Just got my Associate's degree.

BagelRabbit

Hello everyone! It's UpsilonAerospace.

I tend to drone on and on with my posts, so I'll keep this one short. You're welcome. :)

Yesterday, I took my last batch of finals at the local community college. Because of some financial problems, it's been a bit of a long and inauspicious road. But I'm graduating with an Associate's degree in general science, and I couldn't be happier. (I'll get my diploma on Saturday, so I guess I haven't officially graduated yet... but I am taking a break from the frenzied madness of finals, which is nice.)

I'm officially done with schoolwork until next fall, when I'll attend some college that's relatively nearby. For now, though, I just want to take it easy and rest for awhile. Oh, and over the summer, I'll also have the opportunity to make some videos with Starwhip, Felsmak, and Avera9eJoe! Stay tuned. :)

Thanks for being such a great community, guys. You've helped me through a lot, whether you were aware of it or not.

Stay awesome!

-Upsilon

Congratulations! Despite what many tend to think and say, that "lamb skin" is important. Job well done! :cool:

Now, however, I'll urge you to keep going. Don't stop there. Keep that momentum going! Go for your Bachelor's degree ... and then on to your Master's! :)

To answer all of the questions about what I'm planning on doing after this:

I'm planning on getting a Bachelor's, Master's, or even a Doctorate degree if it is even remotely possible. I realize that an Associate's degree isn't much, and I know that this is just the first step on a long road, but I'm proud to have taken it.

Thanks for all the friendly replies! (Of course I couldn't forget that project, Starwhip. It's gonna be awesome ;) )

-Upsilon

i have one of those. not worth the paper its printed on

Mine from '88 (with a specialization in computer science) got me in the door at my first couple jobs, otherwise I don't think I would have been able to find any computer related work.

However, I did abandon my Bachelor's to grab an opportunity at Crazy Uncle Larry's House of Big Orange Databases and Used Cars.

I've found in the s/w dev industry that degrees do help, but not as much as knowing the right stuff/people/connections.

The funny part is the computer part of my AA involved punched cards, COBOL and FORTRAN, but it also involved some seriously crusty but sharp instructors that gave really good insight on the computer industry outside of sitting the keyboard.

Also my math instructor?? Retired from Charles Draper Labs where he helped develop the guidance system for the Saturn V, which sat in the Instrument Unit at the top of the S-IVB. He was a truly badass and cool dude.

Edited by GeneCash

Oh, and over the summer, I'll also have the opportunity to make some videos with Starwhip, Felsmak, and Avera9eJoe! Stay tuned. :)

I expect great things from that interesting mix of personalities.

Let me know if I can help out in any way. I'm always up for collaborations. ^^

And lastly, Congratz on finishing the two-year haul!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.