Stable aircraft?

I guess I\'ll get the ball rolling with my first design, it\'ll take off before the end of the runway without help and only needs trim when landing, it\'s best to land unpowered as well.

The agile and light Spark Airfighter

B8pyH.jpg

Updated for 0.15.1 I had 78 downloads, there\'s no way I\'m sitting here clicking that link 78 times.

Here is my only stable craft, the centepede. It is pretty stable, will turn in wide circles, takeoff needs full power and quick pull-out after end of runway.

Watch the pitch, thats the only thing wrong with her.

My dual helicopter, and my quadcopter.

Probably most stable VTOL\'s in this game.

screenshot26n.png

screenshot24o.png

I would post the craft, but I cant because I will be ruling the skies in RP with my new aresenal I will publish soon.

Thought you in favour of only stock being used? ;)

here are my two most stable aircraft, both of which can take off without ever igniting the engines.

here\'s the glider which can be laggy on my computer

screenshot5.png

screenshot7.png

and here\'s the glider lite which is much less laggy

screenshot11.png

screenshot14.png

using the elevators while alternating between turning left and right they can gain speeds of around 100m/s, but they also have a single air-breathing engine.

this is the glider lite

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5149816/Glider%20%20lite.craft

and this is the glider

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5149816/Glider.craft

it takes a few seconds to get going, but once you get it swinging back and forth on the runway (or somewhere flat) they both gain speed quite fast. they cannot keep all of this speed in the air though (you can gain speed if you circle, but only a bit) which is why you have the engine.

EDIT: attached the .craft files as attachments

Here\'s my most stable craft yet. It travels more or less where it\'s pointed, and with the SAS on, is outright tame. SAS engaged and stick held back on takeoff, it will rotate at about 50m/s and lift off at about 70, with plenty of runway to spare.

My most stable craft is like Quote\'s, only a little wider and has the SR-71 like rudders.

T-24 SHRIKE:

EDIT: Specifications revised after further flight testing!

5VrnV.jpgecPyG.png

- Centerline basic jet engine for low altitude flight and landing

- Two high powered turbojets for high altitude cruising

- Top speed ~600m/s (mach 1.7)

- Fly by wire avionics package for stable flight

- Service ceiling >= 15,000M

- one way range of 650KM

Takeoff: Keep all three engines on, SAS on, thrust up, and press S at about 100M/S and she\'ll gently rise.

Low altitude: Deactivate outboard turbojets for fuel savings and fly level at about 10 degrees elevation.

High altitude: Climb slow on your basic jet to about 5000M, activate outboard turbo jets, and climb to cruising altitude between 13KM-15KM

Landing: Line up 5-10KM out, make sure SAS is on, and touch her down up to 10M/S drop rate. (Even Jeb can do this!)

Enjoy!

Stable aircrafts, how the fap do their work?

My graveyard is running out of space and I have to use brute force to get my Kerbals into the cockpit by now. Except for Jeb. He\'s starting to creep me out tbh.

Honestly, I think I\'ll stay clear of designing Aircraft until threre is some sort of plugin displaying center off mass and lift ratio and all that jazz.

Oh, and I also suck at flying, despite using a joystick... This is even harder than IL-2 for me! (slightly exaggerated)

Kerbals and Gentlemen, I present the X-44 MANTA:

screenshot1.png

-Joined wing design

-Stable on all three axes

-Virtually stall-proof

-Glides like a dream

-Top speed in excess of 200 m/s

To take off, turn on SAS, throttle up to 100%, hold S, and it\'ll take off within 1/4 of the runway. Maybe less. The main gears are a little close to the centreline, so watch those landings :P

Propeller\'s from Damned Aerospace. All the rest is stock.

More images in spoiler

screenshot0.png

screenshot2.png

(if the images aren\'t working, don\'t blame me. I\'m new here.)

Edit: By replacing the prop with the turbojet, and fitting a pair of mini-boosters (from the novapunch pack) between the wings, I can send the thing to over 65 km on a suborbital trajectory, hitting mach 3 on the way down.

I only have two stable planes. One is dead simple, the other is for piggy backing an orbital launch off of.

Rocket stage on the first is capable of landing kerbals safely on the Mun, but no hope in hell of a return, at least the way I flew it. Granted I had about 6 tanks of fuel left when I released the orbiter, so I can probably do better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.