Limited Fuel at KSC option for Sandbox

What do you think of this idea?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea?

• Good idea
    • Bad idea

I apologize if this has been suggested before.

I was trying to think of a new challenge outside of career and science mode that could give a managerial challenge that could work in sandbox mode that would also include the new resources. What I came up with is that Kerbin is experiencing an oil shortage and fuel would be limited.

At the start of the game you would have a limited amount of stored fuel including LFO, Mono, xenon, and solid fuel. This could be modifiable depending on the level of difficulty you want. All ore would need to be removed from the KSC and surrounding area but could be found in areas of Kerbin. Fuel and ore recovered gets added to the reserve. Stored ore can be converted to any type as KSC would have a built in ISRU.

Optionally I am wondering if there should be a weekly or monthly allowance of fuel granted from some organization that would be based on your achievements and would degrade over time if you didnt do any missions to prevent time warping infinite fuel. Missions would have diminishing affects as well so you couldnt just keep doing mun missions and keep getting fuel grants.

This would give purpose to establishing mining and refueling stations around kerbin and other bodies to reduce the amount of fuel used launching new rockets.

TL;DR - Limited fuel to start the game. Puts importance on mining and refueling stations around the solar system.

Edited by roguelycan

This could probably use some of the tankage seen around the KSC. Imagine having to buy more fuel if you've run out of your current supply. Maybe Fuel supplies should be dependent on your reputation? There needs to be more things affected by that. Combine that with some sort of reputation decay (I think there's a mod for that) And boom. No timewarp fuel exploit. Maybe contracts should also be modified to grant fuel allotments when accepted with heavier reputation burns if canceled to make it painful to exploit?

I'm surprised this wasn't added into stock already. There are already those tanks lying about the KSC, and I would like more reason to be careful and not destroy them, since then your fuel quantity would decrease. Squad, you hear me? :)

As far as roleplaying goes you are right that the tanks on site can already explain that part of the scenario. One thing is I don't want this to be just another mod for career mode, the contracts and economy are fine but I am looking for something outside of the money based career mode. I want fuel to be the only real limiting factor in this mode. I dont want to deal with tourist and satelite contracts but I do like the idea of maybe an occasional special mission that comes up that would reward the player with a gift of fuel.

Not that this idea wouldnt work in career or science mode, but I am more interested in something closer to the sandbox mode but with a vague objective.

One thing is I don't want this to be just another mod for career mode"

I didn't realize that, but I imagine that using a slightly higher fuel allotment for other modes without disabling the mod for said modes would make it all inclusive. I imagine that this would make fuel depots and resource mining much more important.

I would imagine just a simple option in the difficulty settings with something like "KSC has infinite fuel reserves" that could be turned on or off for any mode, and a slider to adjust starting amounts. Also an option for removing ore from underneath KSC and a slider stating the minimum distance from KSC where ore will generate. Maxing the slider would remove all ore from Kerbin. No reason this couldnt be something used in any of the other game modes.

While I am sure it could be done fine for career mode with a few tweaks the whole point of wanting something like this is to avoid a money based economy. I dont want to have to do contracts to earn money just to pay more for fuel than we do already. Career is fun but I have unlocked the tech tree enough times. I want some objective gameplay for use in the sandbox mode. Of course before people start yelling about "Thats not sandbox mode then" remember that this would be an optional way to play.

The mode I am suggesting makes purchasing fuel impossible. You either have some in reserves or you dont. If you have no fuel then your not launching any ships. The starting volume of fuel would be adjustable depending on peoples desired difficulty level would be. This way people will actually need to recover fuel and ore to refill the KSC reserves as well as having refueling stations in orbit and around the solar system.

While I am sure it could be done fine for career mode with a few tweaks the whole point of wanting something like this is to avoid a money based economy. I dont want to have to do contracts to earn money just to pay more for fuel than we do already. Career is fun but I have unlocked the tech tree enough times. I want some objective gameplay for use in the sandbox mode. Of course before people start yelling about "Thats not sandbox mode then" remember that this would be an optional way to play.

The mode I am suggesting makes purchasing fuel impossible. You either have some in reserves or you dont. If you have no fuel then your not launching any ships. The starting volume of fuel would be adjustable depending on peoples desired difficulty level would be. This way people will actually need to recover fuel and ore to refill the KSC reserves as well as having refueling stations in orbit and around the solar system.

I had an idea of resource-limiting the player for my Career Mod (see link in sig), but honestly, I think your idea is actually better.

If I were to try to come up with something like this for career I think your idea would work pretty well. The fact that all the mining stuff is at the very end of the tree makes doing this in career or science mode difficult.

If I were to try to come up with something like this for career I think your idea would work pretty well. The fact that all the mining stuff is at the very end of the tree makes doing this in career or science mode difficult.

Tech tree re-arrangement is now very easy.

True, it wouldnt be hard to move all the necessary mining equipment into the first node or 2 in career mode if you enabled the mod for it. Wish I knew enough about modding to try to make it myself.

After much forum-surfing, it turns out you have to write a .dll for that.

To write a .dll, you need to learn C#

To learn C# you need to either work at home for a few years, or abandon your current studies.

In sandbox? By default, no. However for RP purposes, an option would be nice.

In Career? Sure, but a difficulty slider would probably be nice. Fuel cost & starting fuel. I don't play career, so I can be ignored in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I work professionally in IT but have very little actual modding experience outside of modifying some part configs and making small changes to other peoples work. Is this idea something simple enough to create with a little bit of research or am I looking at a significant amount of time to figure out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.