[1.1.2] Take Command - Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats [v1.4.1 - May 6, 2016]

seanmcdougall

One of the most useful mods lately, specially if you like to build (and test) lots of rovers, really really useful, should be stock actually

Hmm... good question. I'm honestly not sure - I'll have to run some tests and report back. It would be pretty unusual though to have progressed far enough in career mode that you've unlocked the external command seat yet haven't upgraded the astronaut complex to allow EVAs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had the same idea. I wanted to build low-weight capsule for space tourists and made one with a probe core and 4 chairs and hid it behind a heat shield and some fairings. Being a decent sort of alien overlord, I commanded some astronaut engineers to test it out first. They all exploded and died due to re-entry heat. I guess it still treats them as EVA or whatever since the vessel itself was unharmed.

• 4 weeks later...
Only problem with this is that the game sees it as a a command pod, so you can get rescue missions with a Kerbal sitting in a chair in space!

Really? Now there's a situation I hadn't considered :) Are you still able to complete the mission, or does it mess things up?

Can still complete the mission. You can simply select EVA as normal and board the rescue craft. Just looks kinda funny having a Kerbal sitting on a chair in space. :)

Can still complete the mission. You can simply select EVA as normal and board the rescue craft. Just looks kinda funny having a Kerbal sitting on a chair in space. :)

Cool... in that case I declare this to be a feature, not a bug :D

• 3 weeks later...

One thing i just experienced. I had this rover which contained a regular Mk2 command pod on the front, but a pickup-bed type area with two command chairs. The two command chairs did not seat the kerbals properly. Instead, when the rover spawned, the command chairs were "containing" the kerbals within the generic IVA you stuck on them. I had to EVA them manually and set them on the chairs. It did leave to an awesome kerbal ejection though when I seated a kerbal on a chair that was containing another kerbal, then hit EVA on that kerbal.

UPDATE: Okay, so now it seems that it's actually not working at all. Huh.

Edited by Gaalidas

One thing i just experienced. I had this rover which contained a regular Mk2 command pod on the front, but a pickup-bed type area with two command chairs. The two command chairs did not seat the kerbals properly. Instead, when the rover spawned, the command chairs were "containing" the kerbals within the generic IVA you stuck on them. I had to EVA them manually and set them on the chairs. It did leave to an awesome kerbal ejection though when I seated a kerbal on a chair that was containing another kerbal, then hit EVA on that kerbal.

UPDATE: Okay, so now it seems that it's actually not working at all. Huh.

The next time it messes up, please grab a copy of your KSP_Data/output_log.txt file from within your KSP installation directory and PM it to me so I can take a look. Similar problems in earlier versions ended up being due to conflicts with other mods, so I'll fix it if I can.

It would be nice to also add a method to name the various command seats, if possible, so we could place specific kerbals in specific seats when using the crew selection view

- - - Updated - - -

I've discovered a conflict with Action Groups Extended. When it is installed, it will short circuit Take Command somehow and prevent it from taking the kerbals out of the IVA and placing them in the command seat(s), so they will remain within the generic IVA. So this is only an issue when first launching a vessel.

Edited by Gaiiden

It would be nice to also add a method to name the various command seats, if possible, so we could place specific kerbals in specific seats when using the crew selection view

- - - Updated - - -

I've discovered a conflict with Action Groups Extended. When it is installed, it will short circuit Take Command somehow and prevent it from taking the kerbals out of the IVA and placing them in the command seat(s), so they will remain within the generic IVA. So this is only an issue when first launching a vessel.

OMG thank you! I have had this issue this the mod came out. I couldn't figure out what was causing it as I have 100+ mods and didn't care enough about this one to trouble shoot and there is no way in hell id ever consider taking AGE off so I hope this can be resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look. I'm thinking it may be time for a rewrite.... this was my first attempt at a mod, and now that I have a few more under my belt I realize there's some room for improvement.

OMG thank you! I have had this issue this the mod came out. I couldn't figure out what was causing it as I have 100+ mods and didn't care enough about this one to trouble shoot and there is no way in hell id ever consider taking AGE off so I hope this can be resolved.

Binary sort. Takes only a few minutes to really narrow down troublesome mods on large 100+ mod installs

• 2 weeks later...
Binary sort. Takes only a few minutes to really narrow down troublesome mods on large 100+ mod installs

What super computer are you running? With all my mods load time is usually 5-8 minutes mostly the 40k MM patches, but still not every mod is worth the time. I already bug hunt too much as is :confused:

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look. I'm thinking it may be time for a rewrite.... this was my first attempt at a mod, and now that I have a few more under my belt I realize there's some room for improvement.

That would definitely explain why I'm not getting the expected result from my Kerbals in command seats. Oddly enough, it doesn't always short circuit this mod. It seems to mess with it when there are multiple seats that need to be populated though. It might come down to timing of the activity when the scene starts, where AGX is trying to initialize something at the same time and causing Take Command to silently fail.

What super computer are you running? With all my mods load time is usually 5-8 minutes mostly the 40k MM patches, but still not every mod is worth the time. I already bug hunt too much as is :confused:

it takes about 2min for me to get to the main menu under normal conditions. When you bin sort however you're only loading half or less of your mods at a time, so the load up is much quicker