1.0.2 Rocket keep spinning, low altitude

Hi,

After changes since 1.0, I am unable to get to some decent altitude.

After first stage, rocket shakes a bit, nothing too much serious.

After second stage, it spins horizontally, and it is hard to control.

What is the best I can do with my unocked science and early career? Thanks!

My R&D

YqFZqSn.png

My rocket:

EMV6sZZ.jpg

Hi PetrGasparik, I suggest swapping the radial parachute that you have on your capsule for a normal parachute, the same as you have on our boosters.

The weight of that parachute can be enough to make the rocket want to fall over.

I would also add more fins to the base to you have some in two directions, so they form an X

What is the best I can do with my unocked science and early career? Thanks!

With that tech the best you can do is orbit reaching high space. It is difficult to do without the next rocketry tech however.

As sal says, the radial parachute is likely the problem, its introducing a mass and drag imbalance which will cause the rocket to turn over. I suspect having the antenna sticking out to the side is having a similar, albeit smaller effect too.

Maybe its the angle of the screenshot, or my eyes taking the ..... on me, but it seems to me on that picture the fins are off-centre too, what could result in a off-balance creating a spin.

Also SRB's directly attached to a other SRB sometimes causes them not beeing perfectly aligned deadcentre, and can create also a spin.

From what i can tell of that screenshot its one of those two things that causing the biggest effect, combined with the Antenna sticking out and the unbalance of the paracute location, and all these in a combination can result in a disasterous spin.

combined with the Antenna sticking out and the unbalance of the paracute location, and all these in a combination can result in a disasterous spin.

Is there a recommended location to stick an antenna to stop it causing drag problems?

Is there a recommended location to stick an antenna to stop it causing drag problems?
You ideally want it inline with centremass, so on top of the parachute on the pod is one good location, or you could place them in one of the new service bays.

Thank you for al your quotes!

I try my best to stick to them.

Hi PetrGasparik, I suggest swapping the radial parachute that you have on your capsule for a normal parachute, the same as you have on our boosters.

The weight of that parachute can be enough to make the rocket want to fall over.

I would also add more fins to the base to you have some in two directions, so they form an X

I always had parachute on top, but now in 1.0.2 I once (and only once) reached over 25km and it was chopped off my heat, so I switched to this.

Does anyone has similar probem with tip parachute MK-16?

You have enough science to unlock the heavier rockets which would allow you to build this to reach low orbit and return.

M9z0X59.jpg

The RT-10 are now badly under performing to be of much use. Where two in stages could push a pod to over 200,000 meters, three stacked and tweaked barely clear 70,000 meters.

2hEvPEg.jpg

Thank you! What is that K.E.R.? A mod?

You have enough science to unlock the heavier rockets which would allow you to build this to reach low orbit and return.

http://i.imgur.com/M9z0X59.jpg

The RT-10 are now badly under performing to be of much use. Where two in stages could push a pod to over 200,000 meters, three stacked and tweaked barely clear 70,000 meters.

http://i.imgur.com/2hEvPEg.jpg

I always had parachute on top, but now in 1.0.2 I once (and only once) reached over 25km and it was chopped off my heat, so I switched to this.

Does anyone has similar probem with tip parachute MK-16?

You were probably going way too fast. You could try lowering the thrust of your SRBs.

Thank you! What is that K.E.R.? A mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/18230

Kerbal Engineer Redux, a mod that really ought to be stock. As you can see from the screenshot it gives you a lot of useful numbers, the most critical ones being TWR and dV during design in the VAB.

EDIT- Ninja'd...

Here is the easiest trick you can use to prevent flips at early career. Get your point of thrust over your point of mass which will pull the rocket up instead of pushing it up creating a more stable ascent. Yeah the rocket might look silly using this but in kerbonaut universe everything is possible when it comes to absurd contraptions .)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.