What do you guys/gals really want from this game?

I want a fun game where I can build and fly hypothetical spacecraft and maybe, just maybe get a little bit of that feeling when you're strapped into the tip of a towering can of explosives and electronics which you are trusting your life on to take you away from your pale blue dot and out into the great unknown...a feeling which I look forward to someday...but that's in at least a decade so I'm happy for this shortcut to some of the awesomeness of space travel! Of course there are some specific things I want, but all those that I can think of are either coming soon (64 bit) or implemented by modders (better visuals, realism, better info, the Endurance, inflatable habs)...so as far as I'm concerned, everything I want is everything I'm getting already, and yet this game keeps managing to get more awesome! 

6 hours ago, Gojira1000 said:

...make a life-support system stock...

Snacks! (by tgruetzm)

I know it is not stock, but in the meantime this mod can fill the "simple life support" gap in stock. No extra parts, it only adds a single resource to the game called, snacks. Every capsule, lander can, cockpit, habitat, etc. gets a space to add the snacks resource(like how you would add monoprop to capsules). Every kerbal in space will eat 1 snacks every Kerbin day...if the he goes hungry, you start losing rep. It forces you to not send a 1 man capsule to Duna for cheap science.

If you make it too much like Orbiter, the 'low-key' people, which tends to be the majority, won't play it, meaning the game may not last long. A lot of people who play KSP don't even know what Orbiter is and even if they do, only a few select individuals can play and enjoy it for what it is.

However, if you make the game too 'everyone and their grandma's kitchen sink can play it easily with almost zero effort', the game may peak and not last long as well, since you'll grow bored out of the game too fast. On a parallel, you could say that people that tend to push Realism Overhaul may be these people.

So, IMO, there has to be a certain balance, cause neither choice is favorable to anyone. So, maybe pushing better modding tools could help while maintaining the game relatively easier to pick up for people who only want to play it kind of casually. Then you have mods for people who want more.

What I would want from the game? Better optimization would be a first. The game engine it runs on tends to be its Achilles heel, with people going for mod heavy installations having to constantly fight against it to make it work. Even 64 bit can only take so much far in terms of stuff. The more functionality that you put in, the more you're reaching that memory cap, so the game may reach a point where it can't grow any further because it can't deal with its own assets.

As @BloodDusk pointed out above, swinging to far towards or away from 'realism' could limit the games appeal or the length of time it keeps players hooked.

I think the balance and style as it is now is probably about right overall.  There are still fixes and features etc to be added, but if they are in in the current 'style' then they won't change that.

I would like to see an advanced option for an 'official' actual solar system, that is either integrated into the stock game and selectable in the game set up menu, or available as a self contained separate version (I know RSS does this).  And also perhaps a trimmed down 'beginner' option that has fewer available parts and planets which could be more geared towards younger players.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.