Parachute Test Contract killed Jeb

I accepted 2 contracts,

1. Test Mk16 parachute between 17000 and 25000m @ 400 - 800 m/s

2. Test Radial Parachute between 19000 and 24000 @ 500 - 1000 m/s

I thought the best thing to do was to run the two tests at once by aiming for 19km - 24km @ 500 - 800 m/s.

Basically, the parachutes ended up overheating on deployment and Jeb died. I had decided to test the parachutes on the way up as I felt that that gave me a better control over speed. I also separated my engines in the same stage so I couldn't shut them down and my speed went to about 1200m/s.

My question is; was the test contract doomed to failure or was it my piloting?

In a way, I can understand why there would be a mechanic to allow certain parts not to stand up to the tests that they are faced with (that is probably the point of having a test). It does seem a bit unreasonable to the player though.

At all, I would say it is your fault.

As you said, your seperated the engines without shutting them down, mistake no. 1

Both chute tests in one run is nothing bad, but you should add an emergency chute.

You could try to tilt your capsule with SAS, if your engine is not too strong, it will wobble the engine away.

With the new aerodynamics, it is best to use a probe core for testing or keep a parachute reserved for safe recovery of your test pilot. Both test contracts you have posted are likely to result in chute destruction when the test conditions are met.

It is just the activation that needs to happen ad the given points. you send set you deployment ad a much lower level. say 0.5 atmosphere. then this normally doesn't happen.

They are still trying to find a heat resistant parachute. but still failing.

It is just the activation that needs to happen ad the given points. you send set you deployment ad a much lower level. say 0.5 atmosphere. then this normally doesn't happen.

This is probably the easiest way to go, and is also good practice in general. The chute just needs to be staged in the right conditions, but doesn't actually need to deploy or semi-deploy. Similar to how engine parts don't need to actually run (and don't even need fuel), but simply need to be staged.

Cheers,

-Claw

They overheated when you opened them, or they overheated because you kept accelerating because you didn't shut down your engine?

If 1, it's the flight profile or some other factor.

If 2, it's your piloting.

They overheated when you opened them, or they overheated because you kept accelerating because you didn't shut down your engine?

If 1, it's the flight profile or some other factor.

If 2, it's your piloting.

They didn't open until after my engines had burnt out, I hit my apoapsis and then semi deployed on descent. They burnt up as soon as they semi deployed. It was probably to do with my trajectory but I wasn't sure if that it could have been avoided.

Obviously a couple of back up parachutes would have helped.

Like a couple others have said, its just the activation that matters for the contract, not the actual deployment of the chutes. I always set mine to deploy at 0.5 for Kerbin, and I haven't had any trouble with them burning up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.