[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

@DMagic

So I successfully undocked and redocked with the Flex-O-Port (might I recommend a rebranding to either Flex-O-Port or Flex-A-Port?) and everything worked out well. I also made a little patch (probably premature), see below. Also, free "pics4clicks" pics.

Some suggestions:

• CLS Support (see patch)
  • Magnets cost EC/s
  • Option to deploy Flexo in the Editor, not just in flight
  • bulkheadprofiles include "srf" (see patch)
  • tags (see patch)

@PART[dmFlexoTube]:NEEDS[FlexoTubes]
{
  %bulkheadProfiles = size1, srf
  stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_VERT
  tags = berth capture connect couple dock fasten join moor socket flex extend
}

@PART[dmFlexoTubeJr]:NEEDS[FlexoTubes]
{
  %bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf
  stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_VERT
  tags = berth capture connect couple dock fasten join moor socket flex extend
}

//-----------------------CONNECTED LIVING SPACES---------------------------//
@PART[dmFlexoTube]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:BEFORE[ConnectedLivingSpace]
{
  MODULE
  {
  	name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
  	passable = true
  	passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
  }
}

pics4clicks (Jr off to the side with the Regular size in the middle, one extended and one retracted):

Spoiler

vpI6nas.png?1

Edited by Deimos Rast

@Deimos Rast An oversized strut is another method for making flexible docking ports. It works using KAS, but obviously requires a Kerbal to move it around. An automated version of that would also be possible, but I don't really like the way that looks, it's just a single straight component. I also like having fairly strict limits on how much the port can move.

Thanks for the config file parameters. The current versions are more or less place holders, so I'll add all of that information, along with proper names, manufacturer, tech tree positions, cost, and descriptions.

Does CLS set the Jr as passable? It seems like it should be too small to allow a Kerbal.

Extending the ports in the editor might not work. I would need to either move or disable the top attachment node, and I'm not sure how well that will work.

Using EC while the port is acquiring in the extended mode can be added.

Edited by DMagic

13 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Deimos Rast An oversized strut is another method for making flexible docking ports. It works using KAS, but obviously requires a Kerbal to move it around. An automated version of that would also be possible, but I don't really like the way that looks, it's just a single straight component. I also like having fairly strict limits on how much the port can move.

Thanks for the config file parameters. The current versions are more or less place holders, so I'll add all of that information, along with proper names, manufacturer, tech tree positions, cost, and descriptions.

Does CLS set the Jr as passable? It seems like it should be too small to allow a Kerbal.

Extending the ports in the editor might not work. I would need to either move or disable the top attachment node, and I'm not sure how well that will work.

Using EC while the port is acquiring in the extended mode can be added.

Derp, yeah, made the Jr passable, my bad. It shouldn't be, you're correct. I'll edit that right about now.

Version 0.4 of Flexible Docking is out; try it from GitHub.

It adds the 2.5m flexible docking port that matches the stock Clampo Tron Sr. It also uses the Sr and standard stock texture assets, so make sure you don't delete those.

It adds a better fix for the non-dominant docking problem. This allows for the docking ports to engage from a longer distance. I also added in the srf attach bulkhead profiles and search tags. 

If nothing else needs fixing I'll work on finalizing the part configs (I'm thinking I'll put each in the tech node position directly after their standard counterpart), and cleaning up some of the texture maps on the parts. The final release should be out relatively soon.

The final release version of Flexible Docking is out; get it on Space Dock.

Anyone upgrading from previous version needs to completely remove those installations, as the folder name has changed.

A few texture and model fixes are included in this version, along with finalized part configs with tech tree positions, cost, mass, attachment node positions, agency, title, and descriptions. A MM config is included with CLS support and stock docking port contract requests.

A .version file is also included for KSP-AVC support. CKAN support is forthcoming.

Also, @vardicd, I used your video in the first post since it demonstrates how they work and what they do.

Edited by DMagic

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

Also, @vardicd, I used your video in the first post since it demonstrates how they work and what they do.

That is amazing, no I wish I'd done a bit better job on that. Some music, explanation, something, not just a silent video. Still cool! :D 

I don't think I mentioned it in the config files, but the Max Translation and Max Rotation values cannot be changed. The only thing that can really be adjusted are the active magnetic values (and the standard magnetic values, which are set to their default values of 2, and so use "hidden" config file fields: acquireForce and acquireTorque).

Of course, all of the standard fields (tech tree nodes, cost, mass, etc...) can be adjusted.

Would it be possible to allow it to attach to a tangential docking port i.e. one sitting at 90 degrees to it?  I don't seem to be able to get this to happen!

Alternatively could you allow the flexible tube to flex once dock so the IR could pull the dock sections around to that 90 degrees?

Thanks for the mod.  Great work!

Peace.

@theJesuit Do you mean rotating the docking port head by 90o? No. That would severely distort the geometry of the flexible section; segments would be clipping through other segments.

But I did just think of a change that might allow for significantly more rotation, up to maybe 30-45o. It should work for the model, but I'll have to check to make sure the math still works for actually positioning the port.

Hi @DMagic I can not deploy the port, getting this NRE in a stock installation

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlexoTubes.FlexoTube.extensionAnimator (Single speed, Single time) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FlexoTubes.FlexoTube.Deploy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIPartActionButton.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Logs, craft and saves:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06568387714552687193

Version 2.0 of Flexible Docking is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes a problem with the Jr. docking port's deploy animation and uses the proper max rotation value from each part's config file.

Edited by DMagic

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

@theJesuit Do you mean rotating the docking port head by 90o? No. That would severely distort the geometry of the flexible section; segments would be clipping through other segments.

But I did just think of a change that might allow for significantly more rotation, up to maybe 30-45o. It should work for the model, but I'll have to check to make sure the math still works for actually positioning the port.

I did mean the 90° but i understand the difficulties.  The 30 to 45 would be great :).

Would you be keen to create another port that has the docking port already facing the tangent at 90°?  I'll put that in as a request!

Really appreciate your work.  Thanks.

Peace . 

On Portrait Stats - would it be possible to add a line that shows the location of each Kerbal when on a station with multiple occupation modules? I honestly not sure it wouldn't clutter up the pic too much, maybe a line across the top? This is the number one thing I'm always trying to determine right now related to my kerbalnauts.

Great work, by the way...Orbital Science is a must-have mod for my games.

2 hours ago, tjt said:

On Portrait Stats - would it be possible to add a line that shows the location of each Kerbal when on a station with multiple occupation modules? I honestly not sure it wouldn't clutter up the pic too much, maybe a line across the top? This is the number one thing I'm always trying to determine right now related to my kerbalnauts.

Great work, by the way...Orbital Science is a must-have mod for my games.

Seconded.  It would be nice shuffling Kerbals on tourist buses that are doing rescues also.

BTW, rescue Kerbals don't seem to have a working portrait.

@Loren Pechtel What do you mean about rescue Kerbals not having portraits? They seem to be working fine for me. As soon as I get within loading distance of the spawned vessel I can switch over and see the portrait just fine, both on stock and with Protrait Stats.

20 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Loren Pechtel What do you mean about rescue Kerbals not having portraits? They seem to be working fine for me. As soon as I get within loading distance of the spawned vessel I can switch over and see the portrait just fine, both on stock and with Protrait Stats.

I don't know what changed but they do now.  Before, the capsule the Kerbal was in would just show black.

Portrait Stats version 10.0 is out; get it on Space Dock (it's also available shortly on Curse Forge, which it wasn't before for some reason).

It adds the part title that each Kerbal resides in to the trait icon (or title) tooltip, and adds a part highlighting function when hovering over the portrait (thanks for the suggestion @tjt). The highlight color will match the icon color; both the colors and the highlight function can be adjusted in the settings file (hoverHighlight; set to true by default). See pictures a few posts up for examples.

The highlight function can interact in weird ways with other highlighting functions in some cases (crew transfer for instance), but resetting the other highlight function always seems to clear up any problems.

Edited by DMagic

On 7/14/2016 at 7:29 AM, DMagic said:

How about this:

LoPyijb.png

Or this:

YeOgQ7g.png

Or both?

I'll have to look into the rescue Kerbal problem.

these are great! I think both would be valuable TBH. When you have a large ship seeing it glow is a nice visual and the extra data is cool too..Thanks!