[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

@AzraelDR Portrait Stats is not installed in your GameData folder, so nothing will be loaded. Make sure to install everything in its right location; there is also something installed in a GameData/GameData... folder. Most mods indicate which folder needs to be installed by placing it in their own GameData folder (ie modname/GameData/modFolder, indicating that the modFolder should be moved into the KSP/GameData folder).

@KerbMav Like I said, RT does something silly with science data, I believe in an attempt to get around problems with sending partial science data to the R&D center, this uses an aspect of science data in a way that isn't intended and basically breaks Science Relay. I'll mark them as incompatible on CKAN whenever I get around to it. If you want them to work together tell the RT people to get around the partial data problem in a way that doesn't use the ScienceData.triggered flag in a way that isn't intended.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic I've checked the installation files again and I think I've discovered my mistake. The first file I downloaded was a zip file named "KSP-PortraitStats-Master" which included the source files and did not have the .dll in the PortraitStats folder. I don't remember which link I used that led me to that file, as I downloaded it last July 17 (I think it was at Spacedock). But after re-downloading the correct file from github, the modlet is not working :)

The mod installed in Gamedata/Gamedata was the Kerbnet Controller modlet, and I have since changed it to the correct file strucure.

I apologize for any inconvenience, I will try in the future to recheck that I have downloaded the correct files. Thank you so much for your time and the great mods you've created!

@AzraelDR Do you mean the mod is now working? That sounds like a typo. :D 

Anyway, the file you download looks like the GitHub source file (a lot of people include the plugin file in the GitHub repo, which is why this would sometimes work, but I never do, so you end up with a mostly useless GameData mod folder), which is the thing you would download if you went to the main GitHub repo page and clicked the download button, which is understandable, since GitHub does such a poor job of highlighting the release sections.

The SpaceDock or Curse pages are probably always the safest bet, since there is never a chance of getting the source files from them.

On 23.7.2017 at 0:31 AM, DMagic said:

Like I said, RT does something silly with science data, I believe in an attempt to get around problems with sending partial science data to the R&D center, this uses an aspect of science data in a way that isn't intended and basically breaks Science Relay. I'll mark them as incompatible on CKAN whenever I get around to it. If you want them to work together tell the RT people to get around the partial data problem in a way that doesn't use the ScienceData.triggered flag in a way that isn't intended.

Actually - I am beginning to like the way it is ... its almost realistic: Sending the data back home via the station, personnel over there keeping a copy and sending the results on down to R&D. :)

20 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Actually - I am beginning to like the way it is ... its almost realistic: Sending the data back home via the station, personnel over there keeping a copy and sending the results on down to R&D. :)

I agree. Given that my initial problem with it was apparently being unable to process results in the lab but this is no longer an issue I like it as is too.

It's certainly preferable than having RT and Science relay marked as incompatible on ckan. I'm fine with it as is now that I know what's going on.

21 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's certainly preferable than having RT and Science relay marked as incompatible on ckan. I'm fine with it as is now that I know what's going on.

Only one little bother might remain: Does R&D also receive while uploading data from a lander probe to its mothership without said ship having a connection to Kerbin?

I've just tried to tested, and it appears that the answer is 'sort of'.

Without any connection to the KSC and just a lander to orbiting station connection, my lander wasn't able to transfer science to the station at all. I'd expect to be able to transfer the data in this case, without it being received at R&D.

With a direct connection to the KSC from the lander, I was able to transfer science to the orbiting station, with the science received at R&D, but then the station had a connection to the KSC via the lander. This is as I'd expect I guess, but kind of still weird.

I still think marking the two mods as incompatible on CKAN is far more annoying than these little issues.

I try to use ScienceRelay, but the Option to transfer Data does not show up ingame. It works on Sandbox games, but not on Career Mode - even with Comm Network deactivated.
Could Kerbalism eventually block the ScienceRelay Option?

A new modlet has been released: Debug Input Stifle; get it from GitHub.

It's basically a tool for anyone who spends a lot of time with the debug console open and has problems with the console's input field stealing focus and intercepting your keyboard inputs. It happens to me all of the time and is super annoying. So I made this little mod to add a button to toggle the activation status of the input field, just click the button and the input field will no longer be able to gain focus (it will be a much darker shade of grey when inactive).

tu3jdU1.png

@TheRagingIrishman It's actually very useful. There are a lot of commands you can enter, and you can insert text into the log file.

/stacktrace gives you the full trace for the last error in the log

/waypoint will create a waypoint at your current location, or you can add coordinates, and I think there is a command for adding one to the KSC

/help will show the rest; /help command will show help for any specific command

It's just really annoying when it steals focus for no reason and I end up with a big list of dddddddaaaswwwwwaaas.

9 hours ago, KerbMav said:

@DMagic Do you see any chance to put in a resize option for the Kerbnet window alone? I am fine with most of the UI's sizes, but being able to resize Kerbnet independently would be great.

On 5/10/2015 at 9:21 PM, DMagic said:

It allows for a map orientation toggle to be added to the window, and allows for adjusting the UI scale of the window.

It also features a number of options for saving the last used state and for determining the FoV range for each KerbNet display type; all of these options can be found in the in-game settings menu under the "DMagic Mods" tab:

I have been having issues relating to Science Relay, whenever I try to log science, review science, or anything that may bring a dialouge, my KSP freezes and I'm forced to close it.

Here's my system information

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4)
RAM: 16321
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (2971MB)

What information do you require?

I'm actually not sure if it even makes crash logs, since I haven't been able to find them myself.

@NuzzyLus I'm not seeing anything in the logs except a lot of Scatterer errors. I see that the logs stop just after an experiment is triggered. I also see some entries from XScience, are any experiments collected by XScience, and do they work correctly?

To narrow down the cause, maybe first try to turn off CommNet in the stock difficulty panel, found at the top of the settings menu in-game. That will allow Science Relay to skip a lot of the tricky parts about finding connecting vessels.

If it continues not working try running Science Relay in a clean installation, with no other mods.

Earlier I removed XScience to see if it caused anything other than a momentary freeze just as it updates the biome or menu. All the experiments collected through it are working correctly, and the problem continues with a brand new vessel as well.

Turning off Commnet appears to work, allowing me to do everything with science normally.

I've found a potential mod conflict between Science Relay, Commnet Constellation & (possibly) MOLE. If all three are installed, attempting to get a science report from the craft freezes the system. Uninstalling either Science Relay or CC resolves the issue; for now, I find Science Relay more useful, so that's what I'm sticking with.

To test: install just SR, CC & MOLE (with its dependencies). Create a 'ship' using the Backseat command pod & launch. Right-click and click Crew Report.

There are no errors in the logs; the game just stops responding altogether and has to be force-quit.

Edited by Bombaatu

I'm using the latest version of Flexible Docking (Version 5.0) but I can only get it to dock with other flexible docking ports. Even in some launchpad testing where I was dropping docking ports onto the flexible docking port (extended and not) other flexible docking port were the only ones actually docking.

@NuzzyLus @Bombaatu I will probably have to update Science Relay to simply ignore Commnet connections if Commnet Constellation is installed. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to try to deal with supporting that. So it will allow transfers to any vessel, regardless of connection.

@FungusForge Do you have any other mods installed, particularly any with docking ports, or that affect docking ports? Flexible Ports have always worked fine with stock ports for me; as long as the size matches, they should dock fine. There are lots of things people can do to disrupt this, though, like locking ports to a particular rotation, or gendered ports, all of which is supported, but not actually used by stock docking ports.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

Do you have any other mods installed, particularly any with docking ports, or that affect docking ports? Flexible Ports have always worked fine with stock ports for me; as long as the size matches, they should dock fine. There are lots of things people can do to disrupt this, though, like locking ports to a particular rotation, or gendered ports, all of which is supported, but not actually used by stock docking ports.

I have mods that add docking ports (some of which are set to use angle snapping), but none of the tested ports(stock, and Station Parts Expansion's which uses the stock Size1) should be using angle snapping.