[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

10 hours ago, DMagic said:

Portrait Stats 8.0 and Celestial Body Science Editor 6.0 are out for KSP 1.1; get them on SpaceDock.

Portrait Stats has new setting options which allow for replacing the stock Kerbal trait text with an icon, with forcing the display to always be visible, and for using the two tooltips.

Lovely, thank you :)

New modlet: EVA Struts; get it on Space Dock.

Thanks to @regex and @5thHorseman for the idea. 

This addon borrows heavily from EVA Resource Transfer and uses the same basic system for attaching a strut while on EVA; follow the instructions for that in the first post. The difference is that the strut can only attach parts on the same vessel.

The struts are removed if the parts separate from the vessel; through docking, decoupling, or other forms of breakage. :D

The part uses the same model and properties as the stock strut, and can be found in the Advanced Construction tech node.

An EVA strut on the left and a normal strut on the right, both are holding these SRBs just fine.

HgfrDOy.png

Detach the EVA strut and see the difference. :cool:

aj98fuB.png

11 minutes ago, DMagic said:

New modlet: EVA Struts; get it on Space Dock.

Thanks to @regex and @5thHorseman for the idea. 

This addon borrows heavily from EVA Resource Transfer and uses the same basic system for attaching a strut while on EVA; follow the instructions for that in the first post. The difference is that the strut can only attach parts on the same vessel.

The struts are removed if the parts separate from the vessel; through docking, decoupling, or other forms of breakage. :D

The part uses the same model and properties as the stock strut, and can be found in the Advanced Construction tech node.

Very cool. Between this and fuel transfer, you've actually eliminated the need for me to install K[AI]S. Nothing against that mod, it just does about 10 times what I generally want :)

Now if I can get my flexible docking port to work I think I'll have completed the trifecta of stand-alone KAS replacements.

Note to any aspiring modders, the reason why no one has made a flexible docking port (and not the oversize strut that KAS provides) is that it is a seven-layer-deep, massive headache. Every step has something that makes it much more complicated than it seems like it should be.

I actually have an almost working solution, it nicely extends out and translates side-to-side and up-and-down, I just haven't time to work on it since the 1.1 pre-release.

Just now, AlphaAsh said:

Obvious question from this dumbass. After docking two craft together, that's then considered one craft and I can strut my funky stuff with this?

Yes, docking two craft create one.  That was the whole reason behind asking for the strut mod, orbital construction.

13 hours ago, DMagic said:

Version 9.0 of Portrait Stats is out; get it on Space Dock.

It features a minor change for KSP 1.1.1.

Although the change log says it's 1.1.1, pages says it's 1.1... Guessing the option wasn'T available at the time, right ?

I ran out of likes for the day, so I cannot like the EVA Struts micro-mod. Incredibly useful for keeping a large, cobbled-together mass of inflatable heatshields rigid when docked to a massive station, in sandbox. I already have four small EVA strut modules getting a boost up along with the next refueler to this station, with claws, to dock and stop the problem of claws pivoting due to the overloading strength of (other) gigantic modules (not including the heatshield, which was launched with the struts), when the pivot is locked

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the GitHub issue, PortraitStats never writes to the config file. The only time it will change is when you manually make the change in the file, which is not something that's likely to happen more than once or twice. Or you can just make a MM patch to change the settings and not worry about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

These should all be working in 1.1.3. The only one I've tested and marked as compatible on Space Dock is Portrait Stats. I'll try to test the others out soon, in the mean time, let me know if anything isn't working correctly.

EVA Struts 2.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes an error that prevented struts from detaching upon decoupling or undocking without first reloading the vessel. This version should also work fine on KSP 1.1.2.

Also, EVA Resource Transfer and Celestial Body Science Editor were both marked as compatible with 1.1.3.

Also, I have a new modlet that I would like people to test out for me. A flexible docking port:

As you can see it is designed to look like the stock clampotron and shares its texture.

The docking port has two modes; when retracted it behaves like a normal port, but when extended it allows for a limited range of translation and rotation of the docking port head. 

There are controls for extending and retracting the port, and for deactivating the magnets (this works for both modes, and should work when this is not the dominant port). It is meant for facilitating base construction or other types of ground docking, but it also works in space. You might want to disable the magnets in space though, at least for lighter vessels, as they tend to get tossed around faster than the docking port can move. Also note that when two flexible ports are brought together only one will be active, when both are active they tend to chase each other around and you get odd results.

For now I'm only releasing a version for testing. It has a single port, the 1.25m part that pairs with a standard clampotron. The stock 1.25m docking port is required (in case anyone has deleted or replaced it) as they share the same texture. The part is in the start node of the tech tree and it is very cheap.

All aspects of the part are subject to change in future releases, so don't use this for anything you aren't willing to lose.

Download it from GitHub and let me know how it works: https://github.com/DMagic1/KSP_Flexible_Docking/releases/tag/v0.1

It is release under the MIT license, and the stock docking port model was only used for reference, everything here was made from scratch.

Edited by DMagic
license

19 hours ago, DMagic said:

For now I'm only releasing a version for testing. It has a single port, the 1.25m part that pairs with a standard clampotron. The stock 1.25m docking port is required (in case anyone has deleted or replaced it) as they share the same texture. The part is in the start node of the tech tree and it is very cheap.

All aspects of the part are subject to change in future releases, so don't use this for anything you aren't willing to lose.

Download it from GitHub and let me know how it works: https://github.com/DMagic1/KSP_Flexible_Docking/releases/tag/v0.1

It is release under the MIT license, and the stock docking port model was only used for reference, everything here was made from scratch.

Ooh that looks cool, I'll give this a play with over the weekend, is it 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 friendly?

@genericeventhandler It should work find for either.

It was compiled for 1.1.3, but nothing really changed related to how this works. It uses the stock docking port module for the actual docking business, the code for my part is mostly just basic Unity stuff and lots of math to position the docking port head correctly.