[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

Hi Dmagic.

I've discovered what I assume is a small incompatibility between portrait stats and the strategia mod. I (somehow, when I'd only just started) got a rescue contract for a level 5 scientist, which was all fine until I the activated scientist focus strategy which lets scientists work as if they're two levels higher than they are. After this my level 5 scientists portrait was no longer visible.

Possibly related to this,  all portaits would sometimes dissappear on that vessel (not sure about others) and would only come back after switching in and out of IVA.

Edited by TK421
Grammar

@TK421 Are you sure the same thing doesn't happen without Portrait Stats? PS doesn't do anything with Kerbal levels, and if Strategia isn't being careful about capping Kerbal levels it could lead to problems when KSP tries to assign the correct star icon for the Kerbal portrait.

Edited by DMagic

New modlet: One Window; get it on Space Dock.

It provides a single location to store all on-screen messages. You can control which messages are displayed (all are captured, even they aren't currently displayed) based on their on-screen location using the icons in the top-right. Some time and location information can also be toggled using the icons in the top-left, along with allowing messages to be displayed in both the window and on-screen, and a button to write all of the current messages to the log file.

The window only displays messages from the current scene, it has no memory or history of past messages.

Check the first post for more details and download links.

USzKNXS.png

First let me say thanks for One Window. 

I really appreciate that you mentioned me but thatbwas not necessary.  Actually @Foxster is the one that had the idea (here). My part was just to bring it to the attention of people with skills to make it happen. 

Also I think,  and risk to say Foxster probably agree,  the fact the idea was realised is more important than any recognition given to us. 

Thank you for the One Window modlet! It's exactly what I have been looking for almost since I started playing KSP.

I love the filter buttons, the ability to toggle duplication, and the window resizability.

One small enhancement suggestion, if I may...

The ability to change the font size. An option of a smaller font (either as an in-mod option or via Settings.cfg) would allow for a smaller window, which is currently a tad large. 

Edited by Foxster

First of all - and excellent idea for One Window !

I had similar thoughts about caching screen messages in one place. Too many plugins (including stock) simply dump text on screen which does not persist long enough for player to read all of it properly.

This is especially useful when doing science missions - if you execute many experiments in a single shot, you can easily miss important messages for example about experiments not being reset (remotely or by a scientist) or science not transmitted entirely or ... you get the picture :)

I like launching satellites with experiments bound to action group and running them all at once at the right biome/situation (science-bomb style :) )

Ahh one more thing : does One Window have an option to ignore specific messages ? Like from a certain plugin ? Or to allow only messages from specific plugin ? If possible, this could be used to filter messages showing only executed experiments, experiment storage/transfers and data transmissions.

Silly me, the above message says mentions filtering :)

Edited by fatcargo

One Window version 2.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It features a few additional settings. The print-to-log button has been replaced in the top-left corner with the settings toggle button. Clicking this will cause the new settings menu to slide in at the bottom. It has three functions: The old log file button, a button to cycle through four different font sizes for the messages, and a slider to adjust the UI scale for the window (the stock, master UI scale also affects the window scale).

As for filtering, there isn't much that can be done. The only things inherent to messages that can be used for filtering is the screen position, the actual text content, the color, and the duration of the message. Color and duration wouldn't seem very useful, and text filtering is tricky, since it would just rely on matching exact text patterns. And once a screen message gets to the point to where it can be detected externally (i.e. the point where it is actually moved to the screen canvas) any information about its source is gone.

For the most part the messages that most people are probably interested in are posted in the upper-left corner. The lower-center and upper-right positions are rarely used, and don't usually contain information that you would want to store. The upper-center position has lots of important messages, but these are usually things that only matter at the time they are posted. So I would just leave the upper-right and upper-center positions on, and forget about the others, but if you need them for some reason the messages are always being logged, so they will appear if you turn them back on.

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

It features a few additional settings.

First, thank you for another great utility.

Second, as a low priority request, consider eventually adding tooltips for the buttons.  I don't always remember what you mean. :cool:

Edited by Brigadier

• 2 weeks later...

@DMagic, I was using Celestial Body Science Editor, trying to reduce some Science Param's to a minimal value, to effectively zero them.

I know that the values can't be zeroed without issue, but at least for KSP 1.0, they could be set as low as 0.000000001F.

However, with the modlet, setting values lower than 0.1 via the in-game UI get set to 0.1.  If I use a MM script like this:

Spoiler

@ScienceConfigValuesNode[*]:NEEDS[ScienceParamModifier]
{
	@bodyDefaltConfigs
	{
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Kerbin]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 0.000000001F // 0.3
				@splashedData = 0.000000001F // 0.4
				@flyingLowData = 0.000000001F // 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}

then the values become 1.

Can you modify the modlet to allow for lower Science Param's, to an effectively zero value?

@DMagic, I've been working on my suit pack, and wanted to integrate matching icons for the Portrait Stats mod.  I'm noticing a slight bit of vertical distortion with the icons on the in-flight portraits.  It seems to be happening with both the default and the custom icons.  I'm wondering if you might know what is causing it, or if I've done something that might be messing things up.

Each of the custom icons I'm using is 61x61 pixels.  I tried adjusting each to be about 61x50, but it didn't change the aspect ratio at all.  I'm guessing the aspect of the icons may be hard coded somewhere.

Here's an album of examples and the icons I'm using:
https://imgur.com/a/Q9xqv

I don't fully understand how the science relay works. I landed a ship on the Mun and then transmitted it to my Station around Kerbin that has a science lab but when I switch to the station I can seem to find the transmitted science anywhere eon the station to transfer to the lab.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

@Jacke Don't use C# notation in configs, just use 0.000001, not 0.00001F. It should work fine otherwise.

@Cetera The size is actually sort of complicated since the image component doesn't have a fixed size, rather it is based on aspects of its parent object. So I'm not really sure what the exact size and aspect ratio are.

@KSPNoob Usually the science just ends up in a different container than what you are expecting, like a command pod. You can change the options to restrict science transfers to vessels with science labs, in which case it should only transfer data to the lab.

@siderr It's possible that there is a language issue when using Russian, but I don't think so. It isn't supposed to work in Sandbox mode, the button might show up if you have already loaded a non-sandbox save, but otherwise the mod is disabled in Sandbox mode.

Generally when the button doesn't show up in Career or Science mode it means that there are no valid vessels to connect to. The Science Relay settings (found in the stock difficulty settings panel) determine what a valid vessel is, and if CommNet is on you will need to have a connection to a vessel for it to show up.

44 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@siderr It's possible that there is a language issue when using Russian, but I don't think so. It isn't supposed to work in Sandbox mode, the button might show up if you have already loaded a non-sandbox save, but otherwise the mod is disabled in Sandbox mode.

Generally when the button doesn't show up in Career or Science mode it means that there are no valid vessels to connect to. The Science Relay settings (found in the stock difficulty settings panel) determine what a valid vessel is, and if CommNet is on you will need to have a connection to a vessel for it to show up.

So shameful, sorry-_- It really works, when i have another ship