My Birthday, and First Job!

michaelsteele3

So on May 6th, I turned 14. Before that, I had applied for a job at a golf course, and it got accepted. I'm working for minimum wage, cleaning golf carts and lining them up. (Gotta start SOMEWHERE.)

I would have made a thread, as I was on the forums during my B-Day, but I was too lazy.

Speaking of jobs, what was YOUR first job, if you had any?

I'm working for minimum wage, cleaning golf carts and lining them up. (Gotta start SOMEWHERE.)

I actually think that working the minimum wage jobs at the bottom of the food chain makes you are more valuable and better employee down the line, and when and if it comes to that probably a better boss too. In my case it made certain that I never look down on anyone doing a job, as I not only found out it is hard work for little pay, but also that that actually is the collective work force that makes our society tick and allows the higher-ups to do their work appropriately.

Glory to the trash collectors, cleaners, re-stockers of shelves, etcetera, for making our lifes clean and easy. Hail The Probe!

I actually think that working the minimum wage jobs at the bottom of the food chain makes you are more valuable and better employee down the line, and when and if it comes to that probably a better boss too. In my case it made certain that I never look down on anyone doing a job, as I not only found out it is hard work for little pay, but also that that actually is the collective work force that makes our society tick and allows the higher-ups to do their work appropriately.

Glory to the trash collectors, cleaners, re-stockers of shelves, etcetera, for making our lifes clean and easy. Hail The Probe!

That's good.

Bag Boy at the grocery store was my first job. To this day I try to stack my groceries on the belt in a way that they can be bagged properly... Produce together, cold stuff together etc. in the hopes that they will bag it the right way. Sadly it only works about 50% of the time. :mad:

If I don't count selling lettuce (my grandmother produced) at the local market when i was around 5, it would be cleaning windshields at the gas pumps, but that was not actually payed in salary, just tips. So not a real job either.

My first legal employment was much more serious - air traffic controller student.

That didn't work out, though, so now I do something a lot more fun, I build a model railroad.

My first job was working in a self-service-restaurant.

They had me do everything, working at the cash-register, manning the juice-bar, bread-station, etcetera.

But the thing I liked most was....doing the dishes...

Yes, call me crazy, but I liked that the most. It was simple but fast and hard work. This way I could work at a frantic pace, but keep my mind clear.

Worked there for 6,5 years. Good times!

My first job is the same one I have been working for just short of two years now as a worker at Charley's grilled subs. Though that will change on August 18 of this year when I ship out to air force basic training

Well, it could be considered helping my mother in her shop at age 16, had to work the stipulated hours for a fixed pay and everything. But my first for real real, no family job, was as a freelance programmer. Had to create an administration system for a real state agency at say 21, 22? years old. Never got paid for it. :(

So, my first paid job that put food on my plate was for a software company, working on a system for a telecommunications company. Age 26 I believe. Dropped college that year too 'cos didn't have the time for both (and no money for just college).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.