[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

20 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Tuko The icon only appears when there is somewhere to send the science to. Depending on your Science Relay settings (found in the stock difficulty settings panel) this can be limited to vessels with a relay antenna, a science lab, or a crewed science lab, and in all cases it requires that the vessel have a science container of some sort on-board.

I'm using your Orbital Science with the Lab with other types of Probes.

The Lab is crewed with a scientist and engineer, using KAS and KIS and a bunch of other mods.

In addition, the "Skylab" station has a Salamander pod but no other science collecting module other then the Lab.

I've collected some science already and moved it to the Lab manually.

Also, I have a Plant growth module running the science collection currently and a bunch of other science devices.

Finally, across Kerbin, MUN and Minmus I have probes and relay satellites all of which do not have the relay option icoon visible either.

I've used your mod before on KSP 1.2.2 with no problems(I love using almost all of your mods).

I do meet all your requirements as you stated above but with "No Joy".

If you want to see my output log or any screenshots please let me know.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to open a new career game and progress along enough to see if it's a "New Game" issue.

I'm using virtually the same mods I used in KSP 1.2.2 all of which are updated and compatible with KSP 1.3.0.

***Updated*** - 06/27/2017

I just went back into KSP and started a new career called "Test".

I created a simple Mk1 capsule with batteries and a DP-10 Antenna, gieger counter, camera, Goo, etc.. for running experiments.

Leaving Jeb in the Capsule on the Launch pad I went into the SPH and created the same vessel and launched Valentina onto the runway and fired up an experiment and Voila !!!

The Relay-science icon appears on both ships.

NEXT:

I exited out of my test career game and back into my normal career game and recreated the exact same ships both on the Launch pad and the Runway and ran the science experiments and there were no Relay-science icons visible.

Therefore, is it possible that by installing Science Relay while using an existing saved game blocks the Relay-science from enabling itself inside the old saved game?

Perhaps there is a cached file or something that is not updating itself to load RS mod into the pre-existing save...I'm just guessing but lookinf for advice beside the obvious one which would be to restart a new Career game etc...

Edited by Tuko

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, is it possible to change the default stats in the "Celestial Body Science Editor" config file using module manager patches?

That would be a great help. Eg for balancing a tech tree against the abundance of KSC science or mun biome hopping, I could just massively lower the Kerbin/Mun etc landed modifiers via module manager patch when your mod is installed.

Edited by Yemo

@Yemo Yes, it should work fine, but you'll have to use fixed values, not multipliers. Otherwise someone could save the current values from in-game (the "Save to config" button shown in the first post) and it would then change the values for the config on disk, which would then be multiplied again. But if you use fixed values it will just overwrite whatever someone has set. People can still change the values, they are saved on a per-game basis in a scenario module, the config file is just for default values and for new games.

The config file is: GameData/ScienceParamModifier/ScienceParamModiferConfig.cfg.

I'm not sure what the exact MM syntax would be, but the node structure is:

ScienceConfigValuesNode
{
	bodyDefaltConfigs
	{
		Item
		{
			bodyName = Sun
			adjustedParams
			{
				landedData = 1
				splashedData = 1
				flyingLowData = 1
				flyingHighData = 1
				spaceLowData = 11
				spaceHighData = 2
				recoveredData = 4
				flyingThreshold = 18000
				spaceThreshold = 1E+09
			}
		}
	}
}

@Tuko I don't think there is anything that should prevent an existing save from working with Science Relay. It's just a script that runs in the flight scene. It doesn't work at all in sandbox mode, it just shuts down as soon as it loads, but it should otherwise work. Do you have CommNet on? Try turning it off if so, and see what happens. Also, set Science Relay's options to the least restrictive and see what happens.

@DMagic

Hm, this should do it, but there are no ingame changes.

@ScienceConfigValuesNode[*]:NEEDS[ScienceParamModifier]:FOR[aatest]
{
	@bodyDefaltConfigs[*]
	{
		@Item[*]:HAS[#bodyName[Kerbin]]
		{
			@adjustedParams[*]
			{
				@landedData = 0.01
			}
		}
	}
}

Does you plugin access the values from the database after module manager has a chance to modify them?

Or something in my code is wrong.

An update for Celestial Body Science Multiplier Editor is out; get it on Space Dock.

It allows for MM to be used to set the default values and fixes a minor error when trying to set default game parameter settings.

The MM syntax that I managed to get working is, I'm not sure if the [*] tags will mage any difference here:

@ScienceConfigValuesNode[*]:NEEDS[ScienceParamModifier]
{
	@bodyDefaltConfigs
	{
		@Item:HAS[#bodyName[Kerbin]]
		{
			@adjustedParams
			{
				@spaceHighData = 20
			}
		}
	}
}

Regarding Science Relay,

I'm having an odd issue where sending science data to another vessel results in it being transmitted to the KSC as well as the vessel, gaining science points and not letting the science lab process the data. I do have remotetech installed (as well as lots of other mods). Has anyone had this happen before, or know what causes it?

Yes, happened to me too at times.

Another "issue" I am having is, that I cannot transfer a bunch of experiments in one go (batteries be damned!) but have to right-click-review for each one to get the result window up again.

Good day, I have downloaded the mod Portrait Stats and despite having installed it, the portraits of my Kerbals in-game do not show an icon beside their name. I have checked both in sandbox and career and no icons appear. The tooltips appear when I hover on the Kerbals, but no icon is visible. Am I missing something? The DMagic tab at the difficulty options does not show Portrait Stats options. I have MKS installed, and I have seen that there are .dds icon files in the Portrait Scan download, but I cannot see anything in my games.

Thank you for the cool mods, I also have Kerbnet controller and Basic Orbit installed, and they work perfectly.

@TK421 @KerbMav This would require log files to figure out. And what happens when you select the transfer all results button? It should show up if more than one set of results is open, and it should transfer all of them, but there could be problems.

@AzraelDR Sounds like an install issue, or something is preventing the mod from being loaded. Do you have log files?

Hi DMagic,

I've realised in my case it's probably an interaction with the strategia mod and the strategy I had active, local science, which provides bonus science for Kerbin experiments. Either way, it doesn't appear to be problematic anymore. I get the science transmitted, and can still process in the lab. Perhaps I've just not played in a while and was doing something wrong without realising...like having no scientists in the lab first?

With regards to transfer all, I've got so many experiments and don't always have them all open. It'd be nice if there was an option to 'transfer all (including closed reports)' in addition to the current 'transfer all open'.

I so love your mods

22 minutes ago, AzraelDR said:

@DMagic I don't think I have error log files; I redownloaded KSP on Steam for a fresh install a couple of days ago and have been adding mods one by one, preparing for a new career mode. Is there any way to produce these logs manually?

Just install the mod and start a new game, pick a stock rocket with crew and let it sit on the pad for a minute. :)

38 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Just install the mod and start a new game, pick a stock rocket with crew and let it sit on the pad for a minute. :)

Okay, what will I do after a minute has passed? Will I have to open the debug console and do something? I am sorry if this sounds noobish and ignorant, but I do want to discover why the mod won't load.

13 minutes ago, AzraelDR said:

Okay, what will I do after a minute has passed? Will I have to open the debug console and do something? I am sorry if this sounds noobish and ignorant, but I do want to discover why the mod won't load.

When the error happens again quit the game, take the KSP.log from your main KSP folder and the output.log from KSP_x64_Data or KSP_Data subfolder depending on which version (32 or 64 bit) you are using, upload them on e.g. dropbox or a similar service and post the link here so DMagic can take a look when he has the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5yj1va3wzmsa88w/AACdDChlmPN6ZW1j4j2xPxtaa?dl=0

@DMagic This is not the exact situation, but I uploaded an Atmospheric analysis to KSS Alpha station - the transmission seemingly went through, but the experiment was not "cleared", it was still sitting in the science part on the rover.

Sometimes strange things just happen - but that is KSP for you. :D

And: I found saw the Transmit All Data check button in the transmit popup ... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

When the error happens again quit the game, take the KSP.log from your main KSP folder and the output.log from KSP_x64_Data or KSP_Data subfolder depending on which version (32 or 64 bit) you are using, upload them on e.g. dropbox or a similar service and post the link here so DMagic can take a look when he has the time.

Alright, although there isn't really any error that occurs--I simply cannot see the job icons for the Kerbals in their portraits in the game. I have tried installing, deleting and installing the modlet five times now, and every time, no icon appears. The rank and the tooltip seems to work (they are visible in the Kerbal portraits), but sadly, there is still no job icon. I have uploaded a screenshot of my game with Valentina on an MK1 cockpit at the Launch pad. As you can see, the tooltip seems to work, and her current rank is visible, but there is no icon on the right of the job title and rank. I also included in the screenshot the debug console, and having looked at the rest of it, I could not see any references to Portrait Stats.

Spoiler

pR1JH01.jpg

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

@AzraelDR You said you are using MKS? I think to remember that it adds new/alters professions? Maybe this is the conflict.

There's no conflict between MKS and PortraitStats. In fact PS has code specifically to handle the additional professions. 

@AzraelDR The reason I need to see the log files is not because of any errors, those are unlikely, but to check for installation or initialization problems.

@KerbMav Did you see the little message in upper-left corner about the data being sent to the target vessel? What about a separate message for being submitted to the R&D Center?

It looks like Remote Tech is sending the data to the R&D, which it shouldn't do. From what I can gather, RT is setting all data to be triggered. This is normally reserved for non-standard science transmissions, the resource scan or science lab data transmissions. Instead of sending the data to the R&D where it is processed by checking how much data has already been submitted, calculating the multipliers, etc... it just transmits the data and sends a signal to the source of the transmission that the data has been sent. So for instance, when you transmit data from a stock resource scan it goes through the motions of using the antenna, deploying it, using EC, but once it's finished the data is just thrown away and the stock resource scanner module just tells the game that X amount of science has been submitted. This is how stock science transmission is handled, and this is how RT should be doing it, if they aren't then someone should fix it.

Science Relay takes advantage of this for basically faking a science transmission; the data should be removed from the source part as soon as transmission begins. Then after the transmission goes through the data is actually moved into a science container on the target vessel, only if this fails for some reason will the data be sent back to the source part.

So unless I'm wrong about how RT is working, then Science Relay should be considered incompatible with RT.

Edited by DMagic

2 hours ago, AzraelDR said:

@DMagic I would love to post my log files, but again, I am embarrassed to ask--how can I output log files manually from the game without a game crash? Do I have to do something in the debug console?

The logs are automatically generated whenever you start the game. You don't need to do anything to enable them. This thread tells you where to find the logs:

10 hours ago, DMagic said:

@KerbMav Did you see the little message in upper-left corner about the data being sent to the target vessel? What about a separate message for being submitted to the R&D Center?

It looks like Remote Tech is sending the data to the R&D, which it shouldn't do. From what I can gather, RT is setting all data to be triggered. This is normally reserved for non-standard science transmissions, the resource scan or science lab data transmissions. Instead of sending the data to the R&D where it is processed by checking how much data has already been submitted, calculating the multipliers, etc... it just transmits the data and sends a signal to the source of the transmission that the data has been sent. So for instance, when you transmit data from a stock resource scan it goes through the motions of using the antenna, deploying it, using EC, but once it's finished the data is just thrown away and the stock resource scanner module just tells the game that X amount of science has been submitted. This is how stock science transmission is handled, and this is how RT should be doing it, if they aren't then someone should fix it.

Science Relay takes advantage of this for basically faking a science transmission; the data should be removed from the source part as soon as transmission begins. Then after the transmission goes through the data is actually moved into a science container on the target vessel, only if this fails for some reason will the data be sent back to the source part.

So unless I'm wrong about how RT is working, then Science Relay should be considered incompatible with RT.

I did not pay much attention to the rapidly changing text, but at times it looks like as if one very fast transmission is done and after/during that one slower one - but it changes to fast to tell which experiments when and such.

Maybe I should get started on recording my gaming sessions. :D
(On many occasions in many games I would have liked a "save those last 60 seconds of gameplay video"-button.)