Official FAR Craft Repository

Parts that I loved most from B9 Aerospace: landing gears(now obsolete with stock and adjustable landing gears), engines and air intakes, engines, raised tails(have some stock, but without option to add fuels) and most important - wide S3 cargo bays for making huge usefull planes.

Now when USI MKS/OKS parts become stock, something like S3 cargo bays is needed, but with even more space for largest MKS/OKS parts.

Mk3 parts are now stock too, S3 wide cargo bay is less important making bunch of parts from B9 aerospace obsolete.

Why is I think is obsolete ? Because with new voxel FAR and with help of IR mod you can make any kind of cargo hull with structural panels or even with procedural wings.

Don't get me wrong, I love that B9 parts pack, but lots of them need rework and could take a while until everything is updated and balanced properly.

Parts that I loved most from B9 Aerospace: landing gears(now obsolete with stock and adjustable landing gears), engines and air intakes, engines, raised tails(have some stock, but without option to add fuels) and most important - wide S3 cargo bays for making huge usefull planes.

Now when USI MKS/OKS parts become stock, something like S3 cargo bays is needed, but with even more space for largest MKS/OKS parts.

Mk3 parts are now stock too, S3 wide cargo bay is less important making bunch of parts from B9 aerospace obsolete.

Why is I think is obsolete ? Because with new voxel FAR and with help of IR mod you can make any kind of cargo hull with structural panels or even with procedural wings.

Don't get me wrong, I love that B9 parts pack, but lots of them need rework and could take a while until everything is updated and balanced properly.

Then there is the MkIV parts with the wider cargo bay. Honestly the only thing I want from B9 now is the 2.5m SABRE, I just liked the look of it on my larger aircraft. Beyond that most of the rest of it is pretty much dead now. Granted the massive parts were handy for space stations. There is one other part I want from B9 and it was a cockpit that had a tilt down nose like the Concorde but it was removed because it was incomplete.

Then there is the MkIV parts with the wider cargo bay. Honestly the only thing I want from B9 now is the 2.5m SABRE, I just liked the look of it on my larger aircraft. Beyond that most of the rest of it is pretty much dead now. Granted the massive parts were handy for space stations. There is one other part I want from B9 and it was a cockpit that had a tilt down nose like the Concorde but it was removed because it was incomplete.

Yep, engines, especialy those large M sabres for large crafts. Forgot to mention, those lights are quite usefull too and that custom info window that pops up on entering flight scene, very usefull for crafts left in space with some action groups assigned. Or just some small info about craft capabilities like takeoff/landing speeds, critical altitudes, etc.

EDIT:

I didn't even have a chance to notice those MkIV parts. Are those in stock game or from some other mods ?

Now that I think about it, the HL fuselage extensions might be useful for area ruling...

I didn't even have a chance to notice those MkIV parts. Are those in stock game or from some other mods ?

They're from this mod, which hasn't been updated to 1.0 yet either.

Flies pretty well -- can hit Mach 1.5 with full fuel tanks under good conditions and can fly at Mach 1.2-1.3 at 12km for nearly three hours. Good mobility.

Doesn't quite live up to its name though: Screamer-X1.craft

(requires TweakScale and Procedural Parts, best flown with a game controller or flightstick of some sort)

DKt9JyA.jpg

Edited by jrandom

@Wanderfound, very cool idea.

Guys... Seriously... Guys.... :cool:

I've made it, not the contest for the fastest plane, but the slowest :D

This is a test craft to balance the engines from the KAX mod. Had to do some cheatery to get parts mass lower, still heavy though. Wings are 0.2 mass maximum, but added fuel to them.

screenshot5.png screenshot6.png screenshot7.png

Coming for a landing, powered on, or risking under-shooting the runway. Then gentle gliding down the runway, note: speed is in knots... 92 kt = 47m/s

screenshot8.png screenshot9.png screenshot10.png

Then finally touching down at 62 knots (31m/s). the vessel is still nearly 3 tons though, the four cylinder engine performs like it should, with its mere 12kN, giving a operational ceiling around 6000m, but it takes a while to get there.

Are modded craft permitted? (Procedural Dynamics pWings, Tavario's Pizza and Aerospace tiny jet).

Everything is permited. This thread is not for contest, but to show designs, asking for tips how to improve crafts. Partly show off, partly tutorial thread, we all can learn something from other crafts designs.

New voxel FAR offers new chalanges along with new stock behaviour. Once again you need to find out optimal ascent path for your plane, at what altitude you need to go supersonic where your craft is still stable to control and where plane will not going to be melted down due to too much overheat.

Also engines behaves differently, at high altitudes you will loose thrust due to low air pressure but you have more thrust when you are able to go faster, at the same time.

I have re-created my SpacePlane Mk2 B9PW plane. Stable at all altitudes, two Mk2 cargo bays provide enough room for all kind of space probes or small equipments needed to maintain your space stations.

Still have to made some new pictures and upload it, but craft is available in my craft exchange thread for anyone curious to try it. Only B9 procedural wings are used this time, to minimize mod dependencies.

Where Can I download the crafts?

I know Wanderfound and I both put a lot of our craft up on KerbalX.com when we are satisfied with them for download.

Just click the links in our sigs to see our forum posts on our craft. I haven't put anything new up yet, havent had as much time as I would like to get to play.

I still love the B9 parts. There are some larger fuselages that I use as well.

Yep, engines, especialy those large M sabres for large crafts. Forgot to mention, those lights are quite usefull too and that custom info window that pops up on entering flight scene, very usefull for crafts left in space with some action groups assigned. Or just some small info about craft capabilities like takeoff/landing speeds, critical altitudes, etc.

EDIT:

I love those new fuselages but I don't see a need for them as of yet. I might use them once I've worked out a couple of other things...

@Wanderfound, very cool idea.

Guys... Seriously... Guys.... :cool:

I've made it, not the contest for the fastest plane, but the slowest :D

This is a test craft to balance the engines from the KAX mod. Had to do some cheatery to get parts mass lower, still heavy though. Wings are 0.2 mass maximum, but added fuel to them.

http://s26.postimg.org/3qyp61hx1/screenshot5.png http://s26.postimg.org/sli7042r9/screenshot6.png http://s26.postimg.org/jvppd0anp/screenshot7.png

Coming for a landing, powered on, or risking under-shooting the runway. Then gentle gliding down the runway, note: speed is in knots... 92 kt = 47m/s

http://s26.postimg.org/ryjaal5v9/screenshot8.png http://s26.postimg.org/gngmm7z05/screenshot9.png http://s26.postimg.org/5y2xtyn79/screenshot10.png

Then finally touching down at 62 knots (31m/s). the vessel is still nearly 3 tons though, the four cylinder engine performs like it should, with its mere 12kN, giving a operational ceiling around 6000m, but it takes a while to get there.

You wait till I try to make another ion powered plane. LoL :D

Figured I'd have half an hour before tea time. Naturally it turned into 3 hours and I forgot to eat, but it did produce this little beastie. Since everyone seems to be going for very long, thin shapes, I wanted to do something a little stubbier and fun-size :)

GpgmkQV.jpg

33 tons wet and loaded. Hella lot of fiddling to get the wave drag down to a relatively low 2.8 when the wheels are up, and that turns out to be good enough to allow a pair of rapiers to kick her up to extreme speeds on air. Stable to the point of almost too stable; doesn't actually like to turn, but very definitely won't veer off course or have yaw or roll wobbles during flight. Some pitch-bounce man occur during re-entry, but nothing dangerous.

As you'd expect for 1.0.2, she carries an oversized cargo bay to allow for an M700 survey satellite (itself with upwards of 2k delta-v), or a large can of fuel, or she can swap out the half-bay for a crew cabin. Docking port and RCS thrusters roughly balanced for a near-dry. And believe it or not, the illuminators actually reduce the wave drag slightly xD

Only thing I don't like is the pitch authority is really bad below mach 0.5. As in there isn't any. Below that speed she's gonna lawn dart, so you have to come in fast and low and hit the airbrakes when you're only a few metres above the runway. Might try moving the canards forward - would increase drag, but there's plenty of delta-v to spare.

.craft"].craft file available here, if anyone's curious or wants to try optimising her further :)

Here's what i've been tinkering with: the KiG-23 'Flogger', using Tweakscale, infernal robotics (the nuFAR friendly pre-release) and BDarmoury. It isn't an exact copy of its namesake, but IMO it has a family resemblance and importantly functional swing-wings.

Flight with wings fully forwards.

89C6C801B612D4177513213911546137AEBD8EC4

Wings swept fully back for supersonic flight

B043FF441FC5035B0990C0A9F854ED9FCDBDE934

destroying mother Kerbia's enemies with missiles! or I would be, If mother Kerbia had enemies.

A6A651D16A2EAB04CB652330937755A19BFB8026

The IR hinges are as always a bit floppy, so the wings tend to deflect a lot in flight. This causes some weird handling- the plane tries to roll right in turns and if you sweep the wings all the way back the ailerons will actually reverse at high speed and low altitude. Also the landing gear layout sucks, making touchdown a little hairy. The craft does have flaps, but FAR seems to have a thing against flaps on high aspect ratio wings, so they're set to only extend 9 degrees- if you extend them more the flaps stall, causing you to go into a spin and crash on landing...

Craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/auggjfnp4bph84e/KiG-23%20%27Flogger%27.craft?dl=0

This just in from I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Stock-Aero Laboratories. Turns out evolution has a pretty good grasp of aerodynamics :)

8fMtiBf.jpg

kmK8Cfk.jpg

Flies surprisingly - or unsurprisingly - well. Lots of control surfaces and lots of lift make it manoeuvrable and allow for an ultra shallow 10 degree (or even 8) ascent. Has about 200m/s left after dumping the cargo, and glides like a... well, a predatory bird on the hunt, really. Air brakes enough to lose 100m/s every few seconds at low altitude, so you can come in as fast as you like, and unpowered descents are f

Wave drag of just 2.9 sq-m, and despite the massive wingspan, 1450m/s on air by 24km is viable if you take the intakes to the absolute limit of heat tolerance.

.craft"].craft file for the adventurous :)

Edited by eddiew

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.