[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

On 7/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, DMagic said:

@Loren Pechtel What do you mean about rescue Kerbals not having portraits? They seem to be working fine for me. As soon as I get within loading distance of the spawned vessel I can switch over and see the portrait just fine, both on stock and with Protrait Stats.

It just happened again.

Missing%20Portrait.PNG

I can't think of anything different other than I used Tweakscale on the engine that's pushing my bird--but that's something I have never done before when I saw it so I doubt it's the trigger.  After I got Jovie on board I see a normal portrait.

I was getting a bug last night with Portrait Stats. my command pod would keep glowing even when I wasn't hovering one of the portraits and if I EVA'd a Kerbal they would appear translucent when they were between the camera and the glowing pod

XqzbNOu.png

Edited by tjt

Yes, I just reloaded, went to my ship and EVA'd my engineer. You can see the part is still highlighted and the engineer is translucent.

ll6ZdQc.jpg

Additional note on behavior...when I first hit EVA on the Portrait Stat, the part doesn't glow. the first time I mouse over the part, it starts glowing and then the glow is persistent even if I'm no longer mousing over it. Furthermore, after I Board again, the part continues to glow until I mouse over the portrait of that kerbal

linked are the images and here's the full sequence I can reproduce

• Normal view
  • Hover over portrait stat (part glows)
  • click EVA - kerbal is normal
  • mouse over part - part glows bright, kerbal goes translucent
  • move mouse away from part - part still glows, kerbal still translucent
  • Board ship - part continues to glow
  • Mouse over any portrait - part changes glow to match color for that portrait
  • mouse way from portrait - everything goes back to normal

http://imgur.com/a/CXtEj

20 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It just happened again.

Missing%20Portrait.PNG

I can't think of anything different other than I used Tweakscale on the engine that's pushing my bird--but that's something I have never done before when I saw it so I doubt it's the trigger.  After I got Jovie on board I see a normal portrait.

Followup:  Next tourist bus, scooping up another Kerbal, this time around the Mun.  Same thing--no image.  I EVAed the Kerbal and the Kracken blew up the Kerbal & capsule.  I reloaded (to the point I entered Mun orbit), chased down the Kerbal again, again no portrait but this time no Kracken, either.  Nothing of interest in Alt-F12 during that part of the mission.

@Loren Pechtel Does this happen without Portrait Stats? Do you have log files?

When you first switch to the rescue vessel does the portrait show the static first, then go black, or is it just black?

I'm also wondering what happens if you change some of the Portrait Stats settings, try setting the showAlways to false, or disabling both tooltips (in the Settings.cfg file).

I'm not sure why this would be happening. Portrait Stats just adds a few things to the portrait object after it is finished loading. The only thing I can think of is that there might not be enough of a delay before Portrait Stats starts accessing the portraits. I can try increasing that value (and maybe making it configurable) if the problem persists.

19 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Loren Pechtel Does this happen without Portrait Stats? Do you have log files?

When you first switch to the rescue vessel does the portrait show the static first, then go black, or is it just black?

I'm also wondering what happens if you change some of the Portrait Stats settings, try setting the showAlways to false, or disabling both tooltips (in the Settings.cfg file).

I'm not sure why this would be happening. Portrait Stats just adds a few things to the portrait object after it is finished loading. The only thing I can think of is that there might not be enough of a delay before Portrait Stats starts accessing the portraits. I can try increasing that value (and maybe making it configurable) if the problem persists.

I didn't pull the big log file, it's a royal pain to find anything in.  It should be in the current one, though, as soon as this bus gets through the fire I'll have a look.

The portrait always goes to static for a few seconds after you switch to the rescue craft, I've never noticed an image appear and blank but neither have I been watching for that.  It's only upon switching to a Kerbal I'm rescuing that this happens and it's not every time.

Oh, well, came down on a mountain peak, I had to reload.  I have the log and I see the initial explosion was due to the Kracken drive rather than a clipping problem.  He was boosted by 1090m/s from no apparent cause and immediately smacked the capsule.

After the reload I find that ShipManifest is throwing exceptions.  I've taken to transferring science via EVA so I don't have much use for it anymore, removed.

Next I find something that looks very, very suspicious:

FF: EventObserver:: OnVesselChange Wilrim's Debris

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Releasing render texture that is set to be RenderTexture.active!

(Filename:  Line: 514)

RenderTexture warning: Destroying active render texture. Switching to main context.

The only craft we normally fly that are anything like as small as a rescue craft is re-entry in the early game--this smells like there might be a timing issue.

I've got a fairly beefy machine, gobs of ram but my video is a pretty good card as of 5 years ago.

Portrait Stat version 11.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes an error with part highlighting when a Kerbal goes on EVA.

@Loren Pechtel This may not be a Portrait Stats issue. Since those icons show up against the black background it looks like everything is getting setup properly (the star icons are from stock KSP, they are just made to show all of the time here). I'll see about getting a version with adjustable delay timing if this problem continues.

• 3 weeks later...

For Celestial Body Science Editor - it looks like the default values are generally higher than stock. I see that the relative values of some planets have been kicked up, but since the numbers in most places increased, I'm concerned about getting too much science too quickly. Is there a recommended Science % modifier for Career saves to keep it balanced?

Hi ! I was amazed that "wiggly" ports could event exist. To me, these are the holy grail for anyone trying to do resource transfers on surface.

Prior to this (a looong time actually) i was experimenting with KAS winches and ports (yes i know those were a big no-no, but there weren't any alternatives at the time).

I have an issue with vertically aligned ports on SPH runway launch:

- built a simple rover out of stock parts, added down-facing flex port jr

-launched it on runway

-watch phantom forces immediately make it rotate crazy

Same for upward facing port. Only when in horizontal orientation it works.

I tried to flip rover so that port faces down to ground and similar behavior repeated.

This is with modded instal. I'll try later with clean KSP too.

Small update : for testing purposes only

-added single IR rotatron and a small girder with flex port jr.

-launched in horizontal position

-nothing happened

I then tried to :

-attach port again without rotatron and facing down

-noticed everything went well until i gave rover command to turn, then madness started again

One more test :

-same rover as before

-added IR rotatron, small girder and flex port jr. starting position facing down.

-launch on SPH runway

-add small forward velocity

-begin rover turn

-noted loss of control, uncontrolled rotation in horizontal plane

-begin turn of IR rotatron, port now turning parallel to ground

-port started to rotate like crazy inside girder

-after rotation neared horizontal plane, port started to wobble like compass needle, then stabilized

-control over rover regained

Last test gave a glimpse of what might have gone wrong. It looks like some kind of IK solver was confused by having all port's joints line up right below it's up-vector (used to resolve positions etc, don't ask how it works), causing flex port to rotate around that axis without successfully finding a stable position. I wouldn't recognize this without learning about IK's for my animation/rigging of part models tests for KSP.

I've seen a few tutorials that show how to fix up-vector item/object to one of points, far enough so none of them ever cross over up-axis, and the whole rig follows IK target without flipping over.

Hope this helps.

Edited by fatcargo

@fatcargo Do you have FAR installed when any of this happens? That caused problems in the past, though I thought I had fixed that.

I've always heard that IR can have problems when attaching docking ports to movable parts, so that might be causing some issues.

Do you have a craft file, or pictures of the stock rover that was having problems? I can try to replicate the issue.

@tjt I'll see about updating the default values. It's possible that those have been changed since I last checked.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic

How to say it ... I had a rover, i had replicable bugs... And then i overwritten it. All bugs just dissappeared with it. Dang it ... I'm sorry.

GOT IT! Here is link to test rover .

Idea is to have port alignement parallel to ground. My personal preference is maneuvering a rover or mobile rig for transfers with vertical ports. The craft provided has stock port jr at front and flex port jr at back in elevated position.

With 2 rovers, a vertical port alingment demonstration can be performed.

Oh one more idea : can you add make flex port stop extending when it reaches other port and begins connecting ?

This way, if ports are aligned vertically, port won't try to lift up craft by extending full length even after connecting.

Edited by fatcargo

@fatcargo Hmm. It's stable for me. It pulls a little to the left when driving, but only a little.

As for stopping the extension, not likely. The extension/retraction is completely separate from the translation and rotation movements. All of the different movements are controlled through animations, and the translation and rotation movements require a fully extended model.

• 1 month later...

A new Modlet is available in preview form: KerbNet Controller; get it on GitHub.

This is for KSP 1.2.1509 and should only be used for testing or preview purposes. All aspects are subject to change.

The mod adds a toolbar button that opens KerbNet. It scans the vessel and assigns the appropriate KerbNet settings based on which scanners are found on-board.

A number of settings are available in the in-game settings menu under the "DMagic Mods" tab. See the first post for more details.

v9XHK21.png

• 4 weeks later...

All the updates are out (that's right, all 8 of them... :sticktongue:); get them on Space Dock.

Updates for the modlets and several new modlets are now available.

EVA Transfer and EVA Struts have been updated and now work with Kerbal Experience Effects, rather than trait types. The default skill is "RepairSkill", in both mods this is specified in the part config file under the field "useSkill". You can delete the field to not require any skill, or replace the value with any of the skills available in stock KSP; most of these can be found in the GameData/Squad/Experience/Traits.cfg file under the EFFECT nodes. I believe Repair Skill is given to all Kerbals in sandbox and maybe science mode.

A bug in EVA Struts that could have prevented struts from detaching or loading correctly when attaching two identical vehicles together has been fixed. And EVA Transfer tubes will disconnect if they are attached when two vessels dock together.

Flexible Docking Ports has been updated; it natively supports recognizing the ports for contract objectives (without MM) and the ports are moved to the Coupling editor category.

Portrait Stats, Celestial Body Science Editor, KerbNet Controller, and the new addon Science Relay all use the new stock Settings window. These can be found in the DMagic Mods (or DMagic Mods (2)) tab in the Difficulty Settings popup. Most aren't strictly related to difficulty and so allow for saving the values set in-game to a file on disk. This can be accomplished by setting the desired values, then checking the "Use As Default" toggle. After applying the settings these values will be saved to disk and will be used as the defaults for all new games.

NOYq9Yg.png

Portrait Stats can now show a Crew Transfer button when there is space available in the current vessel, selecting it will open the stock Crew Transfer popup. The old tooltips have been removed, but a new option is available to add additional information to the stock tooltips. This includes the Kerbal stats (stupidity, courage, baddassery, veteranness), the name of current part, the current amount of experience and the amount required for the next level, the current flight log, and an itinerary for tourists.

iFi6K5k.png k7gruZ0.png 5VuMRFO.png

KerbNet Controller has been updated since the pre-release with two new features, a toggle to switch the map orientation and a UI Scale slider, both of these are only available in KerbNet windows opened from the toolbar.

The Settings window for Celestial Body Science Editor has been replaced with the stock settings window, but it otherwise functions the same as before.

The two new modlets are Science Relay and Basic Orbit.

Basic Orbit is a kind of simplified version of Engineer; it displays the information that is generally available in stock KSP, or that stock KSP asks for (satellite contract orbit parameters for instance), but might not always be readily available. It puts this information into two HUD panels, one for Orbit info and one for Current Target info.

mcFcyxD.png    GPDX9C2.png

These panels can be customized and moved anywhere around the screen. The Toolbar button opens a settings window that allows for customizing the panels, settings their background transparency, dragging the panels, and setting the UI scale.

xpDuqAz.png  x5Ol6nE.png  KektOCv.png

All of the available readout modules can be toggled. Under the standard settings the readout modules are displayed or hidden based on your current situation and the need for each readout. For instance, orbital parameters don't really mean anything when you are landed, and terrain height or radar altitude are not so important in orbit. The target panel modules are displayed dependent on the type of target, celestial body or vessel. Some of the information is taken directly from the map view markers, and so can only be updated when the map is open. When the map is open the target panel will attempt to show the last known values for these readout modules (the closest approach distance and relative velocity at closest approach).

This mod is also meant to serve as an example and tutorial (which is forthcoming) for using the Unity 4.6 UI. It is built entirely with that system and uses none of the old OnGUI.

Science Relay is a new addon that allows for the transmission of science data between two vessels. A new button has been added to the stock experiment results window that will open a popup with all vessels in contact with the current vessel (or all vessels if you aren't using CommNet).

VZ5AeZc.png   nJGbv6m.png

For experiments with less than 100% data transmission a comm boost value will be calculated for each potential target vessel, this won't necessarily match the value shown in the stock window, which is for transmission to Kerbin. Also, this addon allows for direct communication between two vessels without relay antennas, something that stock KSP does not model to my knowledge. This means that the connections available won't match those shown in the map view; anything in direct contact with the current vessel, or any vessel connected to the current vessel through relays is a potential receiver. 

The amount of data transmitted will be reduced to the transmission percentage level, so an experiment with 10 Data, such as the Goo experiment shown above, will only transmit 10 * transmission %, so 4.2 Data to the vessels in the list above. Once the data is received its transmission level is set to 100%, so if you want to transmit the data again or send it to the KSC you will get the proper value (52.9 science points for the Goo from Laythe).

There are options in the difficulty menu that allow for requiring a science lab (only stock science lab modules count) for transmission (otherwise only a ModuleScienceContainer is required), or just for the transmission boost. You can also turn off the transmission boost, or adjust its value down. Let me know if there are any errors in transmitting or receiving data, or if vessels show up in the connections list when you don't think they should.

Thanks for the new toys! Have special plans for the flexible docking ports.

FYI: the Github flexible docking port and Kerbnet links are broken - for anyone else running into this just trim the URL back to releases and they work.