GAAH! I am so close!*edit* SUCCESS!!

GoSlash27

Shuttle1_zpsjrdshofx.jpg

Shuttle4_zps3erhgwpz.jpg

This will be my first 1.02 space shuttle replica, and just a few hundred more m/sec to go!

I've built a stock mini-shuttle, but this is my first try at a full-scale Mk.3 replica. It flies like a pig :(

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Grats, I've been working on a Mk3 shuttle myself today. As an extra challenge though, I'm attempting to build one that has 0 LFO on the Shuttle itself. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting TWR and dV just right with those little SRB's. May have to build LFO boosters, wish Squad would add one size bigger on the SRB's. The real shuttle SRB's were pretty big.

Edited by Alshain

Grats, I've been working on a Mk3 shuttle myself today. As an extra challenge though, I'm attempting to build one that has 0 LFO on the Shuttle itself. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting TWR and dV just right with those little SRB's.

Yeah, it's definitely a challenge.

How do you plan on making the OMS work without any on-board fuel? Are you going with RCS propellant?

-Slashy

Yeah, it's definitely a challenge.

How do you plan on making the OMS work without any on-board fuel? Are you going with RCS propellant?

-Slashy

Yep, O-10's are the closest thing to the real shuttle, not that I'm really making a replica. I'll post some pics for you, I creatively hid the OMS using an air intake, I know that's just more mass but it looks so good.

EDIT: As you can see I'm just not quite where I want to be yet. The only mods are Mk3 Mini Expansion and Adjustable Landing Gear

F912E96048F394DE8CDF9CA24EB678D1F94077CB

4E0D69CE095038594E3BEF03DAE19C993C6BEB73

3D47758541E6F0F288C03DCB09CECD13A299D495

Good job, I have made some myself. Unfortunately they do not work like I want them, it will be a bit more tweaking. Also the reentry is tricky, last time I tried it turned around mid reentry XD and I got a Columbia scenario...

Well, I've come to the conclusion with these weak SRB's it just isn't possible to carry any decent weighted cargo this way. I reduced my requirements to 20 tons, which would be a full X200-32, but even then I couldn't get the TWR/dV balance right. So, if you want to send an empty shuttle, it can be done, but carrying cargo is not possible without LFO boosters. So, semi-realistic shuttles in KSP do not appear to be possible, which is a real shame.

Well, I've come to the conclusion with these weak SRB's it just isn't possible to carry any decent weighted cargo this way. I reduced my requirements to 20 tons, which would be a full X200-32, but even then I couldn't get the TWR/dV balance right. So, if you want to send an empty shuttle, it can be done, but carrying cargo is not possible without LFO boosters. So, semi-realistic shuttles in KSP do not appear to be possible, which is a real shame.

Wow, 20 tonnes is a huge payload for a stock replica shuttle. IIRC, my empty shuttle weighs 27 tonnes. I'd be happy with 5 tonnes of payload from mine and I'm not quite there yet.

It's not practical for such an elaborate and difficult design, but of course that's not why we build them.

Best,

-Slashy

I'm filling in the details as I go. All of these repeats are an excellent excuse to learn how to fly this monster.

I haven't "shuttled" anything with it yet, so it's still a work in progress.

That's an interesting approach. I usually first design a shuttle to take the maximum desired payload, then tweak the vehicle to remain controllable with a lightweight payload as well. But I haven't put the time into getting one to work in 1.02 aerodynamics.

Wow, 20 tonnes is a huge payload for a stock replica shuttle. IIRC, my empty shuttle weighs 27 tonnes. I'd be happy with 5 tonnes of payload from mine and I'm not quite there yet.

It's not practical for such an elaborate and difficult design, but of course that's not why we build them.

Best,

-Slashy

Yeah, it is a lot of weight, but that is what there is to carry. I think the NASA shuttle could carry 22 tons, but I doubt I could build anything in KSP to do even that with a semi-realistic shuttle.

Yeah, I know there are people who disagree with me, but I've always felt that the stock SRBs are a bit anemic. That is, early on we get the RT-10, which by far has had the best TWR of the stock SRBs (well, until the Flea showed up :)). By the time you get to the "Kickback", the smaller SRBs aren't as useful since you'd have to spam a lot of them onto larger rockets. The Kickback itself has a pretty low TWR in comparison to the earlier boosters, which I consider to be a problem since you can always use the thrust-limiter to reduce it, but not increase it. If you need a faster burning, harder pushing SRB, you're out of luck unless you use mods.

Edited by NecroBones

Yeah, I know there are people who disagree with me, but I've always felt that the stock SRBs are a bit anemic. That is, early on we get the RT-10, which by far has had the best TWR of the stock SRBs. By the time you get to the "Kickback", the smaller SRBs aren't as useful since you'd have to spam a lot of them onto larger rockets. The Kickback itself has a pretty low TWR in comparison to the earlier boosters, which I consider to be a problem since you can always use the thrust-limiter to reduce it, but not increase it. If you need a faster burning, harder pushing SRB, you're out of luck unless you use mods.

Or you could use a bunch of RT-10s on top of each other with decouplers. Each time a booster runs out, stage it away and fire up the next one in the line. :P (CoT would move way up though and that might cause problems....)

Or you could use a bunch of RT-10s on top of each other with decouplers. Each time a booster runs out, stage it away and fire up the next one in the line. :P (CoT would move way up though and that might cause problems....)

Yeah, I was thinking about that. The actual thrust you'll get from each stack will be lower than a Kickback, unless you triple them up (3 stacks of RT-10s for each Kickback you would have used). Even then the thrust is still slightly lower, so if you're looking for overall thrust, you'd have to quadruple them up. Ouch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.