[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

@Psycho_zs Those values can't be changed, the translation and rotation values are baked into the part models, they are specified in the part config file just because that's easier than hard-coding them or making different part modules for each size.  I believe increasing them might actually decrease the amount of rotation applied, but I'm not sure.

I actually have a method for significantly increasing the allowed rotation, to about 30 - 35o, but it somehow screws up the positioning and rotation math, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort to implement it.

@Noromier @wile1411 Can you send your mod lists. I think I have a few other lists with the same problem, so I might be able to combine them and narrow it down to a reasonable number of mods.

Edited by DMagic

12 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Noromier @wile1411 Can you send your mod lists. I think I have a few other lists with the same problem, so I might be able to combine them and narrow it down to a reasonable number of mods.

Here is the dropbox link for my mod list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/httt47ojvo0ipvu/Mods List.txt?dl=0

Hope that helps!

On 11/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, DMagic said:

and here's my mod list file. I tried to take out stuff like OPM and Kopernicus and the problem would go away. frustrating when trying to limit what affects the issue.

If it helps (not sure how) - to me, it seems to be stuck in a similar lock I get which I've coded a VBA macro horribly and forgot to add an iteration line in a loop somewhere, leaving it condemned to loop infinitely. Might there be a far-edge case when stuff is zero that allows a loop to continue checking forever? 

Edited by wile1411

@Noromier @wile1411 I've been trying to trigger the error using the common mods in your lists, in addition to Kopernicus, OPM, MOLE, and CommNet Constellation, but I'm not seeing anything. I've tried it with a variety of vessels and connections, and even after collecting, transmitting and recollecting data dozens of times, from different vessels, and in different situations, I still never see a freeze.

Here is a link to a modified version of the assembly with a lot of extra logging. It basically logs each step of the connection check for each vessel, which comes out to a lot of lines, so it may cause some stutter when the science results window is opened:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsesw0e8hgpz7uk/ScienceRelay.dll?dl=0

15 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Noromier @wile1411 I've been trying to trigger the error using the common mods in your lists, in addition to Kopernicus, OPM, MOLE, and CommNet Constellation, but I'm not seeing anything. I've tried it with a variety of vessels and connections, and even after collecting, transmitting and recollecting data dozens of times, from different vessels, and in different situations, I still never see a freeze.

Here is a link to a modified version of the assembly with a lot of extra logging. It basically logs each step of the connection check for each vessel, which comes out to a lot of lines, so it may cause some stutter when the science results window is opened:

I'm not sure where i need to place that file, if you explain I will be happy to check it out for you. I should also not that this problem does seem to only be at its worst when using certain experiments like scan sat results trigger this crash if i try to collect and send the results more than once. That is the experiment that come to mind right now but I can certainly update with the others i have had problems with later. I should also note that the crash was happening before installing that mod as well. Need to launch KSP and look through all the experiments again but the vanilla experiments seem to be the ones that I have this crash with the least of all though it has happened. This crash also only happens when the experiment window is opening, before it is displayed, not when trying to transmit. So will this file be able to log whats going on during this process and save it if the game does crash?

16 hours ago, DMagic said:

Awesome and thanks @DMagic Tried this today and got the following extra info from the ksp.log once the screen froze:

[LOG 16:44:58.182] [Science_Relay] Finding Connected Vessels...
[LOG 16:44:58.185] [Science_Relay] Parsing vessels for connection
[LOG 16:44:58.187] [Science_Relay] Source node valid
[LOG 16:44:58.188] [Science_Relay] Source network valid
[LOG 16:44:58.189] [Science_Relay] Vessel status check for
---- MinMusScan ----

log stops here as KSP is frozen. I have no craft around Minmus at the time this froze. 

Edited by wile1411

@Noromier It replaces the existing file in the GameData/ScienceRelay folder.

@wile1411 Do you have a vessel with that name somewhere? KSP seems to think you do, and Science Relay filters out anything marked as debris, flag, unknown, or spaceobject (asteroid). If not, then can you send a copy of your save file? Maybe there is some corrupted vessel entry that's causing problems.

In any event that log helps to narrow down the problem to the point where it's checking the network pathway between the source vessel and each other vessel. While I can't do much about the method itself, I might be able to check something about the vessel to make sure it won't cause a problem by running that method.

13 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Noromier It replaces the existing file in the GameData/ScienceRelay folder.

@wile1411 Do you have a vessel with that name somewhere? KSP seems to think you do, and Science Relay filters out anything marked as debris, flag, unknown, or spaceobject (asteroid). If not, then can you send a copy of your save file? Maybe there is some corrupted vessel entry that's causing problems.

In any event that log helps to narrow down the problem to the point where it's checking the network pathway between the source vessel and each other vessel. While I can't do much about the method itself, I might be able to check something about the vessel to make sure it won't cause a problem by running that method.

Rechecked - the "MinMusScan" is a craft that was launch from Kerbin but is still 9 days away from Minmus, but still in Kerbin SOI.
I've scanned through all the modules on each vessel and nothing seems out of whack that I can tell. I also compared the antenna modules on each vessel and got the below.

Question, why would Science Relay check a vessel that's out of range? or is that not a check that gets done?

Checking the Comm setup on each craft:
Maxwell 1 (vessel that does the reliable crash) only has a SurfAntenna
range 500k
right click menu on probe core gives: 
   Comm Signal 1.00
   Comm First Hop 758km

MinMusScan vessel has 2 x HighGainAntenna5 in symmetry 
range 5.00M combinable
right click menu on probe core gives: 
   Comm Signal: 1.00
   Comm First Hop Dist 100nm    (<- is that number ok?)

There isn't a no comms link between the two vessels, nor should there be with only a surface antenna on the Maxwell1 sat (the one in polar orbit).
4z2ILomh.png

reverse view from the sat with the SurfAntenna in case it helps. MinMusScan leaving Kerbin at top middle of screen.
gWnpHCJh.png

Edited by wile1411
additional pic

On 11/30/2017 at 3:38 PM, wile1411 said:

Comm First Hop Dist 100nm    (<- is that number ok?)

This definitely doesn't look right, that's 100 nanometers. Is the probe controllable? I have no idea why it would come up with that value, but I guess it could potentially either cause problems on its own, or signal some deeper issue that's tripping up CommNet somewhere. The methods used for checking the Comms path (where the log indicates it's freezing) do involve some loops, so it's possible something is causing it to get stuck there.

@LaureeGrd It will work with RemoteTech, it just won't respect any of RT's connection status. It will basically just assume that data can be sent to any vessel with a valid science container.

17 hours ago, DMagic said:

This definitely doesn't look right, that's 100 nanometers. Is the probe controllable? I have no idea why it would come up with that value, but I guess it could potentially either cause problems on its own, or signal some deeper issue that's tripping up CommNet somewhere. The methods used for checking the Comms path (where the log indicates it's freezing) do involve some loops, so it's possible something is causing it to get stuck there.

@LaureeGrd It will work with RemoteTech, it just won't respect any of RT's connection status. It will basically just assume that data can be sent to any vessel with a valid science container.

Here's the screenshots to show the details in the right client menus for antenna and probes. Anything I can look into in the the persistence file to fine out why the probe have a range of nano meters?

The probe in controllable via the DSN (green link on both sat. The sat that freezes my game has a red comm link to the sat in question.

HC7CpFNh.png

ZiA4Dq9h.png

Hi I love the idea of flexible docking ports, but I have am explosion on launch when I install one of those.
Have anybody had problems like that?

*** Edit. It only happens if it has an attached part. If I put it on my vessel undocked there is no explosion***

Greetings

Zeke

Edited by ezequielandrush

Happy Friday, @DMagic!

I just started using One Window, and I love it!  Thank you for this mod, it was a great idea.  It is extremely nice having text all show up at one place, instead of several, generally where I have a mod window I want to pay attention to.

Is there any setting to adjust the transparency/opacity of the box where the text shows?

• 3 weeks later...

@DMagic  https://github.com/DMagic1/KSP-Portrait-Stats/pull/7  Support localization and translate Chinese;

// Astronaut Parts

#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_COURAGE = Courage:
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_STUPIDITY = Stupidity:
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_VETERAN = Veteran
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_BADASS = Badass
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_EXPERIENCE = Experience:
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_CURRENT_FLIGHT = Current Flight:

// Tourist Parts
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_ITINERARY = {0}'s itinerary:
#PORTAIT_STATS_UI_GO_HOME= Get thee home!

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please clarify something for me? The Science Relay mod is not working like i expected; it seems to me that the receiving vessel's antenna range is limiting the eligible sender vessels, which as i understand shouldn't be the case - it should be the other way round, right?

The specific situation is this: i have a science lab in low kerbin orbit with little antenna power, since it wasnt meant to go far. it is powered and can receive science transmissions. around kerbin i also have 3 equatorial relays which are spaced evenly to eliminate any blind spots. 

Now i tried to transmit science from a probe in heliocentric orbit. this probe has enough antenna power to connect to kerbin directly, which means it's more than capable of reaching the science lab, but it can't. And i don't know why that is.

To troubleshoot the issue, i sent another probe into low kerbin orbit and it turned out that even that could only transmit science when there was a direct "line of sight" to the lab, despite the relays floating around. So i guess the lab is not using the relays somehow? but even so, that heliocentric probe should be able to transmit to it without any relays to help, so what is the dealio here?

link to a screenshot: https://ibb.co/dU30Bm the lab is the thing in polar orbit

Edited by boeserwolf93

1 hour ago, boeserwolf93 said:

Could someone please clarify something for me? The Science Relay mod is not working like i expected; it seems to me that the receiving vessel's antenna range is limiting the eligible sender vessels, which as i understand shouldn't be the case - it should be the other way round, right?

The specific situation is this: i have a science lab in low kerbin orbit with little antenna power, since it wasnt meant to go far. it is powered and can receive science transmissions. around kerbin i also have 3 equatorial relays which are spaced evenly to eliminate any blind spots. 

Now i tried to transmit science from a probe in heliocentric orbit. this probe has enough antenna power to connect to kerbin directly, which means it's more than capable of reaching the science lab, but it can't. And i don't know why that is.

To troubleshoot the issue, i sent another probe into low kerbin orbit and it turned out that even that could only transmit science when there was a direct "line of sight" to the lab, despite the relays floating around. So i guess the lab is not using the relays somehow? but even so, that heliocentric probe should be able to transmit to it without any relays to help, so what is the dealio here?

link to a screenshot: https://ibb.co/dU30Bm the lab is the thing in polar orbit

@boeserwolf93 

The plug-in is a relay, but this spacecraft does not seem to be connected to any relay satellite.

The spacecraft antenna should have a short, at least one relay connected to an antenna.

This short antenna should be 100% green, which will be better transmitted.

It is true that the repeater antenna is connected to the repeater antenna, and it seems that your distant spacecraft is connected to Kerbin, so for now you do not have to relay.

Please note the information in the game wikipad. The distance of the antenna!

Edited by CN_Warren

@boeserwolf93 Science Relay gets most of its connection information from KSP's relay system. So there are probably some cases where a satellite looks like it should be connected through relays, but it might not be.

Direct, line-of-sight connections between two vessels that don't have relay antennas aren't actually considered by KSP (there are really only two connection types, direct to home/control source, or a connection through relays), but are by Science Relay. So unless you have the "Require Relay" option enabled in Science Relay's settings (found in the stock difficulty panel settings), you should be able to transmit directly between two vessels if the antennas are strong enough. Again, this can be tricky, since KSP doesn't show those direct connection lines in the map view's network graph.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@boeserwolf93 Science Relay gets most of its connection information from KSP's relay system. So there are probably some cases where a satellite looks like it should be connected through relays, but it might not be.

Direct, line-of-sight connections between two vessels that don't have relay antennas aren't actually considered by KSP (there are really only two connection types, direct to home/control source, or a connection through relays), but are by Science Relay. So unless you have the "Require Relay" option enabled in Science Relay's settings (found in the stock difficulty panel settings), you should be able to transmit directly between two vessels if the antennas are strong enough. Again, this can be tricky, since KSP doesn't show those direct connection lines in the map view's network graph.

That's just what i thought - but it doesn't work like that unfortunately. "Require relays" is off, and the mentioned probe is well within range, but won't transmit. I'm currently trying out if making the lab access the relays will help (before it only had direct connection to kerbin), but i was really hoping to be able to make direct connection for relaying science.

EDIT: The whole thing does work when the lab can access relays, so that part is confirmed. still, this is more about the direct connections

I understand from CN_Warren's post that without a relay connection, the transmission is not supposed to work. So it comes down to this: are direct connections between two craft supported or not? and if they are, have i encountered a bug here?

4 hours ago, CN_Warren said:

@boeserwolf93 

The plug-in is a relay, but this spacecraft does not seem to be connected to any relay satellite.

The spacecraft antenna should have a short, at least one relay connected to an antenna.

This short antenna should be 100% green, which will be better transmitted.

It is true that the repeater antenna is connected to the repeater antenna, and it seems that your distant spacecraft is connected to Kerbin, so for now you do not have to relay.

Please note the information in the game wikipad. The distance of the antenna!

Thanks for answering, by the way. i appreciate it.

Edited by boeserwolf93

Hi!

Docking a flexible port to a stock one should be possible right? Because somehow I can't do it. I even uninstalled the only mod that tempered with the docking ports, which is Simple Construction.

Here's how my test setup looks like...

neEIkDK.png

Any ideas? Log file is right here. Thank you!

Edited by LEGIONBOSS
wrong image link

@LEGIONBOSS It should work fine, the docking port mechanics of the flexible ports are basically the same as the stock ports.

What does the flexible port say when you right click on it? There should be a status field with information about whether the docking port is in Acquire mode. You can also check if the magnets are turned off, but that wouldn't stop the flexible port from reaching out for the target port.

@boeserwolf93 Direct connections should work fine, but you need antennas on both vessels that are strong enough to make the connection and an un-obstructed line-of-sight between the vessels. Direct connections can also work through relays, so the source vessel connects to a relay (or multiple relays), then the relay connects to the vessel with only a direct connection antenna.

It can sometimes be hard to know if there is or should be a direct connection between vessels, as those aren't shown in the map view network graph.

It's also possible the vessels close to Kerbin might not always work as expected. A lot of the network code seems to work on the assumption that you are trying to find a connection between a vessel and Kerbin, so the system might be getting tripped up because it keeps finding Kerbin in the network graph, which is considered an end-point connection. That shouldn't be a problem, but it could be; it can be hard to test all of the various possible network connection possibilities.

6 hours ago, DMagic said:

@LEGIONBOSS It should work fine, the docking port mechanics of the flexible ports are basically the same as the stock ports.

What does the flexible port say when you right click on it? There should be a status field with information about whether the docking port is in Acquire mode. You can also check if the magnets are turned off, but that wouldn't stop the flexible port from reaching out for the target port.

Here's what is says when in close proximity to a stock docking port...

sXivrwN.png

And here it is in working order near another flexible one (after a little misshap)...

XEupksJ.png

I also tried this experiment with a clean install (only this and MM in there),  and it works, so I'm gonna troubleshoot which one messes it up.

GOTCHA!

The mod SnapDock made by Xiphos Aerospace is what broke it!

The whole thing is a cfg file that contains the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		captureMinRollDot = 0.98
		snapRotation = true		
		snapOffset = 5
	}
}

I guess these values shouldn't be tempered with next to your mod...

@LEGIONBOSS Those same fields (and all of the others for ModuleDockingNode) exist for this mod.

Setting those values just makes it so that both docking ports need to be rotationally aligned, which can be a little tricky since there are no visual indicators on the docking ports. So you could set the same values for the FlexoTube module and it should work, though I've never actually tested it. 

7 hours ago, DMagic said:

@LEGIONBOSS Those same fields (and all of the others for ModuleDockingNode) exist for this mod.

Setting those values just makes it so that both docking ports need to be rotationally aligned, which can be a little tricky since there are no visual indicators on the docking ports. So you could set the same values for the FlexoTube module and it should work, though I've never actually tested it. 

I did a few tests to determine which modification does it:

• Weird, I added a :FINAL modifier to this cfg, so that it changes the flexing ones too, and still nothing.
  • I also tested the possibility that they can only dock in a specific rotation (tried docking in space while one of the craft was slowly rotating), and that didn't work either.
  • I started commenting out lines in the cfg, and determined that changing snapRotation to true is what disables the thing. The captureMinRollDot line is fine.

Does this help?