KSP 1.-- hates welded parts... anybody know why?

G'day.

My welded parts, that haven't previously caused physics troubles, are going bananas since I updated KSP. To name a few issues:

1. surfaceFX on welded engines are permanently on, even when the throttle is at 0 and the engines deactivated.

Debugger says: [Error]: [ModuleSrfFX]: No IThrustProvider module found at index 0!

sI3MKrSh.png

2. welded capsules sink. -no errors in debugger.

gaEmV9ih.png

3. changing values in welded parachute .cfgs does nothing to alter their performance, and parachutes work underwater when they're connected to one of my sinking capsules. -no errors in debugger.

oLyPCnOh.png

The list of odd behaviours is far more extensive than this, but those are the most irritating issues I've encountered. Any ideas?

Edited by little square dot

Does part welding create a new part from two or more different ones? Maybe it's not adding up the physics of both parts correctly. As I understand it, each part has a front, side and rear drag value - and presumably other things are handled like this too- heat dissipation, buoyancy etc. If the game is looking for a skipper in the physics file, it finds the skipper's drag cube and all is well. If it's looking for a skipper/tank monstrosity, it finds nothing and uses default or broken values. Could that be the reason?

I'm not sure how KSP handles multiple models/drag cubes within one part, but the models are referenced and loaded individually, so KSP isn't looking for the drag values of frankenpart, rather it's somehow calculating a frankencube based on one or more of the models in use...or it could be ignoring them altogether. I really have no idea how it works.

Does it add the values, assign the drag cube of the first model loaded, ignore them altogether unless the otherwise specified in the .cfg....? Who knows, but I really hope the game is at least moderately sane about the process, 'cause the thought of having to individually assign several hundred unique drag cubes makes me a tad nauseous. =/

I'm not sure how KSP handles multiple models/drag cubes within one part, but the models are referenced and loaded individually, so KSP isn't looking for the drag values of frankenpart, rather it's somehow calculating a frankencube based on one or more of the models in use...or it could be ignoring them altogether. I really have no idea how it works.

Does it add the values, assign the drag cube of the first model loaded, ignore them altogether unless the otherwise specified in the .cfg....? Who knows, but I really hope the game is at least moderately sane about the process, 'cause the thought of having to individually assign several hundred unique drag cubes makes me a tad nauseous. =/

Maybe try asking this in one of the modding forums - those folks who are willing to go more than surface-deep into the files and engine could be able to answer your questions a bit more. But it does sound like the physics config file and how the game loads it might be a culprit.

May I ask - why are you welding parts? What does that accomplish? Smaller part count? More rigid joints? Just curious. :)

May I ask - why are you welding parts? What does that accomplish? Smaller part count? More rigid joints? Just curious. :)

Rigid joints and reduced memory footprint (new parts without adding new models/textures) are nice perks, but I love welding because you can build whatever the heck you want, in as much detail as your imagination will allow, without requiring any third-party assets, .cfgs excepted. Your parts retain the stock look that we know and love, and believe it or not, welding parts can be a lot of fun...if you can handle staring at notepad and a calculator for hours on end.

They're generally quite hassle free as well, major aerodynamic overhauls notwithstanding, and .cfgs can be modified, updated, manipulated, etc. with ease by anyone who so desires.

Most people think of welding as a way to reduce part counts and strengthen joints, but stacking and fusing truss segments, struts, tanks etc. is really just the tip of the iceberg. Highly detailed manipulations are possible as well...same principles, more imagination.

I threw together a couple of albums of 100% stock welds to show you what I mean.

Welded 3.75m capsule + launch escape system: 3 parts in total, capsule has fully functioning hatch, antenna, docking port, IVA etc.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Various odds and ends including rovers, habitation modules, engines, landers, spherical tanks, etc.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

Can a mod please relocate this thread elsewhere? I'm not sure why it was moved to the support forum for modded installs...cfg edits, while technically modifications, probably shouldn't qualify for the modded installs forum, and regardless, I'm not looking for tech support.

I'm interested in learning about how KSP determines part buoyancy and drag, so a move elsewhere would be much appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.