Hi, I just started, I enjoy calculating things, how to avoid the game doing it for me?

Codexus

Hi,

So I started playing KSP over the weekend and I'm having a blast! My approach so far has been to avoid tutorials and to calculate as much as possible before actually doing things and I had a lot of fun figuring out those orbital speeds on my own and then having the satisfaction to see it work as expected or go horribly wrong if I made a mistake.

I did the Mun orbit that way and I was a bit annoyed that the game wouldn't (as far as I know) provide me at least some phase angle measurements to make my calculations more precise, but I managed to do it by eyeballing it (probably wasted a lot of delta-v but that's why I had some extra).

I was still thinking of ways to improve my method when I saw a comment mentioning upgrading some buildings to get flight planning and maneuver nodes. So I tested them tonight they are really good and easy to use but... somehow I'm kind of disappointed as they make calculating orbits myself rather useless.

I hope I don't come across as some elitist saying that calculating things should be the way to play this game or anything, it's great that there are many ways to play KSP. It's just that personally, I really enjoyed that part so far and I'm not sure how to continue doing so as the game will start to require more precision. I could just try not using maneuvers node, I guess, but is the game giving me enough information? Should I just stick a protractor to the monitor? :confused:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to calculate things, so I'd appreciate some advice on how to best enjoy the game in that way. :) (or tell me if you think I should just give up and just play the game without maths, that's a valid opinion too).

Thanks!

To get the raw data, Kerbal Engineer Redux(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/18230-1-0-2-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v1-0-16-6) or Mechjeb (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-1-0-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-5?highlight=mechjeb) have excellent readouts.

Mechjeb especially can be customised to give you as much or as little information as you need.

Note the Mechjeb also includes an autopilot, whereas KER just provides information

Hello Codexus, and welcome to the forums!

Many players enjoy the mathematical aspect of space travel that KSP offers, but for many others math just isn't fun and they just want to launch rockets.

I enjoy knowing how to calculate various things, including delta-v. When you launch many times, however, calculating by hand can come to seem a chore.

There are various levels of this. Some players install mods which do most or all of the piloting, while some install only mods that give additional info such as radar altimeter data (which is found in the cockpit view in the stock game) and readouts for remaining delta-v.

Some players build the craziest, most outlandish contraptions you can imagine. And many that you can't imagine.

The playstyles within KSP vary at least as much as the personalities of the players, if not more.

There are tutorials about how to calculate transfer windows for interplanetary burns, but there are also various web-based tools which make it as simple as plugging in a destination and an in-game date.

I recently read KSP described as almost more of a toy than a traditional game. I think there's some merit to that description. But it is the most amazing toy I have played with in my many years.

Whatever way is the most fun for you is the way you should play!

Happy landings!

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have a look at the suggested mods. Meanwhile I'm continuing to plan for my Munar landing. I want to have all the numbers figured out in theory before I make my attempt :D

Welcome to the forums! :)

Since you've said you like enjoy calculating things on your own, you might want to take a look at some of the materials that are listed over on the Drawing Board, which is conveniently linked through my signature. It's mainly meant as a resource for players who are having difficulty doing what they want to do or who are looking for new and interesting ideas, but there's plenty of information in there that you can use for just about all of your piloting and engineering needs (such as calculating delta-v, thrust / weight ratios, plotting orbits, etc.). (Due note that some of the information may be outdated, as 1.0 has made a few fundamental changes to some older aspects of gameplay.)

Hope this helps!