Official FAR Craft Repository

• 3 weeks later...

greetings and salutations.

What are some suggestions to not have variable-geometry wings flopping about/maintain structural integrity when transitioning between geometry ?

I'm using  FAR 'Liebe' and IR for the variable geometry.

cheers.

maas

2 hours ago, maas1248 said:

greetings and salutations.

What are some suggestions to not have variable-geometry wings flopping about/maintain structural integrity when transitioning between geometry ?

I'm using  FAR 'Liebe' and IR for the variable geometry.

cheers.

maas

With using IR mod ? In the past I have created pretty strong mechanizm using extendratrons instead of hinges. Still searching for stronger and more simple mechanizm with WIP IR next plugin. It might require more tweaking with part config files to achieve personal goal.

Possible working idea can be found in linked thread in my signature and here is direct link for imgur album how development looked like.

• 2 weeks later...

The tail part seems too small on that SU-34, especially the vertical rudders (but i'd say the rear part is too small in general compared to the front ?). Or is it the camera ? Compared to your SU-27 for example..

Twin Boar aerodynamic fixes?

So I put this monster together in an attempt to get to low Eve orbit in a modded game where Eve is the home world.

Big-OX-2-space.png

Some asterisks: Alien Space Programs uses OhioBob's Realistic Atmospheres, so Eve's atmosphere tops out at 55 km and Kerbin sea level density starts at about 10 km. I have Explodium Breathing Engines, which are jet engines that burn oxidizer and evaporated hydrocarbons in the atmosphere. And I'm using the current FAR. But even with these caveats, this craft can get to 60 km low Eve orbit and return with a very carefully managed re-entry.

There are Twin Boar engines instead of Vectors as this is intended to be a mid-career game craft. But the bottoms of those hybrid engine / fuel tank parts don't have an attachment point on the bottom, and are flat and draggy. Well, a cubic octagonal strut can fix that, and I attached a pair of 2.5m to 1.25m adapter tanks. The current Kerbal X upload has these attached, and I improved my in-orbit delta-v by about 120 m/s.

FAR's cross sectional curve does seem to demonstrate that 'capping' the bottoms of these Twin Boars does help. But does it really help?

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Toonu said:

Hello, stall of elevators while at 100% input can be decreased or removed by enlarging the wings or just limiting the degree of the surface?

Limit the surface deflection, your controls adapt to your craft not the other way around.

Also simulate the flight carachteristics at full deflection, that brings helpful information about its behavior.

3 hours ago, tetryds said:

Limit the surface deflection, your controls adapt to your craft not the other way around.

Also simulate the flight carachteristics at full deflection, that brings helpful information about its behavior.

The plane is good when I decreased the deflection, but is there a way to make the plane more maneuverable at the same time, because with lower deflection, it turns worse... (8 degrees)

+ how simulate full deflection? I can see only full flaps etc...

Edited by Toonu

4 hours ago, Toonu said:

The plane is good when I decreased the deflection, but is there a way to make the plane more maneuverable at the same time, because with lower deflection, it turns worse... (8 degrees)

+ how simulate full deflection? I can see only full flaps etc...

Yes, you need to shift the aerodynamics center forward, to make it less stable.

But remember that when you reach a higher AoA, there is an increased risk of stalling your main wings.

To simulate full deflection go to the static sim, there will be a pitch setting, set it as 1 and simulate, that simulates a full deflection state.

There may be some guide on my signature, not sure if its still there.

So, I found out how to get aerodynamically unstable aircraft to fly in FAR: set the elevators to AoA. This means that as alpha increases, the elevators will want to pitch the nose down, stopping the out-of-control pitchup normally associated with unstable aircraft. You put max deflection on 40, and adjust from there. A value about 25% more than the pitch number is ideal in my testing. Just don't disengage SAS. You will start an uncontrollable pitch oscillation.

I have an F-16 built with these tips, will post it when ive finished tuning it. So far it flies quite nicely. 

22 hours ago, dundun92 said:

So, I found out how to get aerodynamically unstable aircraft to fly in FAR: set the elevators to AoA. This means that as alpha increases, the elevators will want to pitch the nose down, stopping the out-of-control pitchup normally associated with unstable aircraft. You put max deflection on 40, and adjust from there. A value about 25% more than the pitch number is ideal in my testing. Just don't disengage SAS. You will start an uncontrollable pitch oscillation.

I have an F-16 built with these tips, will post it when ive finished tuning it. So far it flies quite nicely. 

That is kinda how it is done, but if you properly adjust your AoA deflection on elevators you don't really need SAS in order to fly well.

@Toonu Found a quite old post about Canards: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/113795-the-5th-generation-fighter-challenge-far/&do=findComment&comment=2056674

7 hours ago, tetryds said:

That is kinda how it is done, but if you properly adjust your AoA deflection on elevators you don't really need SAS in order to fly well.

@Toonu Found a quite old post about Canards: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/113795-the-5th-generation-fighter-challenge-far/&do=findComment&comment=2056674

Thank you, the plane was already "fixed" (it was good, but is superior now :D ). No full pitch stall issues and other problems. 

Also, when using canards, you suggest to put it to -100AoA or make lift when turning by being horizontal to flow?

Edited by Toonu

Just a sneak-peak at something ive been working on:

8eiMz1l.png

Very aerodynamically unstable, but actually controllable.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.