[1.0.5ish] The 0.35m SSR MicroSat and Airlaunch Vehicle [v0.9.6 out! last updated 01/03/2016]

Squiggsy

These parts are lovely!
Really nice parts, good job!

Thanks! It really means a lot :)

There is new stuff on the horizon! I am nearly done with the Resource Scanner now just need to mess around with the textures a bit until I'm happy with it and sort out its config then I will release it :) From there I'll do a temperature/gravioli combo thing maybe, what I really want to do is my own science experiment for it, and I will, but it'll take a while so I'll have to declare that as coming Soon

oh yeah I also have a tiny liquid engine for it! I made it for something completed different and then realized it is the perfect size so I'll probably include it and a teeny tiny liquid fuel tank too

Edit: sneak peek:

tumblr_npn8qiiYo41r0o48lo1_1280.png

Edited by Squiggsy

I just found these parts and I am majorly impressed! I look forward to what you have for us in the future. I hope you get some more mod integration, like maybe with DMagic Orbital Science, but I'm more than happy with what you already have. Great work!

I just found these parts and I am majorly impressed! I look forward to what you have for us in the future. I hope you get some more mod integration, like maybe with DMagic Orbital Science, but I'm more than happy with what you already have. Great work!

ahahahah its funny you say that, i'm currently working on a science package that will incorporate the magnetometer and RWPS antenna if you have DMagic installed ;)

and thanks for your support!

Well I spent all day working on a science package and tearing my hair out animating it I had pretty much finished, and then through some serious stupidity managed to loose half the animation I'd done and am currently screaming internally trying to find the motivation to do it all over again...

SOOON You will get an update, sorry guys!

EDIT Panic averted!! I made a backup, thank Kod I really need to get my folders (and brain) more organized, back on track for a release tonight :)

V0.9.5 is up!

Ok I've updated minus the science package, it's causing unbelievable levels of grief to me and might not even work at all, not giving up yet but it isn't looking too hopeful since the Dmagic modules don't seem to want to animate when a stock animategeneric module is also there, also the whole thing is causing mad lag because of an error its spamming and I haven't found the solution to that yet

but the new version includes:

1. New textures for some parts

2. New Resource Scanner

3. Config for FilterExtensions

4. Fixed BulkheadProfiles and some other config errors

I'll leave the science package alone for now and work on the liquid fuel engine and reaction wheel I have planned, as well as a radial decoupler that will make the rocket look more awesome strapped to the bottom of a plane.

I'll probably update the OP in the morning with new pics and stuff

Edited by Squiggsy

You might want to wait to update the OP until you toss up 0.9.6 -- microSolarUnshielded doesn't need to be in the size00 config (since it's not stack-mountable at all -- my mistake for including it in the first place), and MicroScanner ought to be added to it. Otherwise, I'm liking how this is going and looking forward to future releases!

You might want to wait to update the OP until you toss up 0.9.6 -- microSolarUnshielded doesn't need to be in the size00 config (since it's not stack-mountable at all -- my mistake for including it in the first place), and MicroScanner ought to be added to it. Otherwise, I'm liking how this is going and looking forward to future releases!

whoops did I not add microscanner? :\ I was sure I had! thanks for spotting the solar one as well, I realized I also forgot to add the texture Idid for the stock fairings so I'm sure i'll do another update tomorrow anyway haha I'll make a note of things that need sorting (every time I do an update 5 minutes later I realize things I've forgotten!)

tumblr_nps83a2QDI1r0o48lo1_1280.png

Started working on a liquid fuel engine, thinking about pushing the ion engine back on the tech tree a bit and maybe buffing it a little bit, since in reality small probes with ion engines should have the capability to go interplanetary (after getting an initial kick out of the kerbin system that is). This would then be an earlier in the tech tree propulsion method for navigating around the kerbin system, with enough in the tank included in the engine inside the structural section to make orbital maneuvers around kerbin and then if another tank is added enough to go to the mun and minmus, orbit, and return to kerbin orbit.

The science package has encountered some problems, I can get the stock experiments and ONE Dmagic experiment to animate, but the other will not play ball, so I'm considering my options with how to work around it, there are a few options but all of them are just compromises not real solutions.

Thought about discussing it with DMagic? He got all of his to animate and to animate with Universal Storage. And love the engine idea. I couldn't get an engine to look right with it.

When are you thinking about going with an "official" release?

Thought about discussing it with DMagic? He got all of his to animate and to animate with Universal Storage. And love the engine idea. I couldn't get an engine to look right with it.

When are you thinking about going with an "official" release?

yeah I have sorta discussed it with DMagic, I can get one DMagic experiment to animate and have a normal animategeneric, but the 2nd one refuses to work, seems to be more a problem with having multiple Dmagic modules on one part :\

I'll go with an official release once I've finished the chemical engine & fuel tank (nearly done) and got the science experiment to work, then will do one last check that everything is working how i like, maybe tweak some textures and add some MM configs for compatability with some more mods then release.

Awesome, I hope there will be a release of the scanner parts soon, as well as the LFO engine, but could you also make small LFO thrusters just for the Microsat, or even Monopropellant engine with small RCS ports for realism (I love placing extra resources on craft in case I actually need them for maneuvers).

First off: Brilliant concept. MavTech is ordering a bunch of these launchers, probes, and associated other components. ;)

That said... has anyone come up with a good way to kick one of these out of a Mk 2 cargo bay at speed and altitude? The TT-38 seems like the best bet... but if someone has a better option in mind, I'm all ears.

• 1 month later...

Like MaverickSawyer , I also liked the concept very much!

Hey there!

I though I'd poke the thread and see how things were going.

I copied Sound and particle FX for stock Ion drive and altered it to add effects to Squiggsy's ion drive too:

@PART[microIon]:AFTER[Squad]
{
EFFECTS
{
running
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = ClankerTech/Sounds/sound_scifiengine
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 0.75 0.45
volume = 0.75 1.5
pitch = 0.0 0.0
pitch = 3.0 3.0
loop = true
}
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
modelName = Squad/FX/shockExhaust_blue_small
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.05
emission = 0.5 0.05
speed = 0.0 1.5
speed = 0.5 3.0
}
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
{
DrawGauge = True
}
@PROPELLANT[XenonGas]
{
DrawGauge = True
}
}
}

And I have a question to Squiggsy, what about adding compatibility to JDiminishingRTG to your microRTG? Maybe something like this:

@PART[micrortg]:FOR[JDiminishingRTG]
{
!MODULE[ModuleGenerator] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDiminishingRTG
volume = 15
efficiency = 0.07
}
}

@PART[micrortg]:NEEDS[RealisticRTG]:FINAL
{
!MODULE[ModuleGeneratorRTG]
}

Edited by jlcarneiro
Added code

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to say I love the idea of this mod. I find myself trying every box/cube sat mod I can. This has been the best so far and has the most potential.

There were a few things I wanted to propose for you to consider for future release.

6-way Structural part

A true square part that has 6 attachment nodes on all 6 sides would be outstanding. It would allow you to put both the scanner part and the dish on the same sat. As an option this part could be a battery. If you are going to put scanning and communications on the same sat you are probably going to need the extra power.

Narrow-band Scanner/"Resource Scanner"

This would be a micro version of the stock M4435 scanner. It would have the "Resources Scanner" module vs the "Survey Scanner" module. You could use the survey part you already have and just change the antenna color.

Larger Omni antenna

I am a big fan of RemoteTech and would love to replace my LKO omni communications network with MicroSat. To do this a larger omni is needed. Currently it would take 12 MicroSats at the minimum 70km orbit to create a complete network. Even at that altitude the margin of error is only about 5km so you would probably need more like 14 to be safe.

One idea I had was to take your current battery module and add a whip style antenna that extends from the four corners. This could be deactivated by default and when activated the antennas would extend. Something like that would still be small when stowed but extended could reasonably provide the 2.5Mm provided by the stock Communotron 16.

Thanks for this great mod.

Edited by JPurp

• 2 months later...
I wanted to say I love the idea of this mod. I find myself trying every box/cube sat mod I can. This has been the best so far and has the most potential.

There were a few things I wanted to propose for you to consider for future release.

6-way Structural part

A true square part that has 6 attachment nodes on all 6 sides would be outstanding. It would allow you to put both the scanner part and the dish on the same sat. As an option this part could be a battery. If you are going to put scanning and communications on the same sat you are probably going to need the extra power.

Narrow-band Scanner/"Resource Scanner"

This would be a micro version of the stock M4435 scanner. It would have the "Resources Scanner" module vs the "Survey Scanner" module. You could use the survey part you already have and just change the antenna color.

Larger Omni antenna

I am a big fan of RemoteTech and would love to replace my LKO omni communications network with MicroSat. To do this a larger omni is needed. Currently it would take 12 MicroSats at the minimum 70km orbit to create a complete network. Even at that altitude the margin of error is only about 5km so you would probably need more like 14 to be safe.

One idea I had was to take your current battery module and add a whip style antenna that extends from the four corners. This could be deactivated by default and when activated the antennas would extend. Something like that would still be small when stowed but extended could reasonably provide the 2.5Mm provided by the stock Communotron 16.

Thanks for this great mod.

Thanks for the input! A Larger Omni is definitely on the books, I really like your idea for it so I will look into making something like that over the coming days.

Originally the actual main MicroSat body was a 6way block but I removed the nodes because it was so cluttered, but a dedicated piece might work, I really have to look back over all the parts it's been months since I really got stuck in with them.

And the other scanner was always a plan to make I just got really frustrated finding a design i liked, maybe your suggestion of just changing the colour, maybe I'll add a little extra something too, would be a better idea. (animating things and having them work how you want in KSP can be a real pain)

Have you stopped developing this mod?:(

I had, I am getting back into KSP more and more (though largely RSS Realism Overhaul as opposed to stock) and I think once 1.0.5 is released I will update all the parts (new heating will require some changes I'm sure), I'll try to find the new ones I was part way through working on scattered around my horrendous computer filing system (I have no respect for folder names and it comes back to bite me more often than I'd like) and really get started over the coming week.

It's really nice to come back to this after so long and see some people still here asking after it, really motivates me to get this done and out into the actual Releases forum.

I had, I am getting back into KSP more and more (though largely RSS Realism Overhaul as opposed to stock) and I think once 1.0.5 is released I will update all the parts (new heating will require some changes I'm sure), I'll try to find the new ones I was part way through working on scattered around my horrendous computer filing system (I have no respect for folder names and it comes back to bite me more often than I'd like) and really get started over the coming week.

It's really nice to come back to this after so long and see some people still here asking after it, really motivates me to get this done and out into the actual Releases forum.

after a clear install of 1.0.5 and because I forgot this mod name, today I search for this mod like..almost 3 hours here on this forum, kerbal stuff, curse and youtube and non of them knows who is "satellite" or "sat" for this mod...and I bet that's why many ppl dont really know about this mod...there is no SATELLITE word for it to search when ppl search for sats mods, that 'microsat' doesn't show up nowhere... that much I love this mod, 3 hrs wasted searching for it.....so, I'll wait for your update like a puppy waiting for his toy :mad::P

suggestion: if you want ppl to find your mod much more easy, then change the title

If I were a new 'player' of KSP and searching for a satellite mod, that "The 0.35m SSR" ...really wont convince me that there is a sat in three, and a nice one...just saying...

Edited by GERULA

Thanks for the input! A Larger Omni is definitely on the books, I really like your idea for it so I will look into making something like that over the coming days.

Originally the actual main MicroSat body was a 6way block but I removed the nodes because it was so cluttered, but a dedicated piece might work, I really have to look back over all the parts it's been months since I really got stuck in with them.

And the other scanner was always a plan to make I just got really frustrated finding a design i liked, maybe your suggestion of just changing the colour, maybe I'll add a little extra something too, would be a better idea. (animating things and having them work how you want in KSP can be a real pain)

Please update it you are doing a great job on the parts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.