Launch Soundtrack at KSC

Does anyone else want some kind of launch soundtrack? I love the new 1.0 aero, which definitely keeps your attention during a launch, but something a little more hair-raising, edge of your seat is needed. I made these from pre-exisiting songs/sound effects and spliced them together. Check them out and give me some feedback! :)

These aren't bad actually. The 3rd one on your list is my favorite, it gives that movie vibe, like something is happening, but there's a peace before the storm, kind of feeling. That's nice. :)

However, some pressing questions about this. You don't really specify what you spliced this from, but regardless I think there's going to be copyright issues? Uhm, maybe another note is to remember that not everyone that plays (or better wording, might play in the future) KSP speaks English. This isn't meant to sound bad or anything but there's a reason the Kerbals speak in a reverse language, up-pitched a bit. It makes it universal, just like "The Sims" games have a "Simlish" language that's not any real language, but makes words basically. Although, in your defense, KSP hasn't been released in any other languages yet that I know of. Also, some of the sounds you use are a little too loud in my opinion? I'm not entirely sure how sounds of actual shuttle launches go into the game if you are actually launching a craft at the time, that seems a little redundant. Either way though, I see why you chose those, it gives that realistic feeling of something big going off the launchpad.

But! To soften the blow if you found any of this discouraging, which I hope it wasn't, if anything I do encourage you to continue... I would agree with you, I think there could be more suspense in this game, it could be made more get-off-your-seat friendly, as it already is with just simple mistakes turning into catastrophes of tumbling into another object in space. I think Squad could afford some better music than Kevin MacLeod. This is the only game I have played with the music turned off, which is kind of depressing if I'm not listening to other things constantly, but not all songs fit to the theme, you know? If there's been more music added, I wouldn't know. It's been about the same, but it's kind of fair considering how many other things have been progressing in the game. The music side will get some love someday, I'm sure. Maybe people like you can help propel the idea. I wish you luck, and I enjoy your work so far. c:

Thanks for the (entirely constructive) feedback and it was very welcome. I wouldn't ask for feedback if I didn't want to get better :D

Just want to note that I own absolutely nothing in those clips, I just spliced other people's music and sound effects to create something I use personally for immersion purposes.

Copyright issues go without saying. It's not like I expect Squad to include these in the game. I borrowed the soundtracks from powerful film scores that I felt sounded like good launching scores and that a Sound Designer more qualified than myself could make something better. I just use these for my own personal use along with the Chatterer mod which I think is excellent. It really immerses me into the game.

You're right about the speech. I did try to "Kerbalize" the speech, but my attempts just made it sound like Satanic chipmunks screaming. I took to some of the Kerbalese rules and just reversed some Spanish but again, it sounded weird. I just might borrow some clips from Chatterer and modify them. I agree about the English, the Preflight Systems check was purely there for effect and immersion. I would watch Russian rocket launches entirely in Russian and it would still give me the same vibe, but maybe that's me :)

As for the volume? You're right also. It's way too loud. I think the word awesome is overused these days, but I cranked the volume specifically on the sound of the crackling SRBs to create that feeling of pure awe at a rocket launch. You wouldn't be able to hear your own voice if you were yelling at the top of your lungs. I also wanted to compliment (maybe even mask) my own KSP rocket sounds. Maybe I should have just turned my rocket SFX down in KSP, haha!

You're right about the speech. I did try to "Kerbalize" the speech, but my attempts just made it sound like Satanic chipmunks screaming.

XD Well then, that's one way to describe it.

I'm very glad you appreciated my input. I appreciate that you did. And I'm glad that you also took this well, not as a discouragement but something to improve on. It's good that you agreed to the same things I pointed out. That's nice of you, and being open-minded to new ideas.

But yes, I'm glad you see the point about the copyright thing, you said that in a very realistic way. I do admit though that the scores you used were very fitting to the theme. I see now that you were creating more of a guideline, or like... basis of something you would like to see in the game. I enjoy that. And that last part, I personally enjoy Chatterer too. It makes me feel like the Kerbals are more alive, like they are having ground-to-space communication, making sure they know what to do, like you aren't just "making a ship move," but more of taking part in a journey, so to speak.

The part about the speech, it's nice to see you agreed to that as well. Pretty funny about your experience with creating "Satanic chipmunks screaming." XD I do unfortunately understand that though, that it might not be very easy to create speech that seems as smooth as what's already provided by the Chatterer mod. Although, I suppose this is not a mod discussion. :) The immersion on your part? I see where you were going with that. That's not a bad idea, personally I could see that launches could have some "pre-flight check" before launching, and some slightly different speech mid-flight that could be vanilla to the game. I think that would be interesting. But yes, on that other note... universally, from any language, rocket launches can be exciting. Even if you don't know what they're saying, the suspense and words makes it that just more interesting.

For the last part. c: Understandable why you chose the volume to be that way, the sound of something so massive and expensive lifting off the ground is the kind of sound that people interested in space travel and rocketry could get addicted to. I could see some crackling or special sounds added to the game could enhance the lift-off and such a bit, like different sounds for different altitudes and density of the atmosphere. (There is some things like this I suppose, like jets making different sounds, changing color a bit at high altitudes, because the throttle starts to trim down a bit, and the air sounds introduced into the new 1.0.0 update and above.) So in other words, I agree with your reasons. :) But I suppose you could always change your SFX volume too. But, maybe there is a harmony between the two sounds, or could be in the future, where it's all combined into a nice package of sounds.

Good luck though, I like your humor and commitment to your ideas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.