[& Mod Craft] Krumman F-14 Tomcat (Grumman F-14 Tomcat Replica) - now over 1000 downloads!

f8NaYxE.png

KRUMMAN F-14 TOMCAT

Freedom. Democracy. Liberty. The folks over at Krumman hold these core principles of our nation close to their hearts throughout the design and construction process of every new fighter. And that is why Krumman produces the best fighters in the world. The F-14 is finely tailored to the needs of the K.S. Navy, built to achieve supreme air superiority and dominate the skies. If this just doesn't convince you of the necessity to have the F-14 in your fighter lineup, just watch the video below.

Now, let's get back to business.

Inspired by the Grumman F-14 Tomcat

SPECIFICATIONS

There are two versions of the Krumman F-14 Tomcat. One has its wings swept forward for maximum maneuverability and excellent handling at low airspeeds. The other has its wings swept backward for high speed performance and stability. (in reality, the maximum speed difference between the two versions is minimal)

Parts: 71

Mass: 15.2t

Crew: 1-2

Height: 3.9m

Wingspan: 13.1m (wings forward version);

Length: 11.7m

Powerplant(s): 2x J-X4 Whiplash Turbo Ramjet Engines

Maximum SL Speed: Mach 1

Maximum Speed: Mach 3+ @18.0 km altitude

OPERATIONAL GUIDE

Takeoff

The Krumman F-14 Tomcat is stable on the takeoff run, but the pilot must be careful not to rotate too much, or critical rear fuselage components (such as the engines) may impact the ground. A slow rotation, with minimal pitch, is best especially for the wings forward version.

Flight

The wings forward version is highly maneuverable and capable of astonishing aerobatics. Be careful at higher speeds however, as this supreme flight performance then becomes dangerous in the wrong hands: do not exceed the angle of attack too much or airframe integrity may be compromised. The wings backward version is slightly less maneuverable, but more stable - a trait especially useful at high speeds.

Landing

For both versions, approach runway at 100 m/s. For the final approach, slow down to no less than 45 m/s in both versions. The airframe is rather sturdy and can handle bounces well, but do remember not to flair too much or the rear fuselage may impact the ground.

LINK

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/shareables/230485-krumman-f-14-tomcat-stock-replica

ALBUM

The appearance of this craft for 1.0.3 has changed:

l6ekKRI.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

SSTO Version

The SSTO version, the SF-14A Spacecat, is shown in the image below:

8wsccpG.png

I will include a flight manual for this bird as well. Download on the same page as the regular F-14.

Infernal Robotics Variable Sweep Version

Ayram made an Infernal Robotics, fully functional variable sweep wings version and also combined this with BD Armory and P.E.W.:

See his post here for download links

Edited by Aanker

Will check that out, hang on!

BYZHi8D.png

I get a .craft file, it might be your browser or computer that is doing something. What is your browser? And your OS?

Edited by Aanker

Downloaded, got the "craft" file. (suppose that was correct). BUT when I downloaded, it comes up as a "text(?)" file, save it and it saves as "Krumman%20F-14%20Swept%20Wing_craft.mht". Changed it to "Krumman F-14 Swept Wing.craft", but when in KSP, it states that it is incomplete and not for this revision (1.02)

Suggestions?

TB

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for the second post, trying to edit it to be appropriate

Just put the downloaded .craft file in the correct directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\SAVENAME\Ships\SPH), do not open or otherwise edit it. It contains text information (basically code lines), so I'm guessing your computer for some reason believes it is a .mht file, but it should stay .craft. The transition to .mht may make a backward edit to .craft incompatible with KSP.

using Windows 7 and I.E. Can try Chrome next

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, Chrome worked, and I forgot I was still running ver 1.0 KSP (Duhhh!!) :confused:

Will have to upgrade to test. I get "wrong version" (of course).

Flys nice! Only thing I added was an airbrake between the vertical stabilizers. Thanks for making this! I know it wouldn't be "stock", but might use robotics to make the wings sweep if I can.

TB

Flys nice! Only thing I added was an airbrake between the vertical stabilizers. Thanks for making this! I know it wouldn't be "stock", but might use robotics to make the wings sweep if I can.

TB

Good to hear that you got it working! Feel free to make edits etc. I actually experimented with adding an airbrake there purely for the visuals, but there was no way to disable the airbrake activation upon pressing the break button, so that was that.

This is one of the best things ever :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS How did you get that beautiful banner shot :D

Thanks! The banner shot is some basic post-screenshot photo manipulation. Mostly related to curves and colour levels. I personally think the sunset and sunrise on Kerbin are a bit disappointing in terms of visual effects on their own. :(

That part in the Top Gun video where he flew upside down and got a photo of that MiG pilot made my day! Funny, I don't seem to remember it from the movie.

As for the aircraft itself: Damn man, great job. At long last we have a Tomcat with actual variable geometry wings. Time to reverse engineer these. I would consider getting a patent on that before the design is stolen. :D

EDIT: Oh. There are two separate versions of the craft. Darn. Still a good job. Well, that's what I get for gawking at the photos instead of actually reading the text.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

That part in the Top Gun video where he flew upside down and got a photo of that MiG pilot made my day! Funny, I don't seem to remember it from the movie.

As for the aircraft itself: Damn man, great job. At long last we have a Tomcat with actual variable geometry wings. Time to reverse engineer these. I would consider getting a patent on that before the design is stolen. :D

EDIT: Oh. There are two separate versions of the craft. Darn. Still a good job. Well, that's what I get for gawking at the photos instead of actually reading the text.

You could always try PMing Bugs as he got something working with IR - for stock variable wings, you'd probably have to go bigger :P

In the meantime, I'm working on the F-114 Spacecat.

PS. And then the race is on to build a working U.S. Navy carrier that can go to orbit.

Edited by Aanker

You could always try PMing Bugs as he got something working with IR - for stock variable wings, you'd probably have to go bigger :P

In the meantime, I'm working on the F-114 Spacecat.

PS. And then the race is on to build a working U.S. Navy carrier that can go to orbit.

Surely you mean U.N. Spacy. May I suggest the Prometheus for inspiration? :)

Surely you mean U.N. Spacy. May I suggest the Prometheus for inspiration? :)

I think it's going to be more like a USS Nimitz or something in orbit :P

Also, the Spacecat is now available (currently under curseforge review):

8wsccpG.png

I liked so much your F-14s, that I have an urge to merge them in one, iconic, version, in my modded game:

http://imgur.com/a/MWRHU

using Infernal Robotics (to add the docking washers to the foldable wings) and TweakScale (to add some smaller airbrakes between tails, to recreate the real ones):

Download: http://kerbalx.com/Araym/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat

Also, for militarized player, sporting BDArmory and P.E.W. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117635) additional missiles (for the Phoenix):

http://kerbalx.com/Araym/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat---Armed

Edited by Araym

It's funny how nuStock will basically let any replica craft go to space, provided it has a good fuel balance. (LFO/LF/MP). My XB-70 Valkyrie flies like it was made to go suborbital... xD nice job on the F-14, I can hear Danger Zone in my head already. Probably the most accurate replica I've seen yet. I'll have to start using those SAS nosecones myself soon, as they seem to be the go-to choice for replica builds.

I'll add the modded DL links to the OP!

Also thanks - they're actually the NCS nosecones (but the SAS ones are very similar except for the pitot and some other additional equipment). Also the NCS adapter fuel tanks are very useful.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.