[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

6 hours ago, DMagic said:

New modlet available: Making Less History. Get it on Space Dock.

This mod prevents KSP from loading all of the Mission Builder components of Making History, allowing for shorter load times and less memory usage in-game. Check the 1st post for details, but it is a very simple and fully reversible way of saving a little bit of time (15-30s) during loading and a little bit of memory usage (~250-300MB) in-game.

<whispers> THIS IS BRILIANT! (((((while I appreciate the great work that was done with the mission builder and the cool missions and scenarios that can be crafted, the fact that it interfaces not-at-all with the normal game renders it nearly useless to me [why the heck did they build that????]))))) </whispers>

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

It does eliminate the alternate launch site options, though, which, even though I seldom use that function, is nice to have.

You mean Dessert and the other one?

That's a shame if it's the case.  Those (and the parts) are the best part of the dlc IMHO.

Peace.

8 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

It does eliminate the alternate launch site options, though, which, even though I seldom use that function, is nice to have.

Thankfully tho Kerbal Konstructs still has its own launch location selector, even in v1.5.1, since backwards compatibility has been supported by @Ger_space

Edited by Drew Kerman

8 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

That's a shame, I guess it's another silly thing was arbitrarily added to the expansion but not the base game...

There probably isn't a way to trick KSP into thinking that the expansion is installed for the purposes of using the launch sites without causing havoc elsewhere. And the alternate launchpad model and texture files are probably included in the MH asset bundles, which are what take so long to load.

I added a note about that to the description in the 1st post.

Edited by DMagic

54 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Thankfully tho Kerbal Konstructs still has its own launch location selector, even in v1.5.1, since backwards compatibility has been supported by @Ger_space

too bad I cannot bring back these launchsites with KK, as they are deep inside hidden within the code of the expansion.

you can use Kerbal-Konstructs and 

from @Eskandare 

That brings a nicer desert LaunchSite

@DMagic Another thing I've found that Making Less History cuts is the ability to use the retro MH space suits and it resets all existing Kerbals to the default space suit.  The coat hangars in the astronaut complex are missing. I'd been using this as one way to differentiate pilots from scientists/engineers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2015 at 8:21 PM, DMagic said:

Making Less History - v1.0

Do you not like waiting for KSP to load? Do you also own the Making History Expansion? Do you also not really care about the Mission Builder aspects of Making History? And do you also maybe want to use the Making History parts? And do you like it when KSP uses a bit less memory? And do you also not care about using alternate launch sites without using other mods? :blush:

If you answered yes six times then this mod is for you.

Can I just say this is the best description for a mod I think I've ever seen. It's got just the right amount of snarky pizzaz wrapped within an obliquely-informative blurb about what it actually does. I definitely answered like 5 or 6 "Yes" so it's going right in my load order along with just about every other DMagic mod. Thanks!

Edited by scottadges

On 1/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, Ger_space said:

too bad I cannot bring back these launchsites with KK, as they are deep inside hidden within the code of the expansion.

you can use Kerbal-Konstructs and 

from @Eskandare 

That brings a nicer desert LaunchSite

I can make a "flat" launch object and sink it blow the object for the launch sites, this would help in returning the launch facility. 

Hey @DMagic I can't seem to get ScienceParamModifier working with ModuleManager. I read your posts several pages back listing the syntax but it isn't working for me. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

@ScienceConfigValuesNode[*]:NEEDS[ScienceParamModifier]
{
	@bodyDefaltConfigs
	{
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Sun]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 2.5
				@splashedData = 2.5
				@flyingLowData = 2.5
				@flyingHighData = 2.5
				@spaceLowData = 6
				@spaceHighData = 2.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Kerbin]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 0.8
				@splashedData = 0.8
				@flyingLowData = 0.8
				@flyingHighData = 0.8
				@spaceLowData = 1.5
				@spaceHighData = 1.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Mun]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 3
				@splashedData = 3
				@flyingLowData = 2
				@flyingHighData = 2
				@spaceLowData = 2
				@spaceHighData = 2
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Minmus]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 3.5
				@splashedData = 3.5
				@flyingLowData = 2.5
				@flyingHighData = 2.5
				@spaceLowData = 2.5
				@spaceHighData = 2.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Moho]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 4
				@flyingHighData = 4
				@spaceLowData = 4
				@spaceHighData = 4
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Eve]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 4
				@splashedData = 4
				@flyingLowData = 3
				@flyingHighData = 3
				@spaceLowData = 3
				@spaceHighData = 3
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Duna]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 4
				@splashedData = 4
				@flyingLowData = 3
				@flyingHighData = 3
				@spaceLowData = 3
				@spaceHighData = 3
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Ike]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 4
				@splashedData = 4
				@flyingLowData = 3
				@flyingHighData = 3
				@spaceLowData = 3
				@spaceHighData = 3
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Jool]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 5
				@flyingHighData = 5
				@spaceLowData = 3.5
				@spaceHighData = 3.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Laythe]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5.5
				@splashedData = 5.5
				@flyingLowData = 4.5
				@flyingHighData = 4.5
				@spaceLowData = 4.5
				@spaceHighData = 4.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Vall]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 4
				@flyingHighData = 4
				@spaceLowData = 4
				@spaceHighData = 4
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Bop]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 4
				@flyingHighData = 4
				@spaceLowData = 4
				@spaceHighData = 4
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Tylo]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 4
				@flyingHighData = 4
				@spaceLowData = 4
				@spaceHighData = 4
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Gilly]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 4.5
				@splashedData = 4.5
				@flyingLowData = 3.5
				@flyingHighData = 3.5
				@spaceLowData = 3.5
				@spaceHighData = 3.5
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Pol]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 5
				@splashedData = 5
				@flyingLowData = 4
				@flyingHighData = 4
				@spaceLowData = 4
				@spaceHighData = 4
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Dres]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 4
				@splashedData = 4
				@flyingLowData = 3
				@flyingHighData = 3
				@spaceLowData = 3
				@spaceHighData = 3
			}
		}
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Eeloo]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@landedData = 6
				@splashedData = 6
				@flyingLowData = 5
				@flyingHighData = 5
				@spaceLowData = 5
				@spaceHighData = 5
			}
		}
	}
}

EDIT:
Got it working by getting rid of the [*]. Carry on.

Edited by _Zee

@_Zee Keep in mind that the values in the config file are only used as defaults for new save files (or existing save files when first installing the mod). The actual values are stored in each game's persistent file. The in-game window allows you to revert to either the defaults specified in the config file, or the stock values.

First, thanks for all your efforts.  The mods are great and I really enjoy having them in my game.

Second, a request:

OneWindow v3.0 (and all the previous ones actually), KSP 1.6.1 (and previous).

When I shrink the size of the UI, reducing both text size (by the settings slider) and window size (by dragging the lower-right corner), the resulting OneWindow window cannot be moved completely to the bottom edge of the screen.  Any attempt to place it any closer to the bottom edge results in the window automatically repositioning to leave space below the UI's bottom edge, as shown below.

UI at 100% text but minimum window vertical size (dragged the lower-right corner).

5P2der3.jpg

UI text at an arbitrary reduced size, and the resulting space between the UI and screen lower edge which can't be eliminated.

YmP6t0C.jpg

Could the UI be allowed to move to the bottom edge of the screen?

• 1 month later...

Flexible Docking version 7.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This is a small update to support Restock. It includes a .whitelist file (thanks Toxicterror) to prevent Restock from unloading the standard stock docking port textures. If you aren't using Restock* then this update isn't necessary.

Given the complexity of making the flexible docking port models, it's unlikely that these parts will actually be updated to match the Restock styling and textures.

@Brigadier Not too surprising. UI scaling can sometimes have weird effects like that. I'll try to see I can figure out what's going on.

* did you hit your head on something?

• 2 weeks later...

@MaverickSawyer The EVA fuel lines can only be connected to two separate vessels. If you try to connect it to the same vessel it just won't work, and if you connect two separate vessels then dock them, then the EVA fuel line will be cut.

Even if they did work on the same vessel they don't establish a fuel connection that KSP can understand. It only allows you to manually move resources between vessels.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@MaverickSawyer The EVA fuel lines can only be connected to two separate vessels. If you try to connect it to the same vessel it just won't work, and if you connect two separate vessels then dock them, then the EVA fuel line will be cut.

Even if they did work on the same vessel they don't establish a fuel connection that KSP can understand. It only allows you to manually move resources between vessels.

Ah, okay. Darn.

Anyone else having trouble getting science to relay to a lab in 1.6.1?  It says it sends it but it never shows up.  The experiment seems to let me get the science again and I can transfer it to KSC, just not to a processing lab.  Haven't looked at the logs yet or done any formal troubleshooting just noticed it last night and was wondering if anyone else was seeing this?

1 hour ago, Eugene Moreau said:

Anyone else having trouble getting science to relay to a lab in 1.6.1?  It says it sends it but it never shows up.  The experiment seems to let me get the science again and I can transfer it to KSC, just not to a processing lab.  Haven't looked at the logs yet or done any formal troubleshooting just noticed it last night and was wondering if anyone else was seeing this?

Ok.  After doing some actual research and thinking about this after I just threw that out there hoping for magic, are there any known conflicts with Science - Full Transmit or Remote Tech?

Thank you for the useful mods!

However could you put a little warning to the Making Less History that it resets the settings upon installing (and maybe uninstalling)?

It doesn't make any harm, but after the install it caused a few "what" moments before I realised that the settings had been resetted.

Have a nice day

8 hours ago, Friznit said:

Science Relay is working fine in my 1.6.1 game.  Check your difficulty settings - by default you need a science lab and a relay antenna at both ends for the option to show up.

it's not even in the difficulty setting,  i don't know why

edit: just try the clean install and it's working now.

Edited by AliceM

• 1 month later...

Would you mind recompiling EVA Struts for 1.7? Or update the version info? I tried editing the version file but that doesn’t seem to help, and I’m getting the “ this works for 1.6 only” message (it works fine in 1.7) every time I start the game.