[1.0.x, DISCONTINUED] Throttle Limit Action Groups - Tweak Throttle Limits of Engines Via Action Groups [May 18]

iPeer

Originally suggested by Kofeyh of KSPTV, this super simple mod allows players to assign levels of throttle limiting to an engine on their craft through the magical power of action groups.

These action groups work like any of the stock ones, meaning they will also copy to symmetry counterparts.

Note that users of AGX will have to abide by AGX's cooldown periods and cannot simply spam a button. Plan your groups accordingly.

RIwS8U8.png

Requires

Module Manager (included).

Download from GitHub (Source)

Alternately, download from KerbalStuff

Licensed under GPL-3.0

Change Log(dd/mm/yy):

[SIZE=3]18/05/15, v1.0.2:
    * Added KSP-AVC support
    * Fixed blocking code stopping updates on subsequent modules
    * No longer change the limit if the engine is not operational.

12/05/15, v1.0.1:
    * Fixed an issue that allowed throttle limits to above above 100 and below 0.

10/05/15, v1.0:
    * Initial release[/SIZE]

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by iPeer
Discontinuation

I can't remember if you can set the throttle limit on engines or not using kOS, but if not this could be used to script adjustments to the throttle limit to control thrust of engines individually.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been wanting to get a working solution for a problem I've run into with simulating limited depth throttles and betterburntime by @Snark Basically, having min throttle set to anything other than 0 messes with betterburntime, and deactivating the engines to shut them down means that they wont be looked at by betterburntime, meaning you get an N/A for time to burn. This sort of defeats the purpose of betterburntime. 

So I think this mod would be almost a solution. It currently does not work in 1.3.1, though the action groups are visible in editor. It would need to have a slightly different behavior too, the rather then setting the throttle to different points, it would be best if there was an action group for toggling the maxThrust to 0 and back. I'm not sure, but I think the setLimit only affects the throttle position, and I need to have the actual thrust stop when the user desires (normally you would just zero your throttle, but when the minThrust is set to something other than 0 the engines keep firing at that minThrust value with the throttle at 0)

Hailing @linuxgurugamer; you had mentioned interest in pursuing a solution for this, perhaps something here is useful. 

Here is a sample of my mm code so far:

@PART[liquidEngine]
{
	@description ^= :(.)$:$0 Shallow throttle, minimum thrust down to 80% of maxThrust.:
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@minThrust = #$maxThrust$
		@minThrust *= 0.8
	}
}

Easy enough to get this recompiled.

However, I was thinking more of intercepting the engine shutdown key so that the throttle Keys would increase and decrease the throttle within the specified ranges, and the shutdown key would actually turn it off and set the limit to zero.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

If you can do that without too much difficulty, great, sounds good. One thing however, what I am looking for is the ability for the user to stop the engine from creating thrust while also still being in the activated state (as in stock when the throttle is at 0) so that betterburntime still uses that engine in it's calculations. 

Realizing now that if we change maxThrust that will also mess with betterburntime, so that was a bad idea. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.