Mod usefulness in 1.0

Zatie12

Hey Folks

I've waited a few weeks before getting stuck into 1.0, partly to ensure all the mods I love to use have been updated and are generally working properly.

Is it still worth installing these mods in 1.0:

FAR - after the updates to the stock aerodynamics

Toolbar - the game has it's own toolbar now

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Enhanced Navball - Updates were made to the navball before 1.0?

I'm happy to install these mods, I love them, I've used them for a long time. I'm also concious that I'm limited with the 32-bit binary under Windows and memory consumption becomes a problem (hello Active Texture Management). I would like to keep my 1.0 build as slim as possible so I'm checking for opinions on how beneficial these mods are now that 1.0 has landed.

Thanks!

Hey Folks

I've waited a few weeks before getting stuck into 1.0, partly to ensure all the mods I love to use have been updated and are generally working properly.

I'm happy to install these mods, I love them, I've used them for a long time. I'm also concious that I'm limited with the 32-bit binary under Windows and memory consumption becomes a problem (hello Active Texture Management). I would like to keep my 1.0 build as slim as possible so I'm checking for opinions on how beneficial these mods are now that 1.0 has landed.

Thanks!

Aerodynamics are not quite the thing in stock.

Toolbar : well for other mods i guess it's usefull

KJR: depends on you

Ehenced navball: again depends on your preferences

FAR - Stock and FAR are a lot closer but there are still differences, especially since 1.0.2.

Toolbar - Depends on preference. If you like to move your toolbar around, and have many more icons than the stock one allows then you may still want it. A lot of mods have dropped support for it.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - this mod has not been required since 0.23 I think. I don't use it, to me it is cheating. You might as well use Alt+F12 and check the unbreakable joints checkbox.

Enhanced Navball - The addition were the maneuver node pointer, which pales in comparison to the ghosted icon, and the radial and Normal icons. If you want to scale the navball or have the much better ghosted icons then you will still want it.

FAR - Current stock aero is good for me but they're different enough. Your call.

Toolbar - While the game has it's own toolbar it clutters soon the more mods you add. The toolbar mod makes smaller toolbars and they can be hidden to the side of the screen. I normally get it.

KJR - Big Mk3 (space)planes have a problem with their joint strength. If you're not getting this, then get Claw's Stock Bug Fixes Mod, which fixes this too.

Enhanced Navball - They're mostly the same. The mod has this "phantom" markers whenever the stock ones dissapear. Your call.

FAR is way better then the stock aero if your looking for more of a sim.

KJR is a must have still in my book. I don't like wiggly rockets and with FAR you still get spectacular disassemblies.

Enhanced Navball? Ehhh... Na. Not really.

Toolbar? Yes you need it. Some mods still use it. Some give you a choice.

Hey Folks

FAR still goes above and beyond what stock does. In my observation, stock's closer to NEAR than FAR: slightly more realistic without severely sacrificing gameplay "fun" (as opposed to FAR, which emphasizes realism as the number one priority).

There are quite a few mods that (for whatever reason) still require Toolbar, and many of the rest still support it. While I personally prefer the stock toolbar in most circumstances, the fact that Toolbar continues to be supported (and even required) by various mods indicates that at least some folks feel differently.

I still use it; rockets are still too wobbly for my tastes without it.

Never used it, so I wouldn't know.

Thanks!

Most of these mods (other than perhaps FAR) are pretty lightweight memory-wise compared to most other mods. Hopefully Squad gets around to working out the kinks with the 64-bit Windows version (thus bringing it up to par with the 64-bit Linux version, which is rock-solid in my experience), but I probably wouldn't be all that concerned about memory from things like Toolbar and KJR.

Basically, KJR's pretty safe to go with. Toolbar's probably going to be mandatory depending on what other mods you use. FAR is still viable if you prefer near-absolute realism over the new stock system's balance of realism and accessibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.