Veteran players reminisce: What was your first Munar landing like?

Tex

Well my first few attempts where back in 0.13. We didn't have any encounter warning system so when you burned you burned till you made it to almost above the mun's orbit. When I encountered I was always over eager with my landings, and since most of my Pe's where on the night side of the mun, I always came down at night. When I was coming down, it was impossible to tell how far you where from the surface, so I would often pancake jeb bob and bill into the surface thinking that I had made it more than a kilometer or much more up. It wasn't until I would look at my navball and see me gaining speed would not be able to slow it down in time. Soon I figured out how to enter orbit, and pick my landing sites. But it wasn't until I downloaded some of my first mods, those that gave me landing legs, was I able to land, and until .14 that I was able to build one that would return.

My first Mun landing in 0.12, was terrible. I knew nothing about orbital mechanic. I just went there with a straight line, using a huge rocket. Finally I landed on the bell of my engine and I was stuck there... Not enough fuel to come back.

I was very lucky on that first attempt. I needed more and more try to successfully land again.

I was around in .18 but i did my first landing in .20. I was still learning and had mechjeb on my CM and forgot to put it on my LEM so i ended up landing on the Mün without any assistance.

back in the day we didn't have any landing gear, so you had to land on your engines.

My first Mun landing ended with 2 out of 3 engines broken off and no way to return poor Jeb home.

The rescue mission landed over 40 Km off target.

As for my first landing, it was not a standard enter SOI, orbit, deorbit, then land. I did not know much about orbital mechanics, and thus was on a very eccentric collision course (I thought it would be more efficient at the time). I ended up doing a rather inefficient series of suicide burns. After "lithobraking too fast", I quickloaded and landed on the Mun.

This was back when the standard landing legs were rather ugly, unstable, and tended to fall off frequently.

Well, way back in 0.18, my first landing on the Mun was kinda rough. Broke off 2 landing struts (installed 6 so no biggie) and lost a fuel tank. Barely had enough fuel and engines to make Mun orbit, but was able to save that frickin moron Jeb.

I hate Jeb. Every new plane or rocket I put him in the pilots seat hoping the piece of crap will blow up and kill him.

My first KSP was Alpha v0.19 back in April of 2013. Back then I created an Apollo-style craft. Not only did I successfully land on the Mun (free return trajectory orbit nonetheless), I also managed to take off from it and return to Kerbin, using an MOR (Munar Orbit Rendezvous) method. First try. I thank my Orbiter experience (I have used Orbiter since 2001) for achieving this on the very first attempt. I was also part of an Orbiter addon team that developed addons and enhancements for NASSP (which eventually became Project Apollo).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.