Rough terrain landing

I'm not sure if there's a guide for this but here follows:

I'm attempting to land a plane by the pyramids, problem is touchdown speeds are around 100m/s (using FAR here, no soup).

How does one land a plane on rough-ish ground and how should I design the landing gear?

-Tricycle landing gear is not too stable at touchdown because any sideslip causes the plane to tip over.

-tail dragger is very stable until I try to brake then it nosedives into the ground.

My 'trick' for this was to fit my exploration planes with radial parachutes. Fly low and slow close to your target and pop the chutes for a gentle vertical landing.

Not tried this with the new aero yet though.

You can then re pack the chutes before taking off for your next destination.

yep; parachutes, with an engineer to re-pack them.

you can shield the chutes from aerodynamic drag by placing them in a service bay. (you can also put the non-radial chutes on the top and bottom of said bay). Just make sure you open the bay before triggering the chutes. (I'd suggest wiring the chutes to the abort action group, since you might need to open them multiple times)

You also have the option of using the airbrakes and braking parachutes to slow yourself down before and after touchdown now. Parachutes don't detach on ground contact like they used to and the radial mounted drogue chutes are very small and easy to mount near the tail of the aircraft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.