[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

Lots of mods have been updated for KSP 1.3.1.

Portrait Stats, Celestial Body Science Editor, and KerbNet Controller were simply recompiled because it's required that Squad breaks the difficulty settings panel on every update.

EVA Struts and EVA Transfer were updated to fix some minor bugs causing the struts/fuel lines to look broken while a Kerbal is holding them.

Science Relay was recompiled for 1.3.1 and has many new log message printed to the debug log. These concern the number of connected vessels detected when opening the science results window, lots of data about science transmissions and their success or failure, and more error messages.

As for problems with CommNet Constellation, I never saw any crashes. If people continue having problems let me know and I can disable the vessel connection check when the other mod is detected (or try to figure out a better solution).

Flexible Docking and One Window should be fine for KSP 1.3.1

Edited by DMagic

@wile1411 Do you mean like the progress nodes messages ("first orbit", "first launch", "speed record xxxm/s"), the things that show up in the toolbar messages window? 

For the actual progress nodes and whatever reward they give you can use either CapCom or Contracts Window +, both of which monitor and display that information. And since that data is persistent it's not just for the current scene. If other mods use that window to provide data then it wouldn't be picked up, just the stock progress messages.

That information is very different from the screen messages, and while it's probably possible to just intercept it when it gets posted I probably won't go to the trouble of doing it.

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 Do you mean like the progress nodes messages ("first orbit", "first launch", "speed record xxxm/s"), the things that show up in the toolbar messages window? 

For the actual progress nodes and whatever reward they give you can use either CapCom or Contracts Window +, both of which monitor and display that information. And since that data is persistent it's not just for the current scene. If other mods use that window to provide data then it wouldn't be picked up, just the stock progress messages.

That information is very different from the screen messages, and while it's probably possible to just intercept it when it gets posted I probably won't go to the trouble of doing it.

Yes - the messages I was thinking about where indeed those that appear in the same area as the progress nodes / toolbar messages window.

Reason I was asking is that some mods are making use of the messaging system to communicate information eg When contracts complete and Stage RecoveryKerbal HealthUPFM to name a few.

Figured if that method of information display is starting to be used more often, it might be good to get these message re-readable via one-window in case I clear a few too many when reading/clearing them.

No prob if not available, just figured that was another information source that is gone once you've clicked the delete message button..

Separate issue:
For EVAStrut and EVAfuelLine - for both these mods I've always seen the error message when the game loads and had ignored it. Figured I'd see if you know of a way to correct it / know the error existed?

It seems to not be finding the starting 1px image supplied with the mod pack in the folder. I thought I could fix my own KSP install and tried renaming the image, also tried changing the reference in the cfg file and tried replacing with another dummy image in case it doesn't like this one - it was and all to no avail.

[LOG 19:19:20.920] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'EVAStruts/EVAStrut/EVAStrut/EVAstrutline'
[ERR 19:19:20.923] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'model000' to replace

[LOG 19:19:20.941] PartLoader: Part 'EVAStruts/EVAStrut/EVAStrut/EVAstrutline' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 19:19:20.943] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'EVAstrutline'
[LOG 19:19:20.952] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'EVATransfer/EVAFuelLine/EVAFuelLine/EVAfuelLine'
[ERR 19:19:20.954] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'model000' to replace

[LOG 19:19:20.964] PartLoader: Part 'EVATransfer/EVAFuelLine/EVAFuelLine/EVAfuelLine' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 19:19:20.967] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'EVAfuelLine'

The mods come with the required files, so I'm at a loss as to why the error occurs... any ideas?
\GameData\EVATransfer\EVAFuelLine\model000.dds
\GameData\EVAStruts\EVAStrut\model000.dds

Edited by wile1411

On 10/6/2017 at 12:42 PM, DMagic said:

Portrait Stats, Celestial Body Science Editor, and KerbNet Controller were simply recompiled because it's required that Squad breaks the difficulty settings panel on every update.

:D

On 10/6/2017 at 12:42 PM, DMagic said:

EVA Struts and EVA Transfer were updated to fix some minor bugs causing the struts/fuel lines to look broken while a Kerbal is holding them.

I was going to mention that... but you already fixed it. Thank you for the amazingly fast update... and for one of my favorite mods in the first place!

• 3 weeks later...

Question on Portrait Stats - Do the tooltips only show in career games? I was trying to remember what symbol ment what and tried to hover over a portrait icon in a sandbox game and wasn't seeing any tooltip. The settings.cfg file has it enabled:     ExtendedTooltips = True

Edited by wile1411

I updated to 1.3.  Installed the new version of EVA Transfer.  When I try and load my save, it gives me... "Vessel Jules Verne Station was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: EVAfuelline".  There is a file EVAFuelLine.cfg in KSPosx/GameData/EVATransfer/EVAFuelLine.  I tried copying it to the Parts directory (KSPosx/Parts) and no help.  I'm using a MacPowerbook (15% inch, new) with macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

Here is the log file...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqf2imiwzkgvxzu/KSP.log?dl=0

@wile1411 The portrait tooltips are mostly handled by stock KSP, Portrait Stats just adds some information. In sandbox I believe they are turned off by default, enabling G limits, or Kerbal experience (if that is possible) will turn them back on. I can look into forcing them on for sandbox if you the expanded tooltip option turned on.

@davidpsummers As far as I can tell this looks like an odd platform related thing. Can you check the GameData/Squad/Parts/CompoundParts folder to see if the fuel line folder is spelled "FuelLine" or "fuelLine". In Windows it is spelled fuelLine and it looks like the part model sharing feature of KSP is case sensitive, so changing it to "FuelLine" in the part config breaks them. You can change the eva fuel line config file to look in the FuelLine folder instead of fuelLine and it should fix things, it's at the very top of the GameData/EVATransfer/EVAFuelLine/EVAFuelLine.cfg file (also make sure to delete the copy in the KSP/Parts folder, only use the GameData folders):

Change this:

PART
{
	name = EVAfuelLine
	module = CompoundPart
	author = HarvesteR

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/fuelLine/model
		texture = model000, Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/fuelLine/model000 
	}	

To this:

PART
{
	name = EVAfuelLine
	module = CompoundPart
	author = HarvesteR

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/CompoundParts/FuelLine/model
	}	

(the texture part isn't actually needed and doesn't do anything)

I should probably file this as a bug report, since different spelling or case usage could break things for other mods, too.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 The portrait tooltips are mostly handled by stock KSP, Portrait Stats just adds some information. In sandbox I believe they are turned off by default, enabling G limits, or Kerbal experience (if that is possible) will turn them back on. I can look into forcing them on for sandbox if you the expanded tooltip option turned on.

I think you got it in one. I checked my settings of the sandbox game and I indeed didn't have the G-limits turned on. I turned them on and he tooltips showed up. To verify that was the cause, I turned them off and they still appeared. ?? eh, working now - maybe I needed to restart for some reason.

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 You need to restart or reload the scene for the tooltip settings to update. Maybe changing vessels or going into IVA might also do it.

Thanks for that. I feel I've learnt something important :)

Going to space center > vab > launchpad does indeed reset it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @DMagic, I'm wondering if you might have a variant of the Science Relay mod with extra debugging available? I was getting a complete freeze of the game when trying to bring up a science experiment result. In this recent case it was specifically hitting the button "Analyze Data:RADAR" from ScanSats Low Resolution Altimetry scanner. I'm assuming it's not that mod/part causing the crash as I've also has the issue with stock experiments on occasion. Also, by "complete freeze", I mean that KSP stops all movement and the Windows waiting curser just spins waiting for a response from KSP. Interestingly I can move the window (I play in windowed mode) and it's just KSP tht seems stock in an internal/eternal loop somewhere. 

I've manage to get a situation that is repeatable and I've tried to lock down where the conflict is through scouring the logs, but so far nothing sticks out as an issue with everything seemingly normal until I hit that review data button in the right mouse menu button.

The additional wrinkle is that the logs also freeze when the game locks up. I've tried to leave it overnight to see if it resolves itself with a timeout and hard crashes with some information in a log file, but unfortunately it seems to just stay at "stuck" until I terminate through task manager.

For logs, I can grab the ksp.log file in the KSP root directory, but the last entry there is just "Game Unpaused!" from when I was setting the logging to be on-screen. The output_log.txt file in the KSP_x64_Data - that one also has similar information stopping just after "Game Unpaused!"

I was able to avoid the error by uninstalling Science Relay, but would still like to troubleshoot further and was hoping you might have/know something that might give more info?

Edited by wile1411

@wile1411 The latest version has some extra logging whenever the science window is opened and when science is transmitted. But that, or more logging probably wouldn't help much for this problem. I'm pretty sure I already know where the issue is, I just don't know what causes it. 

What would be more helpful is a list of mods required to trigger the error, or confirmation that it can happen with no other mods. It has been suggested that CommNet Constellation triggers these freezes, but I never saw it when I tested. It's possible that something else is causing the problem, or maybe some combination of mods, or something else entirely. Either way it's very strange for any error to just completely freeze KSP.

9 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 The latest version has some extra logging whenever the science window is opened and when science is transmitted. But that, or more logging probably wouldn't help much for this problem. I'm pretty sure I already know where the issue is, I just don't know what causes it. 

What would be more helpful is a list of mods required to trigger the error, or confirmation that it can happen with no other mods. It has been suggested that CommNet Constellation triggers these freezes, but I never saw it when I tested. It's possible that something else is causing the problem, or maybe some combination of mods, or something else entirely. Either way it's very strange for any error to just completely freeze KSP.

I can say it's definitely a combination of mods that cause it. The issue I have to further troubleshoot is that I'm stuck in a heavily modded save that reproduces it. The stupid satellite that I use to cause the crash has a few parts from VenStockRevamp among others, so I'm a bit locked in to what mods I can strip out.

Having said that, I know it freezes with both CommNet constellation & Science Relay installed(plus other mods) and I just now tried to run KSP without either one of those and the issue goes away. It only occurs when I have both Science Relay and CommNet mods in the same save . I know this doesn't discount other mods having an influence, but I can as least confirm your suggestion the CommNet might be more involved in the combination, but can't say more than that without more logging that gets displayed prior to the freeze.

22 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Hi!

DMagic, do you have any idea, why a flexible docking port would be voxelized by FAR into a giant ballute? :confused:

Verifying that I've seen this same behavior between Flexible Docking Ports and FAR. In my case, it made a pretty pretty voxel fountain. Been happening since at least 1.1.3...

On 11/15/2017 at 10:35 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

If you can reproduce it reliably, then send the save along with a list of all mods you have installed to @DMagic. Soeaking as a developer, that would be enormously helpful to him

Thanks @linuxgurugamer and normally I would of done exactly that. While it would be great to supply it (in theory), I'm assuming @DMagic probably doesn't have the time / would rather not install 128 mods to test this one issue. (It's usually a safe assumption, but let me know otherwise)

I do have the issue reproduceable in a save, so I do have that going for me. This week I was trying to pull individual mods out to see what stop the problem= but no luck. I tried just with teh minimum amount of mods and found the issue went away, but then, so did a number of vessels that couldn't be loaded due to missing parts.

Having said that, @TaxiService did give me one great pointer to specifically check any mods that change antennas and see if that might help narrow down the suspects. I've got three suspects of  VensStockRevamp, AIES, and the AIES antennta rebalance

There might be others in that pile of mods, but I'll check the modules of these three mods first and compare them to stock and see if anything looks different. That will be done Saturday. 

@Psycho_zs @capi3101 I've seen the problem mentioned before and I imagine it has to with some of the oddities of how the flexible docking port models are constructed (they use some very complex rigging and animating), but it's not something I'm likely to do anything to fix. Those flexible docking port models are a nightmare of complexity, and making any changes to them is not really worth the problem just to support another mod. If there is some way to just disable FAR for a specific part that would be great, but otherwise there isn't much to be done.

@wile1411 If you have a repeatable situation can you try disabling CommNet from the settings menu and seeing if the error still occurs? My assumption has always been that the problem is in some of the methods used to determine which vessels are connected, so if you turn off CommNet it just allows transmission to any vessel with a science container. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:32 AM, DMagic said:

@wile1411 If you have a repeatable situation can you try disabling CommNet from the settings menu and seeing if the error still occurs? My assumption has always been that the problem is in some of the methods used to determine which vessels are connected, so if you turn off CommNet it just allows transmission to any vessel with a science container. 

I reconfirmed the issue was repeatable and reloaded the game, disabled CommNet and tried the science experiment and all was fine. The console log gave the notice: [Science Relay] Connect vessels detected for science transmission: 0
(I did this twice to confirm)

Save notes: I'm early in the career and have only satellites in orbit at the moment - so the 0 was expected as I have no labs or Kerbals in space at that moment.

Once that was done, I re-enabled CommNet and tried the experiment again and got the freeze immediately. Let me know what else I can test for you :)

Edited by wile1411

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 Can you try it with the "Require Relay" option enabled for Science Relay? You can try some of the other settings, too, but I think the relay requirement is the only thing that will matter.

I have many of the same mods installed and have been having the same crashing issue when trying to collect science. Turning off comm net fixes the problem and I can collect all the science I want. So though I would love to leave that on its really nice to have a work around for this problem. I also tried the Require Relay option you suggested with the other two options on, they were already on. At first I thought that had fixed the issue as normally I can only collect one or two experiments before I get the crash but this time I was able to collect about 10 in total when it crashed again in the exact same way as usual. Checked this twice with the same results. Turning off Require Relay just makes its so I can only collect one or two experiments again before crashing. Is there anything else I can try to help figure this out?