[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

6 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@leatherneck6017 Yes, I see it now. It won't override the existing file name even with the different capitalization. So only a complete delete and re-install will end up with the capital F. That's super annoying...

Ah I see. Yes my 1.4 install was fresh, then the 1.4.1 went on top of it. I, of course, make a copy of the Steam version to use so that updates don't overwrite my game. I wonder if you could use a wildcard in the patch for the F/f. Like:

MODEL
{
	model = Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/*uelLine/model
	texture = model000, Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/*uelLine/model000 
}	

Portrait Stats version 17 is out on Space Dock.

It is updated to support localization and includes Chinese translations.

EVA Transfer version 8.1 is out on Space Dock.

The included part has the updated spelling for the stock fuel line part directory.

This note has been added to the first post about the inevitable confusion that will be caused when people upgrade KSP in-place from earlier versions to 1.4.x:

Spoiler

Note about upgrading from versions of KSP before 1.4.x:

A change in the directory name for the stock fuel line required a change made to this mod from version 8.1 onward. Anyone upgrading KSP from an earlier version may have the directory name with the old spelling, as it is not overwritten during the upgrade. Anyone installing 1.4.x fresh will have the new spelling and should use EVA Transfer version 8.1.

The old directory name was:
GameData/Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/fuelLine

the new name is:
GameData/Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/FuelLine

Note the difference in capitalization of the F in FuelLine. If you are using version 8.1 and the EVA Transfer part is not loading you can either use version 8.0, or change the config file in the EVATransfer folder to refer to the old spelling:

The file is:
GameData/EVATransfer/EVAFuelLine/EVAFuelLine.cfg

The line needing a change is at the top: 
MODEL
{
         model = Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/FuelLine/model  (change FuelLine to fuelLine if you have upgraded KSP from an earlier version to 1.4.x)
}

I'm using Portrait Stats on a highly modded KSP 1.4.1 install. When I also use KerboKatz FPS Limiter (which works ok, but is still the version for 1.3.1), the trait icons are gone.
I don't see any errors in the log, tho. Does anyone have a workaround here or know why these correlate?

@Jebs_SY It's possible that the Community Trait Icons (a dependency of Portrait Stats) plugin is being flagged by Windows Defender. That happened to me yesterday. You can check that folder to see if the .dll is there. If it isn't there the trait icons and some other features won't work properly.

You can also double check the settings for Portrait Stats to make sure the trait icons are turned on.

@DMagic
Thx, this is all triple checked. And PS work well, when I remove the Kerbokatz (FPSViewer, FPSLimiter). I already recompiled these two KK-Mods and also the KK-Tools, that doesn't help. The only thing left from "KK for 1.3.1" are some unity asset files... maybe that collides with the way PS replaces the icons... or the KSP Api maybe has changed... I live for now without these two (FPS*) mods. Interestingly, KK-Tools+KK-PhysicalTimeRatioViewer+PS work well together.. only when you add KK-FPS-Limiter/KK-FPS-Viewer the PS Trait Icons are gone... the PS Overlay is still there... I'll wait for an official 1.4.x release of the KK Mods. :) o/ Thx anyway.

@Jebs_SY That's weird, everything PS does is pretty isolated to the Kerbal portrait UIs themselves, I don't know why a different UI mod would interfere. I'll try to look into it, though the Kerbokatz stuff is all so interconnected that it makes trying to figure out what it's doing a little tricky.

@DMagic
If you want to take a look into it, minimal way is Clean 1.4.1, CKAN set to 1.3 compatibility and install PS and KK-FPSViewer and KK-FPSLimiter and then just start a fresh career and spawn a pod onto the pad. You should see the missing trait icons on the picture. Could be related to the KK-Toolbar that comes when one have more than one KK-Mod installed. As in my "Highly modded" install KK-FPSLimiter is enough to break it, on the clean install I needed both KK-FPS*-Mods to break it.

Edited by Jebs_SY

• 2 weeks later...

I have ksp 1.4.2 installed and science relay installed. The version for 1.4.1. I review data on one vessel to send it to another vessel with a science lab, but the button to send the data is missing. Both vessels have antenna and they have electric charge too. My save is incompatible with 1.4.1 so I couldn't check that version. Do you know what could be wrong?

Edit: Got home and tried another save in 1.4.1. Button is still missing. Must be incompatibility with other mods. What mods might this be?

Edit 2: Doesn't work with no mods installed at all on 1.4.1. I must be doing something wrong.

Edit 3: Yep. I was a dumb and the settings were screwed up.

Edited by Wolfblade1215

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DMagic.  Love all your work.  I'm curious if Science Relay and your other modlets are on CKAN and I'm just missing them?  It's been killing me trying to figure out what mod let me transmit science between vessels and when I figured it out the one that did it doesn't seem to be there even though most of your other mods are.

13 hours ago, Bored971 said:

Hi DMagic.  Love all your work.  I'm curious if Science Relay and your other modlets are on CKAN and I'm just missing them?  It's been killing me trying to figure out what mod let me transmit science between vessels and when I figured it out the one that did it doesn't seem to be there even though most of your other mods are.

Science Relay v5.1 is on CKAN but the Max KSP Version is set at 1.4.1.  If you've limited your compatibility to 1.4.2 or 1.3.x, you won't see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking of how to model InSight mission in KSP, which transmits data via small relay satellites even if they don't have uplink to Earth at the moment of reception, and I found Science Relay. Is it possible to use it through kOS?

• 1 month later...

Hi @DMagic.  I have a request please that is similar to Science Relay.

Would you be please willing to craft a modlet that converts non transmissble science to transmitable using the MPL?

The idea is that material bays and goo require eye and finger proding analysis.  Not just looking at them through a camera or something. So like Kerbalism's idea of reducing transmission on these experiments to 0 - the MPL can be used to convert an experiment with 0 transmission to 100 transmission when crewed hy scientists.  Kerbalism does do something similar but complicates the Stockalike feel that this would bring.  Then you could transmit back to kerbin for the full amount.

If this is how Science Relay works then my apologies.  I started using it this morning for about 30 mins.  Also I know this or something similiar was in the original implementation for the MPL but that functionality was removed in 1.0 of favour of unlimited science.

Peace.

(And thanks for Kerbnet Controller and EVA Transfer!  I've been using them for a long while now!)

EDIT - May I please add in Surface Samples to this request as as well.

Edited by theJesuit
Adding to the request.

Not sure if you ever solved the issue with the game freezing when collecting science but I may have another piece of the puzzle. 

My install is modded all to heck and back and includes CommNetConstellation.  I've not had any problems until after I launched my first science lab.  (It's the bigby orbital workshop from MOLE mod.)  The next ship to go up was a probe to do a lot of experiments in orbit and take them to the lab.  This probe is the first time I experience the freeze and it happen consistently.   It leaves absolutely nothing in the logs.  You've seen all of this before. 

What might be new is this:  I went to uninstall science relay to confirm it was (obviously in combination with other mods) the source of my problem.  Even though KSP had crashed and was no longer running I could not delete the science relay dll, windows reported that it was still in use.  I'm not sure if it will be but I hope that bit of info may be helpful in some way.

(Love your mods, btw.  Really good stuff.)

@CaribeanSoul Hmm. If other science-recognition-mods which mostly are forks from one origin have the same code which is prone to this issue?

I still wonder if this is a pure stock issue or a mod issue when I see these freezes after each single transmission. No matter which mod.

It's getting really annoying when transmissions of many results are going scheduled, like with Kerbalism.

11 hours ago, CaribeanSoul said:

What might be new is this:  I went to uninstall science relay to confirm it was (obviously in combination with other mods) the source of my problem.  Even though KSP had crashed and was no longer running I could not delete the science relay dll, windows reported that it was still in use.  I'm not sure if it will be but I hope that bit of info may be helpful in some way.

That would indicate that it was still in memory, probably waiting for you to click an OK button

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That would indicate that it was still in memory, probably waiting for you to click an OK button

I had already acknowledged the crash.  I checked both windows task manager and process lasso's task manager for ksp processes and none were shown in either.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@CaribeanSoul Hmm. If other science-recognition-mods which mostly are forks from one origin have the same code which is prone to this issue?

I still wonder if this is a pure stock issue or a mod issue when I see these freezes after each single transmission. No matter which mod.

It's getting really annoying when transmissions of many results are going scheduled, like with Kerbalism.

If I had to bet it would be on some interaction between science relay and CommNetConstellation.  Probably something related to checking connectivity between vessels that would normally be connected in stock but aren't because they are on different networks in constellation.

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Ummm, I'm currently maintaining 3 science management mods, and believe me, they are not forks from one origin

Just now, CaribeanSoul said:

Well I did, obviously.  I just thought it might be interesting that the dll was hung up like that in relation to these freezes.  

Removing science relay got rid of my freezes, btw.

Well, _something_ was keeping it open, but probably not related to the cause of the crash.  I've seen that before (files being kept openh)