[1.8+] Custom Barn Kit 1.1.20 (19 October 2019) - Parachute Included

sarbian

Something must be wrong with my install, all of the upgrade prices are the same as .90 for me, and when I change the values in your mod, nothing changes in your game?

My game says it's 1.0.2, but I don't believe it now...

I just installed the no more grind mod from .90 and it worked, upgraded them without an issue.

And I think before I started modding it the costs were from .90, not from 1.0.2

Odd right?

Ok, you might want to double check everything again. I made changes to the .cfg and had no issues with it at all. Every change I put in to the .cfg was accepted and I tested the following:

Building Upgrade Costs

Action Group Unlock

Fuel Transfer Unlock

Mass/Size Limits

Part Count Limits

Recruit Hiring Costs, including base costs, flat rates and rate modifiers

Crew Level Limits

Active Crew Limits

Flight Planning Unlock

EVA Unlock

Flag Unlock

Surface Sample Unlock

Active Contract Limits

Recovery Value Factors both ship and resource

Reputation modifiers both death and recovery

Prestige Modifiers

Contract Modifiers including destination weights, advance factors, completion/failure factors

Reputation and Science reward factors

Space Object Discovery Unlock

Orbit Display

Patched Objects

Tracked Objects limits

Active Strategy Limits

Strategy Commit Ranges

Data to Science Ratios

Science Cost Limits

All that said, I do have some questions about how the config file works with it's formatting.

1) On building costs (and several other variables), there is an initial cost listed but the first upgrade cost you see is the second one on the list. For example, VABUpgrades = 100000, 250000, 1000000, the initial building upgrade cost to go from level 1 to 2 will not be 100,000 but rather 250,000. What is the first value for and is it needed for some reason I'm just not seeing?

2) Is there a way to enable something in the configuration file to be on by default? I understand the .2/.4/.6/-1 usage for establishing when something becomes available. However, when I change something like EVA capability or Custom Action Groups to be available at the start without paying for any upgrades it doesn't work. I set those values to .2 but I still have to upgrade the building for it to become available. Additionally, if I set the value to .4, it reacts the same way so the first time I upgrade it, the new capability becomes available at Level 2. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to be turned on by default so I wasn't sure if this was even possible.

Other than the second point though, all other configuration values seem to be working properly. I do think that some documentation needs to be written if this is going to go to a full release because the .2/.4/.6 value is confusing and it took me a little bit of experimentation to get how the various scaling factors worked for things like kerbonaut hiring costs and contract scaling for reputation/advance funds/science rewards. If you need any help with that for a full release version I would be more than willing to contribute what I can and let you correct anything that might be incorrect.

One last note as a suggestion - I don't know how hard it would be so don't know if it's worth the time but...

If an interface GUI could be built to allow people to configure these values either at career startup or on the initial load in screen after starting (kind of like the TAC-LS config window pops up on first load) then it would make setting these values up far more accessible to average joe user who doesn't dig into .cfg files regularly like us obsessives. :D Just a thought...

Great work Sarbian, this is exactly the kind of control I wanted for career mode when I started playing and lacked since I am no code jockey. Really glad you did this!

- - - Updated - - -

Reported one thing working that isn't by accident since I had forgotten to save my config file. activeStrategyLimit and strategyCommitRange are not working at all. No changes I make to them are allowing me to change those limits. I also have to retract dataToscienceRatio since that was another one of the values that I didn't save. If I see that appears to be incorrect I will report back.

Edited by rasta013

So over on this thread, you mentioned that this mod can change the cost of hiring Kerbals. That is not what I gathered from the mod description. What all can this mod do? What other nifty features are you hiding in there?

"let you change a bunch of parameters related to career and science. "

Cost of hiring seems to be related to that.

As for your need if you look at the config you ll see that section.

ASTRONAUTS
{
upgrades = 19000, 75000, 282000
[B]recruitHireBaseCost = 10000
recruitHireFlatRate = 1.25
recruitHireRateModifier = 0.015
[/B] unlockedEVA = 0.2
unlockedEVAClamber = 0.6
unlockedEVAFlags = 0.4
activeCrewLimit = 5, 8, 12, -1
crewLevelLimit = 1, 3, -1
}

Wow. Looking at the config, there are all sorts of nifty things I can tweak.

However, it seems that your mod is not yet intended for wide distribution with other mods. Is this still very much in the "testing/keep away from too many other mods" phase? It seems like the biggest threat might be conflicts where the config changes something that another mod changes. Is that correct? Since the plugin is set to use the stock value if none was provided, would it be best to delete everything in the default config except what I want to change? (To reduce the chance of conflicts?) Or will it treat no value as a new value and try to change it back to stock?

Yes, it is not ready for distrib with other mods since I want to change the config format and I did not have the time yet. I should do it soon however.

I don't think any other mods will conflict with it. As long as they don't take the dll and put it in their folders or overwrite the config file (MM is here to change the numbers).

And just for info's sake. I've got this running just fine with a setup running 91 mods right now. Most of them are game changers and add-ons, not part files so I'm modifying all kinds of game info. Other than the quirk with not being able to change the admin stuff using the config file, I've found nothing else that isn't working.

It's one of those things you didn't know you needed.

I'm absolutely going to have to use this for my project.

Can you give me the rundown on how to properly attribute this work to you?

As I said 3 times in the thread the mod is not ready for distribution. When it is you ll have to package the directory beside your mod or ask your use to install it.

As I said 3 times in the thread the mod is not ready for distribution. When it is you ll have to package the directory beside your mod or ask your use to install it.

I'm sorry.

Don't worry though, this is not going to be any time soon :cool: I just put it in my bucket list of things I need to track.

This is a first release and is not yet intended for wide distribution with other mods.

I just want to make sure I understand what this means. (I think I do, but maybe not). Does this mean do not use with other mods? Or don't package it with other mods?

I made the following changes to the default.cfg:

ASTRONAUTS

{

upgrades = 19000, 75000, 282000

recruitHireBaseCost = 10000

recruitHireFlatRate = 0.01

recruitHireRateModifier = 0.00001

unlockedEVA = 0.2

unlockedEVAClamber = 0.6

unlockedEVAFlags = 0.4

activeCrewLimit = 5, 8, 12, -1

crewLevelLimit = 1, 3, -1

}

And nothing happened. (The costs for hiring new kerbalnauts did not change.) Previously, I had tried recruitHireFlatRate = 0.0 and recruitHireRateModifier = 0.0 and again, no change. Am I supposed to be changing the default config that comes with the mod or creating a new one? (Because I've been changing the one that comes with the mod).

EDIT: Okay. Weird. I deleted the mod, downloaded it, reinstalled it, did everything exactly the same and recruitHireFlatRate = 0.0 and recruitHireRateModifier = 0.0 sort of had the desired effect. They did something. Namely they set the astronaut cost to 0. In case anyone is interested, the equation for astronaut cost seems to be cost = abn +acn^2, where a = recruitHireBaseCost, b =recruitHireFlatRate, c = recruitHireRateModifier. Correct me if this doesn't seem to be the case. If I'm correct, that's kind of annoying, because there is no getting around the fact that each kerbal will always cost more than the previous one.

I take it there's no way around that right? The equation will always be a quadratic or linear equation with a y-intercept of zero, right? I can of course continue to change the equation as I get more kerbals, but I was hoping for a more permanent solution.

Edited by Minwaabi

v1.1.0 :

- changed the config files to use the buildings levels instead of strange floating point values :sticktongue:

- added a "recruitHireFixedRate" to change the cost of recruiting to a fixed rate equal to the value of recruitHireBaseCost

This release should be OK for a wide audience. I prefer that you ask the users to install the mod themselves instead of including it in your download. To change the config value DO NOT edit the content of the default file but use a ModuleManager patch in your mod folder.

v1.1.0 :

- changed the config files to use the buildings levels instead of strange floating point values :sticktongue:

- added a "recruitHireFixedRate" to change the cost of recruiting to a fixed rate equal to the value of recruitHireBaseCost

This release should be OK for a wide audience. I prefer that you ask the users to install the mod themselves instead of including it in your download. To change the config value DO NOT edit the content of the default file but use a ModuleManager patch in your mod folder.

I edited the default file to no ill effect... but I'll follow your instructions.

Thanks for the update! I see in the new config you have removed the value formerly corresponding to the level 0 limits which currently we don't see in game as all our building are level 1. Do values for level 0 no long need to be included, and will it cause issues if they are there throwing off values?

The config must reflect the number of level of the building (currently not dynamic). The mod will not use the config if they don't have the right number of info.

v1.1.0 :

Thanks so much.

v1.1.0 :

Are these instructions just for modders incorporating this mod into theirs, or also for users using this to tweak their own game? If the latter, there is no problem dropping the MM patch into the custombarnkit folder right?

I'm experiencing weird bugs when trying to use this in career mode. For instance, when tweaking part count/weight limits (i made the part count unlimited for all levels, -1)...when I go to the R&D tree, pressing unlock always says that I dont have enough science and never unlocks a node....any ideas?

I cant check in game at the moment, but the default.cfg contains some parameters which seem non-stock, like

craftMassLimit = 32, 300, -1

scienceCostLimit = 300, 500, -1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.