1.0.0 Demo

RocketPilot573

So I loaded up the new demo since I haven't seen anyone give any reports on what features are there/not there. Here's what I found:

In the VAB, there are 26 parts, ranging from SRBs to science parts.

Rrcnjo9.jpg

The career tech tree is smaller to fit the 26 parts.

NNqUeai.png

There is only Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmis, interestingly the ore database is there, and a quick look at the game files shows that ore mechanics are completely functional, but no parts to mine it.

TuV57mj.png

The science archives still expects you to reach all planets (which don't exist)?

xvfaGZc.png

All 3 tiers of all buildings in, but the SPH and runway are not available. The admin building has strategies, the Astro complex can hire kerbals, the mission control works, and even the flag pole works. All with complete interiors and exteriors.

QDyqelQ.jpg

The 1.0.0 aero is used since it was not updated to 1.0.2.

XpFeN0z.png

Science mechanics are also in, along with rep and money.

FGiUCqW.jpg

Edited by RocketPilot573

Could be that aerodynamics could be updated once they become properly adjusted for the sim. Otherwise, this demo is a good update giving just enough to create interest in the game while giving a peek to what is available in the full version.

While I landed on Mun on the old demo, it will be much harder without the LV-909 in the new one.

Additionally, with only the LV-30, flight through the lower atmosphere is super critical speed wise or your ship will quickly flip. Return from space is critical as well. Not much room to slow down enough to deploy chutes from a sub orbital. But, that issue is from the 1.0 atmosphere.

Overall, with all of the changes since the old demo, the new one was badly needed. The flea reached 6,700 meters with two Goo pods. The RT-10 25,000 meters.

I took a look at the new demo a few days ago. I like it; it gives a nice introduction to the science and funding mechanics of the career system. Including Minmus is also a nice touch; if I remember correctly the old demo only had Mun.

While I landed on Mun on the old demo, it will be much harder without the LV-909 in the new one.

We didn't have no fancy 909s back in the days and yet we were raiding the Mun all the time like it was the only thing to do.

...probably because it was the only thing to do.

We didn't have no fancy 909s back in the days and yet we were raiding the Mun all the time like it was the only thing to do.

...probably because it was the only thing to do.

We had the LV-909 along with the T-800 fuel cans and an LV-45. This is the demo moon lander.

rH78NoH.jpg

And, the demo rocket built to go there.

vdlNdVm.jpg

You are talking about the "new" old Demo, based on 0.18 - the poster before is referring the very first demo, which was based on .13, so just after the mun even got into the game... oh the memories.

Yup. Also landing on fins.

Speaking of KSP being a different game... How many games today offer you a demo before you buy? The lost practice of the demo...

Yes, for that matter, how many games are DRM free these days? But still, it's like a throwback to olden times, better times (at risk of sounding like an old fart).

Speaking of KSP being a different game... How many games today offer you a demo before you buy? The lost practice of the demo...

Yes, for that matter, how many games are DRM free these days? But still, it's like a throwback to olden times, better times (at risk of sounding like an old fart).

Demos and DRM-free content are making a comeback via the indie game scene, actually. Even a few big-name studios are releasing DRM-free content on GoG and the like. Really, the main reason why most studios don't do demos any longer is because demos actually are very hard to justify. A good demo for a good game helps, but any other scenario (good demo/bad game, bad demo/good game, bad demo/bad game) does not to varying degrees.

I don't know of any old games that were drm free.... though demos were common place.

I suspect that the death of the demo was because "certain groups" would use the demo.exe to help recreate/patch the drm.exe

I don't know of any old games that were drm free.... though demos were common place.

There was a brief, glorious time during the early days of CD-ROMs when games had no DRM (and indeed, had their DRM stripped when converting them to CD "talkie" versions in some cases). This was because CD-ROMs at the time had a capacity of ~640MB, while hard drives topped out at 500MB. Meaning that being on a CD-ROM was basically a form of DRM in and of itself. That era was short-lived...

There was a brief, glorious time during the early days of CD-ROMs when games had no DRM (and indeed, had their DRM stripped when converting them to CD "talkie" versions in some cases). This was because CD-ROMs at the time had a capacity of ~640MB, while hard drives topped out at 500MB. Meaning that being on a CD-ROM was basically a form of DRM in and of itself. That era was short-lived...

Not even a basic CD-Rom check (label check)? Or having a manual-check (enter the third word on page 32 of the manual)

I suspect that the death of the demo was because "certain groups" would use the demo.exe to help recreate/patch the drm.exe

I meant online type stuff. Old games had keys maybe, and a demo that was stripped down. I remember the Mysteries Of The Sith demo... My lord I played those 2 levels to death before buying Dark forces II and MoTS...

Buying tons of Magazines with CDs to try demos... Man... I'm old.

Not even a basic CD-Rom check (label check)? Or having a manual-check (enter the third word on page 32 of the manual)

Not even that. As I said, it was a brief but glorious period when CD-ROMs were larger-capacity than hard drives. Many games released on CD-ROM between 1991 and 1993 have no DRM whatsoever. One game in particular in my collection (Jones in the Fast Lane) even has a comment on it in the manual, begging users not to take advantage of its lack of DRM.

• 1 year later...
On 11.5.2015 at 4:51 PM, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Yes, its an serious lack of demoes today, for me in vastly increases the chance of buying. 
I bought KSP because of the demo, same with Mount&Blade, Daggerfall too, 

I think demos is even more important for indy games as they are less known and has limited marketing budgets. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.