[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

I've never been able to replicate any of the problems related to Science Relay crashing with other mods. It seems to be related to mods that do something with CommNet, but it always works fine when I try it, even when I've tried with all of the mods people who experience the bug are using. Since I can't get any replicatable group of mods or situation to cause the crashes I can't mark it as incompatible with certain mods.

So my only suggestion is that if Science Relay is causing crashes then don't use it.

And no, to my knowledge none of the science management mods are related (ForScience and Automated Science something, might have been related at one point, but I think they have diverged quite a bit). That isn't related to this problem anyway, which is about freezing and crashing, not momentary hiccups.

Just an FYI, last night I did a stream where I compared all the science management mods.  The tests were done on 1.4.3, and all the mods were installed using CKAN, and listed as 1.4.3 compatible.

I found that two of them generated nullrefs and were not working:

The offenders were:

• ForScience
  • AutomatedScienceSampler

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hi,

Just let you know that the interactions between ScienceRelay 5.1 and CNC 1.2.1 on KSP 1.4.3 are so far pretty normal. No NullReferenceException spam or whatever when transmitting some science along control path of 2 or 3 vessels to KCS.

Since KSP maintains the singular instance of CommNet at all time, any CommNet-based mod will inevitably supply its own CommNet derivative to KSP. When two or more CommNet-based mods are installed, one mod may take over one CommNet component but another mod take another depending CommNet component. Such unstable dependency may arise to endless cycles on non-existent or wrong objects at either mod.

At least from my experience on CommNet development.

@TaxiService That's what I've seen, too. Every time I test it with CNC (or any other mod someone reports a conflict with) it works fine. I'm sure that there is something about the way Science Relay is calling some of the CommNet methods that causes errors somewhere. But people can always just turn off the connection check in the settings menu to bypass any vessel connection restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...

Im using Science Relay

The problema is that i prove in versions 1.4.1 1.4.2 1.4.3 and 1.4.4,i also try with different versions of the mod but nothing happen, the button to transfer experiments dont appear

• 3 months later...

I can't seem to get the button to appear for Science Relay. I've started a new testing career and set up a few test vehicles to transmit data between each-other but no combination of science modules or antenna seems to work. Am I missing something?

Vehicle Image: FKcf6vZ.jpg

Edited by NickelBomber
Attached picture

8 hours ago, NickelBomber said:

I can't seem to get the button to appear for Science Relay. I've started a new testing career and set up a few test vehicles to transmit data between each-other but no combination of science modules or antenna seems to work. Am I missing something?

I didn't realize the antennas had to be extended for this to work, everything works when both vehicles extend antennas. Sorry for the trouble!

@NickelBomber The connection system mostly works off of the stock CommNet system, I didn't think the antennas needed to be extended either, but I've never really looked into that. So anything that is connected in that system should also work for Science Relay. It also models direct connections between vessels that don't have a relay antenna. 

But I imagine there might some weird behavior specifically for this kind of setup, where you are very close together and on Kerbin. Maybe the system is getting confused somehow, or doesn't think the vessels would be able to connect for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

@Drew Kerman There is a button to dump the current contents to the log file:

On 5/10/2015 at 9:21 PM, DMagic said:

The fifth icon is used to toggle the settings menu, shown along the bottom of the window. This menu has three functions:

• A button to print all of the currently displayed messages to the log file

Any kind of automatic logging is probably not going to happen, or logging to a separate file.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:51 AM, NickelBomber said:

Can I say how much I love your test rovers? Utilitarian AF.

Hello, DMagic. As I´ve read on this topic, a few issues may´ve happened regarding Science Relay, and here´s my report about it, running with other mods on 1.5.x. , Windows10 64Bit.
Hope that come to any use. :cool: 

::::::::::::

I´ve been playing using these mods on the "Modlets" page, and they´re pretty cool! They really make things a lot easier.
But, I don´t know if any other player has had a problem with 'Science Relay' yet, but it seems to be locking the game, and I have to close and reload. So, if you haven´t received any complains about it so far, my description lies bellow.

Thank you!

Spoiler

The game has locked several (at least seven or eight rebooting/reloading times in a row) when I attempted to perform some science, AFTER I´ve installed those Modlets´page ones, and then I managed to isolate which one of them was causing the problem.
-WHAT happened: the game locks. Simple as that;
-DID it work at least once?
--Yes. I´ve used it a LOT, and it everything worked properly, except a few times the problems bellow happened;
-WHEN it happened:
--when I clicked one of the action buttons to perform several experiments at the same time;
-WHICH experiments:
--I decided to remove any other DMagic stuff to see if they were the problem, but it happened also when using only the stock ones:
---In this case: Gravmax, Two-hot thermometer, Barometer, Atmosphere and Seismographer.
-WHICH scenario:
--First, I´ve thought it was only after the vessel entered the atmosphere, and also it seemed to me it was due to the camera cicling/changing, but the it happened also when in low space ambients;
--I also tried in diferent celestial bodies, including those I had already did the same procedures before the mod, and it happened on those as well;
--Recently, I´m playing almost exclusively thru "The World Beyond" planets pack, and I was about to report to them initially, but when I attempted to make as said the line above, I realized it wasn´t a 'TWB'´s bug;
-SOLVED problem?
--Yes and No: it has no longer happened after I deleted the Science Relay from GameData folder;
-CONSOLE and/or debugging?
--Yes and no. Though I´ve attivated all the debugging options on the AltF12, nor the console shows anything special (I think), nor any crash/log file is created. I will paste bellow the last lines recorded in some situations, but I don´t think they are of much use.
--I was wondering if maybe it could happen just after the time your mod recognizes how many vessels are able to receive the transmited science?
--As the @$#%¨*&¨¨$%¨Windows10 seems to not be able to switch tasks while the main on is locked, I couldn´t see if any other temporary error file is was created before the KSP locks/closes.

Some screens showing the the messages prior to the lock/crash. A few coincidences, but I believe none of them have a part on the problem.
Sci-Relay-Bugs-1.png Sci-Relay-Bugs-2.png Sci-Relay-Bugs-3.png Sci-Relay-Bugs-4.png

Game-Data-SCN.png

..::

Again, the mod is GREAT and did work quite all right. I´d love to try and test/investigate it a little further, but I have removed it for now - not only because I´m playing a science mode, but mostly ´cause the current installed mods I have cause the computer_+_game to take more than TEN minutes to reboot and reload (after a crash or just to wipe out the memory usage).

Edited by Cataclism

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that the recoveredData value in Celestial Body Science Editor is also used as a multiplier when determining kerbal XP? 

So if I wanted to increase that amount of XP that kerbals get for planting a flag on the Mun but reduce the xp for orbiting the Sun, I could increase the recoveredData value for the Mun and decrease the recoveredData value for the Sun. 

This is just a hunch based on the body multipliers for science and XP listed in the wiki.

4 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Curveball Anders The distance at which the buttons will show up in the right-click menu for the strut/fuel line? No, that seems to be hard coded, though I could fairly easily add in such a feature, just a few more lines available in the part config file.

TY DMagic Sensei.

(I actually downloaded and peeked in the code, but didn't find the obvious bit (I'm a total n00b in C#), I might hack it myself, for practice ;) )

Edited by Curveball Anders

It's the 'unfocusedRange = 4' bit of this line and the others like it for KSPEvents:

https://github.com/DMagic1/KSP_EVA_Struts/blob/master/Source/ModuleEVAStrut.cs#L333

That's the distance, in meters, that you have to be within for the button to show up. I believe that refers to the distance from the part origin, so for the struts/fuel lines that means the little nub where the part starts. It can be changed easily, but it is also pretty simple to adjust them based on config values.

This line shows altering one of these values:

https://github.com/DMagic1/KSP_EVA_Struts/blob/master/Source/ModuleEVAStrut.cs#L386

Edited by DMagic

• 3 weeks later...

New modlet available: Making Less History. Get it on Space Dock.

This mod prevents KSP from loading all of the Mission Builder components of Making History, allowing for shorter load times and less memory usage in-game. Check the 1st post for details, but it is a very simple and fully reversible way of saving a little bit of time (15-30s) during loading and a little bit of memory usage (~250-300MB) in-game.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

New modlet available: Making Less History. Get it on Space Dock.

This mod prevents KSP from loading all of the Mission Builder components of Making History, allowing for shorter load times and less memory usage in-game. Check the 1st post for details, but it is a very simple and fully reversible way of saving a little bit of time (15-30s) during loading and a little bit of memory usage (~250-300MB) in-game.

Thanks for another mod I didn't even know I needed til you made it!

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

This mod prevents KSP from loading all of the Mission Builder components of Making History, allowing for shorter load times and less memory usage in-game. Check the 1st post for details, but it is a very simple and fully reversible way of saving a little bit of time (15-30s) during loading and a little bit of memory usage (~250-300MB) in-game

3 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

Thanks for another mod I didn't even know I needed til you made it!

Thank the [mod] maker!

I simply didn't think it was possible.  I feel ashamed.

Thank you @DMagic.

Peace.