[1.0.5ish] The 0.35m SSR MicroSat and Airlaunch Vehicle [v0.9.6 out! last updated 01/03/2016]

Squiggsy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys I know I said before I'd get back to it and didn't manage to due to real life getting in the way, but I've just dug out that old liquid fuel engine (annoyingly I've lost the finished .mu and the in progress .cfg so I'll have to re-export from blender and redo it in unity and rewrite the file but that shouldn't be too hard). I think I'll throw together a deployable omni since that should be pretty easy, and probably a 6 way block & other res scanner a bit further down the line, but I can't promise to get much more than that done any time soon.

Once I've done that I'm just going to create a thread in releases and leave it for a while, but once I've got this liquid fuel engine up and running I'll put a new version on spacedock.info for you all :)

thanks for the support and sorry I've been so absent!

Edit: ok this was faster than I expected to update you guys (I only just posted this) but A MIRACLE HAPPENED! I sorted the engine out in unity, guessed at the locations for FX and nodes, put it into the game and EVERYTHING WORKED FIRST TIME! this is a miracle for me it normally takes so many tried to get things working properly, I just need to sort the fuel tank out and you'll have an update on spacedock this evening hopefully :)

Edited by Squiggsy

http://spacedock.info/mod/326/The%20SSR%20MicroSat:%200.35m%20Probe%20Parts

New release! V0.96, Please download away, I'm sure I'll have to be uploading a 0.96.1 soon enough because that always happens but for the moment this is the most up to date version (still haven't updated inside/outside thermo parameters yet though)

hahahaha I just realised the two latest parts have their textures as MBMs not DSS's, I'm not going to do an update just to change that though but I'll make sure its fixed for the next release (its tradition that this happens now it seems)

Edited by Squiggsy

39 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

@Squiggsy

Mod needs to be published for public DLs :) 

lol thanks, It looks just like kerbalstuff so in my mind I was just updating the mod and didn't think about having to publish it haha, should all be working now :)

Edited by Squiggsy

10 hours ago, Squiggsy said:

Ok guys I know I said before I'd get back to it and didn't manage to due to real life getting in the way, but I've just dug out that old liquid fuel engine (annoyingly I've lost the finished .mu and the in progress .cfg so I'll have to re-export from blender and redo it in unity and rewrite the file but that shouldn't be too hard). I think I'll throw together a deployable omni since that should be pretty easy, and probably a 6 way block & other res scanner a bit further down the line, but I can't promise to get much more than that done any time soon.

Once I've done that I'm just going to create a thread in releases and leave it for a while, but once I've got this liquid fuel engine up and running I'll put a new version on spacedock.info for you all :)

thanks for the support and sorry I've been so absent!

Edit: ok this was faster than I expected to update you guys (I only just posted this) but A MIRACLE HAPPENED! I sorted the engine out in unity, guessed at the locations for FX and nodes, put it into the game and EVERYTHING WORKED FIRST TIME! this is a miracle for me it normally takes so many tried to get things working properly, I just need to sort the fuel tank out and you'll have an update on spacedock this evening hopefully :)

YES! YOUR BACK! YOUR FINALLY BACK!!!!!!!

tumblr_o3ep859nuh1r0o48lo1_540.png

Working on a Survey Scanner similar to the stock one today, I'm going to change the current scanner to a narrow band one and have this as the survey scanner.

After that I'll make a 6 way section (I think I'm going to make it another probe core since that makes the most sense to me as it'll be a core section of the satellite) and then do some final balancing and working on engine FX before putting out a release on the actual Releases thread.

A bug in the latest release: the diminishing RTG patch says "FOR[JDiminishingRTG]" when it should say "NEEDS[JDiminishingRTG]".  The FOR[X] keyword signals to Module Manager that X exists, and therefore every patch that NEEDS[X] will execute, when it obviously shouldn't just on your patch's say-so.  I'm also suspicious of the RealisticRTG patch, but I don't know as much about that one.

On 3/4/2016 at 9:38 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

A bug in the latest release: the diminishing RTG patch says "FOR[JDiminishingRTG]" when it should say "NEEDS[JDiminishingRTG]".  The FOR[X] keyword signals to Module Manager that X exists, and therefore every patch that NEEDS[X] will execute, when it obviously shouldn't just on your patch's say-so.  I'm also suspicious of the RealisticRTG patch, but I don't know as much about that one.

I think you're right, but I'm running both JDiminishingRTG and this mod, and the patch works fine. The RealisticRTG patch should have  {} after !MODULE[ModuleGeneratorRTG] probably, but I haven't tested it.

15 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

I think you're right, but I'm running both JDiminishingRTG and this mod, and the patch works fine. The RealisticRTG patch should have  {} after !MODULE[ModuleGeneratorRTG] probably, but I haven't tested it.

You're fine because you actually have JDiminishingRTG.  However, if you didn't, then the "FOR[JDiminishingRTG]" patch would still tell Module Manager that JDiminishingRTG exists, and so every other RTG patch that says it "NEEDS[JDiminishingRTG]" will still be used.  This may stop RTGs from functioning entirely, since these patches will add modules that require a DLL that doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

You're fine because you actually have JDiminishingRTG.  However, if you didn't, then the "FOR[JDiminishingRTG]" patch would still tell Module Manager that JDiminishingRTG exists, and so every other RTG patch that says it "NEEDS[JDiminishingRTG]" will still be used.  This may stop RTGs from functioning entirely, since these patches will add modules that require a DLL that doesn't exist.

Ah, now that makes perfect sense now. I'm also probably in the minority on that one, since that mod is rather dated and I had to do some digging to get it (and did so just for this mod).

Thanks for the lesson (bit new to MM).

Looking at part filters configs I founds some typos. 

625decoupler has bulkheadProfiles=Size0

when I believe it needs to be size0 (aka all lower case). As it I'm I'm seeing a separate size for just it.

microBatSquare has bulkheadProfiles = Size0

when I believe it needs to be size00 (aka all lower case) to match. Not all that an important fix, but didn't see a github repo to update so I'm just posting it here.

Edited by Canis

On 3/2/2016 at 5:06 AM, Squiggsy said:

tumblr_o3ep859nuh1r0o48lo1_540.png

Working on a Survey Scanner similar to the stock one today, I'm going to change the current scanner to a narrow band one and have this as the survey scanner.

After that I'll make a 6 way section (I think I'm going to make it another probe core since that makes the most sense to me as it'll be a core section of the satellite) and then do some final balancing and working on engine FX before putting out a release on the actual Releases thread.

This looks great! I always thought the stock dish was far too large (and the lack of colliders meant the dish always stuck out of the top of pFairings :huh:).

I'm working on a rescale of ScanSat parts to fit this pack for my personal build, I think this will go along great with those.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently trying to add RealPlume support, but it seems that the thrustTransform for the microsat engine are very out-of-line with the nozzles / bells. Each of the four are either slightly off or very off. The perfect example of one that is very out-of-line is the back left in the picture I've  included. Hopefully you'll be able to fix this in the next release because it looks quite weird with having the plume not come out of the engine itself to say the least.

That's my only gripe, other than that I've absolutely loved this mod since I found it a long while ago.

Here's the pictures off the misaligned thrustTransforms, if you need more just shoot me a message:

Edited by FiiZzioN
Another Picture

• 3 weeks later...

I like these tiny payloads - satellites are getting smaller in real life, so there's no reason they shouldn't in KSP as well!

I found that the stats of some of these parts (mass ratios, engine performance, etc.) compared unfavorably to stock (or top-tier mods like RLA), so I started tweaking them in ModuleManager... before long, I found that I had rebalanced most of the pack. My suggested values are here

Spoiler

//Increase SAS levels of probe core & SAS chip
@PART[MicroSat] {
  MODULE {
    name = ModuleSAS
  }
}

@PART[SASupgradeChip]{
  @MODULE[ModuleSAS]{
    @SASServiceLevel = 3
  }
  @TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

//Balance battery against stock
@PART[MICROBATSQUARE]{
  @mass = 0.003
  @RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]{
    @amount = 60
    @maxAmount = 60
  }
}

//Balance liquid fuel engine against RLA Aphid
@PART[microsatEngine]{
  @cost = 60
  @MODULE[ModuleEngines]{
    @maxThrust = 1
    !atmosphereCurve{}
    atmosphereCurve
    {
       key = 0 310
       key = 1 70
       key = 3 0.001
    }
  }
}

//Balance upper stage engine against Near Future Spacecraft TV-95
@PART[upperStageEngine]{
  @cost = 450
  @mass = 0.12
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]{
    @maxThrust = 13.5
    !atmosphereCurve{}
    atmosphereCurve
    {
      key = 0 335
			key = 1 190
			key = 4 70
    }
  }
}

//Balance liquid fuel tanks against stock
@PART[microlqdfuel]{
  @mass = 0.0084
}

@PART[625liquidFuel]{
  @mass = 0.05
}

//Balance RTG against RLA/stock
@PART[micrortg]{
  @cost = 3700
  @mass = 0.013
  @MODULE[ModuleGenerator]{
    @OUTPUT_RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]{
      @rate = 0.122
    }
  }
  @TechRequired = experimentalElectrics
}

//Balance solar against stock
@PART[microSolarUnshielded]{
  @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]{
    @chargeRate = 0.8
    retractable = false
  }
}

//Balance decouplers against stock
@PART[625decoupler]{
  @mass = 0.015
  @cost = 300
  @MODULE[ModuleDecouple]{
    @ejectionForce = 15
  }
}

@PART[35decoupler]{
  @mass = 0.005
  @cost = 25
}

//Balance xenon tanks against stock

@PART[microXenon]{
  @mass = 0.012
  @TechRequired = ionPropulsion
}

@PART[radialXenonmicro]{
  @mass = 0.002
}

@PART[microIon]{
}

//Balance fairing against stock
@PART[fairingSize0]{
  @name = AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell (0.625m)
  @mass = 0.04
  @MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]{
    @UnitAreaMass = 0.01
    @UnitAreaCost = 2
  }
  @TechRequired = advConstruction
}

//To do: balance SRB against RLA/SpaceY

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.