[1.0.5ish] The 0.35m SSR MicroSat and Airlaunch Vehicle [v0.9.6 out! last updated 01/03/2016]

Squiggsy

• 3 weeks later...

@Squiggsy, one more item to add to the pile of revisions for 1.1: part tags.  The part search system doesn't strip punctuation and such from titles, so I have to add the quote mark to find your parts by their nickname (e.g. '"thumper').  Squad parts just have the nickname sans quote marks in the part tags.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Making the probes and antennas functional to 1.2 standards was simple enough; I'm working on tag/test configs for everything, which will take a little longer (it's just a little tedious and not necessary to load the parts, and I've been consumed with fixing errors in other mods of late).  I'm targeting this weekend or next for a proper SSR Community Fixes release.

Here is a config that re-balances & re-imagines several of the mod's features for 1.2. 

In general I envision two practical use cases for microsats:

• Cheap relay networks - microsats are too small for interplanetary relays but you could easily extend existing coverage of foreign bodies with these. (Or you could use them for a geostationary network if playing without DSN stations, etc.)
  • Cheap access to space for compact science experiments, as in real life - the science parts from USI SoundingRockets can be easily combined with microsat probe parts for this.

I wanted to keep everything practical while maintaining balance against stock - i.e. incorporating trade-offs associated with tiny parts without sacrificing quality of life.

Details:

• Probe core gets lots of changes:
    • Hibernation added but electricity use in general is increased
    • SAS Level 0 added - mostly because piloting craft without any SAS is a miserable experience
    • Reaction wheel electricity consumption reduced to approximately match stock
    • Internal antenna added with 500m range. Suitable for LKO use even with a Level 1 tracking station, but not able to reach the Mun even with a Level 3 tracking station.
  • SAS upgrade part hidden and replaced with a PartUpgrade to unlock Level 1 SAS
  • Antennas have been redone:
    • The folded dipole is a direct antenna with a range of 5km and combinability of 0.5
    • The folding dish is equivalent to the Communatron 16 whip antenna
    • The fixed dish is equivalent to the HG-5 "broomstick" relay antenna
  • The survey scanner was a bit of a cheat because it was so much lighter and smaller than the stock survey scanner. It has been replaced with a part granting OKTO2-equivalent access to KerbNet (which is not otherwise available in the 0.35m form factor.)
  • Lots of parts tweaked for mass, etc. to match stock balance; and in a couple cases to match other part packs (Near Future Spacecraft and RLA Stockalike.)
  • Categories updated for 1.2

On 10/20/2016 at 7:46 PM, PocketBrotector said:

Here is a config that re-balances & re-imagines several of the mod's features for 1.2. 

• Cheap relay networks - microsats are too small for interplanetary relays but you could easily extend existing coverage of foreign bodies with these. (Or you could use them for a geostationary network if playing without DSN stations, etc.)
  • Cheap access to space for compact science experiments, as in real life - the science parts from USI SoundingRockets can be easily combined with microsat probe parts for this.

I wanted to keep everything practical while maintaining balance against stock - i.e. incorporating trade-offs associated with tiny parts without sacrificing quality of life.

Details:

• SAS Level 0 added - mostly because piloting craft without any SAS is a miserable experience
    • Internal antenna added with 500m range. Suitable for LKO use even with a Level 1 tracking station, but not able to reach the Mun even with a Level 3 tracking station.
    • The folded dipole is a direct antenna with a range of 5km and combinability of 0.5
  • The survey scanner was a bit of a cheat because it was so much lighter and smaller than the stock survey scanner. It has been replaced with a part granting OKTO2-equivalent access to KerbNet (which is not otherwise available in the 0.35m form factor.)
  • Lots of parts tweaked for mass, etc. to match stock balance; and in a couple cases to match other part packs (Near Future Spacecraft and RLA Stockalike.)

seems to work great and I love it

thank you very much for your hard work, much appreciated!

On 10/20/2016 at 7:46 PM, PocketBrotector said:

Details:

I found a little bug with that decoupler, that part in time it start to float alone, maybe can you fix this too, but everything else works great

Qq4SAiQ.png

• 4 weeks later...

Quick note for anyone using this in conjunction with SpaceY but not HotRockets... The SSR HotRockets patch uses FOR when it should be using NEEDS, which makes ModuleManager think that HotRockets is installed even if it's not. This will cause missing plumes in SpaceY and probably other mods as well. 

On 11/17/2014 at 10:18 AM, NecroBones said:

Problem: Engine exhaust plumes are missing:

Cause: ModuleManager thinks that HotRockets is installed, but it actually isn't.

Fix 1: Install HotRockets so that it's a non-issue.

Fix 2: Go into the SpaceY folder(s) and delete "SpaceY_HotRockets.cfg". This will keep it from trying to use the HotRockets plumes.

Fix 3: Figure out which other mod is causing the confusion, and remove it. We still don't know which mods are causing this, but it's probably due to someone using a "FOR" statement in their MM config instead of "NEEDS".

• 3 months later...

AS far as I can tell, this mod is functional in 1.2.1. I haven't been particularly looking for bugs, but the only issue I can find is that kerbal engineer can't calulate the delta v of the ion enfine from the mod. Everything else seems okay.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:15 PM, dtoxic said:

nope i get 404 page error on github (file not available)

never mind,the filename has changed, to MicroSat_Support.cfg

Actually it looks like that is a different file (which actually looks quite interesting in and of itself).

The SSR config file was moved to his depreciated folder here: https://github.com/LouisB3/LB_KSP_Configs/blob/master/Deprecated/MicroSat_Rebalance.cfg

• 5 weeks later...

I eventually got tired of fiddling with different values to keep this satisfactorily updated, but if anyone is still interested in the last version of the patch it should remain available here:

https://github.com/LouisB3/LB_KSP_Configs/blob/a5eb4971c6a3e1f288994032a7efd81b94c0814e/Deprecated/MicroSat_Rebalance.cfg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.