry is more challenging and interesting. You have to test more, not only getting the correct dV and TWR.

Also flying planes is much more interesting.

Sure there are some glitches on some parts regarding heating but that's marginal. I found new Aero a very positive thing to Kerbal SP.

I like it. It's by far better than the old system.

Still far from perfect (nearly non-existent reentry heat being a major issue) but I have no doubt that it was a big leap in a right direction!

Actually the new aero system is the major reason why I came back to KSP after a long break.

Edited by Sky_walker

In beta 0.9, launching rocket was finally dull. I usually used MJ to do the ascent and even staging while doing something else.

With 1.0.2, at first I was unhappy because I wasn't able to send anything to irbit. I struggled a lot toi achieve it. Still, I fail sometimes. MJ can also fail to orbit rocket I can orbit myself.

I've had MJ fail a few low TWR rockets (I think that was the problem) I built prior to 0.9. I would overshoot my target altitude and circularize the orbit on the descent. I don't think I've ever seen MJ do this, though maybe if I put the target altitude lower than the level altitude on the manual curve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.