[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

Is there any way of making your flexible docking ports more flexible once they've attached?? I have spent a lot of time trying to make a working articulated lorry system but as of yet i'm stuck to big long vehicles.

I even tried to use your EVA struts to accomplish the same thing but the restrictions will not let me (not complaining about the struts btw, just complaining that I can't do what i want lol)

Either way continue the great work dude, i really love your mods =D

Edited by Daylen

Just a minor thing that I noticed, Science Relay is not listed in CKAN, the indexing might have failed somehow. I am on CKAN version 1.20.1-0-gd41fe54 and I have refreshed the repositories. I am not aware of how CKAN works internally so please forgive me if I am just being impatient but since another new goodie, the Kerb Net Controller is already listed, I assume that something went wrong.

Also thanks for Science Relay as it is the only mod to my knowledge that allows for single experiments to be transfered between vessels. Testing it right now.

@wasml Thanks, the links should be fixed now.

@Daylen Flexible Docking ports are incredibly tricky and restrictive. Any kind of flexing when docked probably isn't possible and would be really complicated to add if it is. I can make the ports allow for more rotation at the end of the port, but it screws up the positioning math and I haven't had time to figure out how to fix it.

The basic problem is that Unity really doesn't like this kind of modeling. The only way that I could get the parts to flex and bend properly is by manually animating it, which makes things tricky.

@dr_evil That's CKAN doing its thing. I'm not sure why it hasn't been added, the other two new additions have, including Basic Orbit which had a problem with the license field.

I'm somewhat surprised that a science transmission mod hasn't been done before, the basic components are all very simple (it took less than a day to figure the basics out). The only really complicated part is getting the Direct antenna to Direct antenna connections, CommNet ignores those so I have to do them myself (sort of, CommNet provides most of what I need for this), but that obviously wouldn't have been a problem pre-KSP 1.2.

Edit: 

Science Relay should be up on CKAN now.

Edited by DMagic

Science Relay looks great! 

Have just played with it, and I do have a question - will it let you relay over a control network even without KSC access? What I'm thinking of doing is creating a mothership that can drop probes while it does flybys, collect data from the probes, then pass all that data on to KSC at a later time (after the probe meets its fiery demise). IS there a way to do that I'm just not seeing?

Any vessel that has either a direct connection to the active vessel, or a chain of relays that connects back to the active vessel is a possible receiver, it doesn't care about access to the KSC or control networks. The only thing that is required is a valid connection and a module science container (which all command pods, some probe cores and the new science container have), or, depending on your settings, a lab.

So as long as your drones have an antenna and an unobstructed line-of-site (using the stock planet occlusion system) back to the mothership they should be able to transmit. The transmissions take up time and electricity just like regular transmissions.

Hey @DMagic, great job on all of these! I have almost all of your mods installed.

I'm having trouble with Basic Orbit however. I can move the info panels around just fine, but the control panel itself is fixed to the Basic Orbit icon in the toolbar. Which... would be fine, except I have, aherm, a -lot- of mods... <.< And that one happens to be second from the bottom, so the settings fall off the bottom of the screen with no way to access them. Since Blizzy's hasn't been updated yet, I'm stuck with stock toolbar.

Is there a way you could maybe undock that window in a quick update sometime soonish if you have time? :)

@FirroSeranel I'll look into it. It should be simple enough to check if the panel is near the bottom and move it up, or just spawn the settings windows on top of the panel.

In the mean time you might try reducing the UI scale of the Apps bar (from the in-game settings menu) temporarily to try and make the buttons move up a bit.

Edited by DMagic

I've used EVA Struts/Transfer for a long time, they give me exactly what I want (instead of the whole KIS/KAS kablooie).

But the new portraits stats are just wonderful, I've always end up with crew and gawkers all over the bleeping solar system all with different tasks/requirements.

Actually started to hack up KML to create a list with all the info.

But now this! I don't have to hack up my own :)

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@FirroSeranel I'll look into it. It should be simple enough to check if the panel is near the bottom and move it up, or just spawn the settings windows on top of the panel.

In the mean time you might try reducing the UI scale of the Apps bar (from the in-game settings menu) temporarily to try and make the buttons move up a bit.

Oh, good idea, thanks!

Edit: Well... it helped a little anyway. Even at minimum (50%) some of the buttons were off the bottom of the screen. :( But it did still help!

Edited by FirroSeranel

13 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Daylen Flexible Docking ports are incredibly tricky and restrictive. Any kind of flexing when docked probably isn't possible and would be really complicated to add if it is. I can make the ports allow for more rotation at the end of the port, but it screws up the positioning math and I haven't had time to figure out how to fix it.

The basic problem is that Unity really doesn't like this kind of modeling. The only way that I could get the parts to flex and bend properly is by manually animating it, which makes things tricky.

Ok no worries, i have found that a direct dock with the ports extended actually makes the tube flex enough to have a slight turn. It helped me out last night when setting up a mining base and moving around a somewhat tight corner, since before with regular ports i kept on crashing lol. The only downside is if i turn too much they disconnect or just simply explode XD 

1 hour ago, Kiro said:

@DMagic, I love the new Science Relay mod.  Is it possible to get a transmission module on a Kerbal so that they can relay an EVA to a nearby craft?

There's an "EVAComms and Supplies" mod on CurseForge but it's for 1.1.  Dunno if it works in 1.2, but probably worth a try.

For anyone else interested in using EVA Kerbals to transmit results see these two threads:

Kerbals now have regular part config files in the GameData folder. So you can add a short range antenna either directly to the config file or use MM to do the same. The only real snag is that transmissions require a stupid amount of EC, so maybe set the EC requirements very low (packetResourceCost in the antenna config, I think), or give the Kerbal a huge battery.

@FirroSeranel I'll release an update soon that checks the position of the window and adds the settings panel above or below it. It will also only allow for one settings window to be open at a time, which will alleviate all the hassle of trying to position multiple panels (and I'll probably be adding a Maneuver node panel and adjusting the existing Target panel at some point, which would further complicate the situation). Also, there is a settings file in the BasicOrbit/PluginData folder that you can use to change which readout modules are active if the windows still don't work right.

Edited by DMagic

Hey DMagic, love your modlets (Portrait Stats in particular).

I'm curious if anyone has reported any conflicts to you with Flexible Docking and FAR. I'm still in 1.1.3, so it may be too late to report anything, but I did have a conflict arise a week or so ago where I had a space station core careening out of control about 3,000 meters up repeatedly. The culprit turned out to be the flexible ports and how FAR was voxelizing them:

eVx5BVr.png

Kinda pretty...

Anyways, I'll go ahead and download Flexible Docking for 1.2, as well as FAR for 1.2 when it's ready, and see if I can replicate the problem. If not, no harm, no foul. If it does carry over, what kind of information will you need from me in order to resolve the issue?

Just now, DMagic said:

@Curveball Anders Was this a regular tourist contract or one of the new pass out from gee forces contracts? Do you have the save file with that contract active? That would help.

Ordinary trip around the mun (same for minmus).

I'll see if I have one active, otherwise I'll snap a quicksave next time I get one.

I'm having trouble getting flexible docking ports to work... does it have to target another flexible docking port? I'm targeting a regular clamp-o-tron, and nothing happens. Even if I use thrusters to get the two lined up so that even a normal docking port could work, nothing happens. :( Am I doing something wrong?

UZUggZZ.png