[WIP] [1.05] THERMONUCLEAR TURBINES! 1.0 Nuclear Aircraft Engines

Eskandare

That is basically the idea, except I'm putting in a few nerfs to prevent the engines from being overpowered or cheats.

Good luck. For most purposes they should be annoying as hell and heavy in Earth gravity. They'd kick arse on small moons or planets with non-Oxy atmospheres though. Weight not such an issue, and the atmosphere is essentially heated and accelerated regardless of it's chemistry.

A lot of hard data is missing from the tests and reasons for cancelling etc, but it's suspicious that it was cancelled shortly after they ran the airborne shielding tests. It might be that engine plus shielding was just too heavy. Again, requires kerbals to care. And the trade off would be for extremely long airborne times. Short burns use rockets, long burns use jets, infinite burns use nuke.

Looks good. My game is still loading, so I haven't tried them out yet. But those names… truly japanese :P!

Edit:

Tried them out now, I just love them! The sound is just amazing. I wish, all stock jet engines would have that sound. These engines seem actually a little OP. They just need an atmosphere and nothing more. You should try balancing them out a little more, like make them heavier, cost more, etc. Also, I always will prefer the Masamune to the Rapier,

it's more efficient and doesn't require you to fiddle around with oxidizer. Keep up the good work!

Edited by ZentroCatson

PROPELLANT
{
name = IntakeAtm
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}

If you use this resource already commonly used from the Community resource pack you can avoid your issue that cause all other jets to operate without O2.

I would but one caveat, the planets' atmosphere does not contain the resource IntakeAtm. IntakeAir is, if I'm not mistaken, hard coded in KSP so a plugin modifying all atmospheres to contain intakeAtm would be required. This I'm surprised isn't added to the community resource pack.

Looks good. My game is still loading, so I haven't tried them out yet. But those names… truly japanese :P!

Edit:

Tried them out now, I just love them! The sound is just amazing. I wish, all stock jet engines would have that sound. These engines seem actually a little OP. They just need an atmosphere and nothing more. You should try balancing them out a little more, like make them heavier, cost more, etc. Also, I always will prefer the Masamune to the Rapier,

it's more efficient and doesn't require you to fiddle around with oxidizer. Keep up the good work!

If you notice they are heavy, Kunai 3.75, Masamune 4.25 (heavier then the LV-N). Not quite op once you are in the upper atmosphere if you watch the engine output it will decrease thrust due to the air being the fuel.

Edited by Eskandare

I just realized something, are the MASAMUNE engines supposed to have an emissive in rocket mode? I don't see anything coming out of them...

Yes they are supposed to have an emissive constant and have an emissive heat animation.

I would but one caveat, the planets' atmosphere does not contain the resource IntakeAtm. IntakeAir is, if I'm not mistaken, hard coded in KSP so a plugin modifying all atmospheres to contain intakeAtm would be required. This I'm surprised isn't added to the community resource pack.

I don't think that is true at all. I think you can define any resources for intakes as long as it has a resource definition. That is how karbonite does atmospheric harvesting along with other resource mods, as well as electric fan engines for other planets with atm. In squad folder in Resources.cfg

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = IntakeAir
density = 0.005
unitCost = 0
hsp = 10
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
}

I don't think that is true at all. I think you can define any resources for intakes as long as it has a resource definition. That is how karbonite does atmospheric harvesting along with other resource mods, as well as electric fan engines for other planets with atm. In squad folder in Resources.cfg

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = IntakeAir
density = 0.005
unitCost = 0
hsp = 10
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
}

Hmmmn... I'll play about with it tonight. I always thought it was hard coded to planet atmospheres. If anything, I'll make a new MM patch to all intakes to add IntakeAtm.

EDIT: Ok well that works but I only hope that IntakeATM doesn't require Kerbonite (because I have it installed)

EDIT 2: Nope you're right, sorry I doubted you, chap. Updated to 0.1.3.

Edited by Eskandare

Okay, I din't really look at the mass. Now, my biggest problem is that the Masamune does not have an alternator. That's just stupid :mad: It's a nuclear reactor after all, and you know how much power a nuclear reactor produces. Even the stock LV-N (I got stuck to that name, can't call it "Nerf") has an alternator. Please fix that!

Okay, I din't really look at the mass. Now, my biggest problem is that the Masamune does not have an alternator. That's just stupid :mad: It's a nuclear reactor after all, and you know how much power a nuclear reactor produces. Even the stock LV-N (I got stuck to that name, can't call it "Nerf") has an alternator. Please fix that!

First, don't you think that is a little uncalled for? Second, I would think nuclear engines, at most, should produce electricity when not running (when running, the heat begin generated is used for thrust, not power). Third, to the extent the game doesn't support "inverse throttle" alternators, I figure the power being generated when it is off is being used for cooling and containment. Fourth, its based on the RAPIER, which also doesn't generate electricity. So it's not really stupid at all... IMHO.

Found this mod recently and I'm really enjoying it. Question, did the parameters change with the last update for using the engines in air breathing mode? I'm getting instant flame out on all my craft that worked fine before. Thanks.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = IntakeAir
density = 0.005
unitCost = 0
hsp = 10
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
}

Instead of IntakeAir, I would advice to use the same resource definition KSPI used full thermal turbo jet

{
name = IntakeAtm
density = 0.005
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
unitCost = 0
}

KSPI adds AtmosphericIntake to all AirIntakes, meaning you can use them with any air intake

I modified the AtmosphericIntake to behave similar to Air-intake, except it will also operate in atmospheres without oxygen, allowing you to operate at high altitude in any atmosphere.

Edited by FreeThinker

First, don't you think that is a little uncalled for? Second, I would think nuclear engines, at most, should produce electricity when not running (when running, the heat begin generated is used for thrust, not power). Third, to the extent the game doesn't support "inverse throttle" alternators, I figure the power being generated when it is off is being used for cooling and containment. Fourth, its based on the RAPIER, which also doesn't generate electricity. So it's not really stupid at all... IMHO.

Unfortunately the module (MultiModeEngine) doesn't keep certain modules active, this is why the turbine spools down (FSplanePropellerSpinner) and other modules won't work during the engine switch. Alternators don't work either. They will run in 'Airbreathing' mode but will stop working in 'Rocket' mode so there wouldn't be any power generated when you need it most, in space. When I make the Indirect Air Cycle Engines, they'll use a separate reactor that makes a resource called thermal energy and will generate electricity. The engines will be a hair lighter, run cooler, but have to haul a big bulky reactor supplying energy. Best solution for the Direct Air Cycle Engines is to add either fuel cells, solar panels, or RTGs to your craft.

Found this mod recently and I'm really enjoying it. Question, did the parameters change with the last update for using the engines in air breathing mode? I'm getting instant flame out on all my craft that worked fine before. Thanks.

I changed the IntakeAir to IntakeAtm in v.0.1.3, it should have CRP and MM included with the package. Please let me know if you're still having problems.

Instead of IntakeAir, I would advice to use the same resource definition KSPI used full thermal turbo jet

{
name = IntakeAtm
density = 0.005
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
unitCost = 0
}

KSPI adds AtmosphericIntake to all AirIntakes, meaning you can use them with any air intake

I modified the AtmosphericIntake to behave similar to Air-intake, except it will also operate in atmospheres without oxygen, allowing you to operate at high altitude in any atmosphere.

Oh thanks, free thinker, I had already done that with the 0.1.3 release, it has an MM patch giving all intakes an additional intake, for IntakeAtm.

This is...awesome. Where are the other engines, need MOAR! :D

I am playing with the thought of slapping a "Gome nasai!" on my capsules to apologize for all that blewn up Kerbals (engines get hot if you dont touch them gently :))

Unfortunately the module (MultiModeEngine) doesn't keep certain modules active, this is why the turbine spools down (FSplanePropellerSpinner) and other modules won't work during the engine switch. Alternators don't work either. They will run in 'Airbreathing' mode but will stop working in 'Rocket' mode so there wouldn't be any power generated when you need it most, in space.

Would this work

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.34
}
}

That is what the stock rtg uses.

Ran an engine test again to make sure the emmisives worked and that they were getting hot like they're supposed to.

Can you check your install? I was not getting the red closed cycle MASAMUNE effects until I also (just) installed HotRockets. Now I have both the blue open cycle effects and red closed cycle effects. Is HotRockets suppose to be a dependency? Sorry if I missed that.

Also, while I love the MASAMUNE sound effects, they are a little... loud (so loud that it drowns out chatterer with voice at 100% and ship sounds at 10%). Still love this mod more than I can express. :)

Edited by MinorInconvenience
Forgot stuff.

Can you check your install? I was not getting the red closed cycle MASAMUNE effects until I also (just) installed HotRockets. Now I have both the blue open cycle effects and red closed cycle effects. Is HotRockets suppose to be a dependency? Sorry if I missed that.

No, hot rockets isn't meant to be a dependency. The nuclear engine effects are included as well as credit given to Nazari1382 for the hot rockets effects. It should all work. I'll run a few tests on the distributed package. Perhaps the *.dds isn't showing up. Also you need to run them for a while to get them hot. I kept the heat low in air breathing mode to keep them cool but amped up the heat in rocket mode. Still cooler then the LV-N, but I'm still in the process of tuning the engine heat. I wanted the engines usable without everyone getting frustrated that the engines made everything explode. My original tests had the engine heating as the same as the LV-N but things blew up too fast. Also part of the heat effect you're seeing in my pictures is the buggy heating effect and gauges (F10) showing where things are overheating, hopefully that will be fixed in KSP 1.03.

Let me do it in pictures (it's easier) :)

http://imgur.com/a/04IQr

One picture is closed cycle with Hot Rockets and your mod installed, the other is with just your mod.

Odd let me investigate this.

Edit: Also looks like your heat is working. :)

Edit 2: just to be sure I completely removed my copy of hot rockets, it is running fine as intended. double check your installation, the folder structure most be exact. Also effects folder cannot be *.dds because it uses alpha channels. Also, another thing... I like your SSTO. :D

Edited by Eskandare

Nuclear Rocket mode without Hot Rockets installed:

http://i.imgur.com/HINrgwH.png

Hmm... for whatever reason, I need to include the Smokescreen.dll to get that pretty red color. No clue why. Ah well, at least it works for me now. :)

And with your mod I can make a smallish mk2 SSTO with a 20% payload fraction to Duna (can only get home with a small tweakscale ISRU in the forward bay, but...) So cool!

Edited by MinorInconvenience
typos

Hmm... for whatever reason, I need to include the Smokescreen.dll to get that pretty red color. No clue why. Ah well, at last it works for me now. :)

And with your mod I can make a smallish mk2 SSTO with a 20% payload praction to Duna (can only get home with a small tweakscale ISRU in the forward bay, but...) So cool!

Ahh, I knew I forgot something... Smokescreen!!!! Well then I'll have that packaged with the next release. Which will have the MURAMASA Nuclear Turbo Prop.

oh i am fine with the heat of the engines, just wanted to make clear, those engines are nuclear and supposed to get hot in closed cycle mode. :) Engine lighting and emissives work well. Together with the Heat Management mod your whole SSTO glows in the dark (radiation anyone? :D)

Seems like there is a dependancy of oxygen?!

I found this at the bottom of the config file:

//MODULE

//{

// name = ModuleResourceIntake

// resourceName = IntakeAir

// checkForOxygen = false

// area = 0.01

// intakeSpeed = 10

// intakeTransformName = Intake

//}

// RESOURCE

//{

// name = IntakeAir

// amount = 0

// maxAmount = 1

//}

}

MAybe this part causes it?

Edit: it is slashed out, but maybe it has something to do with the intakes...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.