Who loves the new aero model?

OscarWilde

I've been playing around in 1.0x and I am finally able to make aircraft! I never really got into FAR so this is the first I've experienced of the plane side of KSP; and I love it!

Currently going for the fastest design I can manage! Here's a couple screens:

UAU1uB0.jpg

Gh9X6ys.jpg

7smd9li.jpg

It's going pretty well, :P VERY new to the plane stuff, so i'm cheating without fuel ATM, as it's much easier to just worry about stability and CoL and CoM right now.

Passed Mach Three so that's exciting! Next stop: Mach Four!! Only 200 m/s short... and a NON exploding craft! Good news though: Valentina survived that horrific highspeed combustion event.

How's everyone else enjoying the new model? How does it compare to FAR? Also, has anyone learned how NOT to do that last picture? I can't really throw a heat shield on, as it would destroy the aero.. but I can't go much faster without blowing up every time!

Also: as an aside... does it annoy anyone else that f12 now turns on the Aero Forces Overlay AND takes Steam screenshots.. can I change the Steam key for screen shots? As I would also love using the AFO without taking a screenshot every time.

So close... (For those who don't know Mach 4 = 1361 m/s)

euS8mHJ.jpg

Blew up right after taking this screen... This is literally just an intake inline with a remote guidance unit and four engines... with some airbrakes for steering and tiny, tiny wings!

Here's a view from the hangar (design is based loosely on the Boeing x-51, at least in the minimalist sense):

3dqkhbV.jpg

That's beautiful. :D

I love the new aero. I'm aware it has a few flaws and could stand to be tweaked a little, sure, but it's such a huge improvement over the old aero! I love that wings can stall now. I love that moving fast through air causes heat. I love that airhogging has been fixed. I love that mach effects are present but still slightly easier than reality, so you can make crazy airplane designs without worrying about transonic instability.

I love the new aero model. Now that the capsule-flipping issue is fixed my only remaining complaint is anything with fairings seems to need fins, even with MechJeb guidance. Best part for me is (unlike FAR in 0.90) MechJeb's aerocapture/reentry predictions work with the new aero. So satisfying to be able send a pod all the way from Mun orbit & have it parachute down right next to KSC, or do an aerocapture without worrying about having it turn into a (crash-)landing if I come in too low.

Not a huge fan of the way the heating works. Seems too much for fast planes, too little for reentry. Or maybe the turbo jets just need to be toned down....hard to keep things from blowing up without feathering the throttle a lot. Also, the temperature gauges make my plane look like it has the bar pox after a while. Thinking maybe they should be replaced with a single gauge somewhere that tells you the temperature of the hottest part, and have all the little ones be an option that can be enabled using F9.

Other than that, I like it.

Edited by Sidereus

I do!

I can't believe the amount of whining in other threads about what some constant should be set to, and comparing some value that they think is too high to the old soup-o-sphere.

*part occlusion: two side by side pieves have more drag than two inline pieces, unlike the old model. Fairings: added

*Drag model not based on mass: A full tank and an empty tank don't have the same terminal velocity

* Proper V^2 lift relationship: wings actually still work in thinner air at higher speeds, airplanes can actually pull some Gs now

*Body lift, drag depends on orientation: Now you can control the amount aerobraking during a pass by pointing your craft prograde or radial. You also have to do proper gravity turns

* Proper effects on Isp: Thrust loss, not increased fuel consumption

* Proper Isp calculation for airbreathing jets, reduced thrust at altitudes (air hogging: gone)

Massive improvements!!!

To whine about some constant being maybe 25% too high and saying its re-introducing the old soup-o-sphere is just ridiculous.

Haters gonna Hate.

So close... (For those who don't know Mach 4 = 1361 m/s)

http://i.imgur.com/euS8mHJ.jpg

Blew up right after taking this screen... This is literally just an intake inline with a remote guidance unit and four engines... with some airbrakes for steering and tiny, tiny wings!

Here's a view from the hangar (design is based loosely on the Boeing x-51, at least in the minimalist sense):

http://i.imgur.com/3dqkhbV.jpg

Just climb... I don't think there is a single aicraft today that can go even mach 2 at 500m MSL... Top are some fighters, and the B1, which can go a little above mach 1 before they enter VNE.

I had a space shuttle blow up on re-entry last evening. Not from heating, but because I pulled up too sharply (started drifting and over-corrected) and the resulting forces ripped it apart.

THAT is awesome.

@moogoob: I honestly LOVE when my craft blows up from too much speed or when you over adjust at a ridiculously high speed! I've been tweaking it all night to try and get a couple extra m/s and it's so much fun. It may not be "real life" but it is a HUGE jump from the old model, and it made the game infinitely more fun! And it was already amazing!

@ Jaeleth: I did a couple runs in the higher atmosphere and these designs went SIGNIFICANTLY faster, so I appreciate that tip; but somehow it almost feels like cheating for me now! I'm committed to going as fast as possible as close to sea level as possible!

@ Commander Jeb: KSP (no mods) doesn't really show the decimal places.. so I'll just aim for 1362 m/s then :sticktongue:

I've also found aerobrakes one of the most satisfying parts. Extending the brakes all the way out and just watching the speed dive as I come in for a landing (sometimes) feels very star-wars-esque; or at least very futuristic! (I know we have them now, it just feels like something out of a sci-fi movie... being able to "stop" in mid air)

Yes, very much like it. Took a bit of getting used to having been living in soup for so long, but this is much better. The only issue I have is that re-entry heating isn't as exciting as I was expecting. What I really like though is the way a spaceplane can glide back from orbit and still be traveling over 100m/s as it approaches the runway.

I personally think the new aero model is really very good. It's not perfect yet, I think it could still use some dialing in, but that's one of the beauties of the model that it can be tweaked with just a few settings.

Yeah, and a bit like the old model, I like that if you just tweak your own way of creating you can make the model work wonders!

DID IT! Broke Mach Four near sea level! 1535 m/s @ 300m!

ZxA2SyF.jpg

Sorry for all the posts.. Pretty exciting for me though!

I do love the new aero model, but I think the lower atmosphere could do with being a bit thinner. Just a little, to make airplanes land more realistically, rather than floating at 30m/s even with virtually no wing surfaces.

I don't hate it nor do I like it. It is how Squad chose to make it and I have to adapt, though that was a bit easier for me as I used FAR in previous versions. When some things are plainly wrong, like flipping with heat shield attached, that needs to be fixed. Anything else I just have to adapt. Kerbin is not Earth and I don't expect it and its atmosphere to behave exactly like Earth. It is realistic, but not too much so that you have to spend extended times going through numbers and fixing it. When something is wrong with a craft and you have basic understanding of physics you can intuitively fix it. Keeping it somewhat realistic and fun in the same time is what I like from games I play and it is what I get from KSP and atmosphere model in it. When I finish my current career I may again switch to FAR, but for now I enjoy it like it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.