.cfg modding parachutes?

I've been messing with trying to re-make my custom 10x parachutes: 10x mass, 10x drag, 10x price - saves on part count.

What I'm finding is that the values specified in the config files no longer appear to change the properties of the parachutes - the semi-deployed and fully-deployed drag values aren't changing the displayed effective diameter of the 'chutes, and they're not changing the terminal velocity calculated by StageRecovery.

What am I missing? Would I be forced to edit the actual model to actually make these chutes now?

Edited by etmoonshade
second drag -> diameter

So I'm actually using ModuleManager to do the changes; that said, I have confirmed that it's making the changes properly:

+PART[parachuteRadial]
{
@name = Eppy_parachuteRadial5x
@title = Mk100-R Radial-Mount Parachute
@cost = 2000
@description = A radial-mount parachute. Now, 5 times bigger than the original Mk2-R!
@mass = 0.5

@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@semiDeployedDrag = 5
@fullyDeployedDrag = 2500
@deployAltitude = 1000
}

@MODULE[ModuleDragModifier],0
{
@dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
@dragModifier = 5
}
@MODULE[ModuleDragModifier],1
{
@dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
@dragModifier = 290
}
}

+PART[parachuteRadial]
{
@name = Eppy_parachuteRadial10x
@title = Mk200-R Radial-Mount Parachute
@cost = 4000
@description = A radial-mount parachute. Now, 10 times bigger than the original Mk2-R!
@mass = 1.0

@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@semiDeployedDrag = 10
@fullyDeployedDrag = 5000
@deployAltitude = 1000
}

{
@dragModifier = 10
}

{
@dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
@dragModifier = 580
}
}

As per the debug menu, both configs are being changed properly. When looking in the editor and in game though, there's no change in performance. I've incrementally changed all the (gameplay-affecting) things currently shown as changed via MM: mass, semi-deployed drag, fully-deployed drag, and the drag modifiers. Additionally, I ran a quick test just in case it was a problem with StageRecovery's calculations:

unbalancedchutes.PNG

On the left, a pair of the 5x 'chutes with one cut. I used two just so I could (roughly) balance out the mass. On the right, a single one of the 10x chutes. If I had an imbalance between the drag on the two 'chutes, I'd expect the capsule to be tilting like the following picture:

unbalancedchutes2.PNG

On the left is a drogue 'chute, and on the right is a stock radial 'chute. The masses match, so no extra trickery needed. :)

Thoughts?

Look at the section near the end. This is where you need to change values. And as far as I know the drag value never changed the visual size of the parachutes

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDragModifier
dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
dragModifier = [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]0.33[/COLOR][/B]
}
MODULE
{
dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
dragModifier = [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]12[/COLOR][/B]
}

Edited by sarbian

Look at the section near the end. This is where you need to change values. And as far as I know the drag value never changed the visual size of the parachutes

MODULE
{
dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
dragModifier = [B][COLOR=#FF8C00]0.33[/COLOR][/B]
}
MODULE
{
dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
dragModifier = [B][COLOR=#FF8C00]12[/COLOR][/B]
}

Those two values were changed. If you notice the MM example I gave, the semideployed/deployed drag values for the 10x 'chute are exactly double that of the 5x 'chute. I should expect similar behavior to the second screenshot in the first one:

[I]<snip from 5x 'chute>[/I]
{
@dragModifier = [COLOR=#008000][B]5[/B][/COLOR]
}

{
@dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
@dragModifier = [COLOR=#ffa500][B]290[/B][/COLOR]
}

[I]<snip from 10x 'chute>[/I]

{
@dragModifier = [COLOR=#008000][B]10[/B][/COLOR]
}

{
@dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
@dragModifier = [COLOR=#ffa500][B]580[/B][/COLOR]
}

Edit: By the way, I'm not saying that my config changes should change the size of the 'chutes. I was using the pictures to illustrate that the drag is unbalanced if the 'chutes are different, and I'd expect a similar imbalance from my edited 'chutes if they were working as specced out. My 'chutes are exactly 1:2, while the difference between the open drogue 'chute and an open Mk2 Radial 'chute is approximately 1:2 (13.8:30.8, if I remember right.)

Edited by etmoonshade
Clarity.

If you change those values you have to delete PartDatabase.cfg (in your root KSP folder) and launch KSP to force KSP to recreate it. Those ModuleDragModifier values are baked into PartDatabase.cfg on creation, so if you change them, you have to recreate it.

If you change those values you have to delete PartDatabase.cfg (in your root KSP folder) and launch KSP to force KSP to recreate it. Those ModuleDragModifier values are baked into PartDatabase.cfg on creation, so if you change them, you have to recreate it.

I needed this info since the first 1.0 release :D

Sweet. That's exactly what I was shooting for. :D

I needed this info since the first 1.0 release :D

Indeed. Three cookies for NathanKell!

oh, one more thing to add in MM...

• 6 years later...

I know this thread is quite old, but it is relevant to what I am attempting to do. I'd like to improve the performance of a parachute from a mod. I have tried MM patches on the parachutes from the mod as well as stock parachutes, but what I've attempted does not work. Is MM unable to modify certain parameters of parachute config files? Is there more to the underlying config file for parachutes that I am not seeing/understanding? Am I just missing something completely obvious?

This is what I've tried so far:

@PART[parachuteSingle]
{	
	@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
	{
		@fullyDeployedDrag = 250	// 175 (original value)
	}
}

As well as:

@PART[parachuteSingle]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDragModifier]:HAS[#dragCubeName[DEPLOYED]]   
	{
   	 	@dragModifier = 25    // 1 (original value)
	}
}

I have also tried both in combination and neither seem to work. I believe I've reached my ability to troubleshoot this on my own.

Cheers,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.