[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

@SuicidalInsanity Thanks for the reply, Tonight I tried to battle the issue again, and found exactly what you were saying, Tweakscale (when resizing the OPT wings to 50% to fit the MK 2 size), gives the wings a negative mass. I was going to edit my post tonight, to clear this mod of the problem... who knew (still quite new to the game really).  If I return the wings to 100% size, the aircraft flies normally (if not goofy as hell looking).  I went into the config files for the wings, and added scale to the model (0.5,0.5.0.5) and the wings worked with no issue, It must be the math that Tweakscale uses to get into the negitives (not sure how the code works in KSP, but some kind of "If (M => 1) M = M - (M/2)" in there to prevent negative numbers.

As for the part, had no idea of the 'unfunness' of legs.  I haven't dabbled in it yet, but i do 3d modeling (using 3ds max) but I'm kinda stuck at the conversion from a 3ds format to the KSP 3d format conversion.  Would love to have some reference models as i do have some ideas for parts not yet in the MK2 Catalog.  I've dabbled with code for years, and the config files are pretty straight forward, and it seems the modeling is as well (along with the texturing).

Anyway, thanks again for the advice on this error I'm having, even if I blamed the wrong mod.

Update 1.7.5 for KSP 1.3 is now up, grab it from SpaceDock or GitHub
ChangeLog:

Spoiler

-Update for KSP 1.3
-Model Rework: Mk2 Science Lab
-Model Rework: SC-TD Multipurpose Cockpit
-Model Rework: HSNC now has spatular variant
-Model Rework: Nosecap
-Model Rework: Rontgen nuclear jet
-Model Rework: Linear Aerospike
-Banshee Lift Fan SFX volume reduced
-HSNC and SSNC now use updated RSCFX
-Fixes Omni RCS parts clipping into surfaces
-Adds optional MM patch to add reactor heat/decay mechanics to Rontgen
-Removes Scramjet thrust Offset
-Added Engine Lights
-R-71 cockpit now has ASET IVA
-Tweakscale Patch has been updated courtesy of eberkain

Awesome! Some of the mods I'm using have been updated now :D

Also, the Pluto engine seems almost impossible to use, it's heavy, has weak thrust, it sucks down fuel, and takes forever to get up to speed. Do you have any example crafts that use Pluto and fly well? Thanks in advance :)

@Spaceception: The Pluto is a vacuum-optimized engine, basically an upscaled LV-N Nerv, so high mass/low thrust is to be expected; it occupies the same usage niche the Nerv does. It shouldn't be sucking down fuel, unless you're comparing consumption rate to those of jets - it has the same 185-800 atmo/vac ISP of the Nerv, which means it's going to have terrible performance in low atmo.

@HaydenTheKing: Correct, the HV Mk2-1 cockpit doesn't at this time have a RPM IVA. The Mk2 Inline cockpit wouldn't have one either because it's a stock cockpit.

4 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Still not getting any thrust on the Pluto engine in space...  did I do something wrong?

For me, (At least in atmo) the Pluto engine only worked after it was throttled up for a little bit, after that, turn on the reactor added into the engine, and it should work.

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't check myself :P

6 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Still not getting any thrust on the Pluto engine in space...  did I do something wrong?

If you have Near Future Electric installed, the atomic engines only work if their reactor is turned on and fully primed. They receive a reactor module from NF Electric. And each engine needs a little over 1 MegaWatt of cooling so you have to get creative with radiators too.

@Spaceception, Didn't mention the reactor the first time around, that explains things - from the way you worded your initial post, it sounded like you were trying to use the Pluto as a low atmo aircraft engine. With NFE, engine thrust is tied to the reactor's core heat, so the reactor has to warm up to optimum temperature before it'll produce its full thrust. I think ISP is also tied to core temperature as well, which would explain it sucking down fuel.

@Fr8monkey: As mentioned above, almost certainly a NFE interaction. As JadeofMaar said, NFE adds NFE reactor mechanics to the Mk2 Nuclear engines which affects how they function, however you should be able to run them without radiators as the engines feature exhaust cooling, but radiators will be needed if the reactor cores are left running when the engines aren't being used. If you want to revert the engine to default stock engine behavior, remove the Mk2Expansion/Patches/Mk2X_NFE_Functionality.cfg MM patch

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I simply love this mod. It makes the mk2-formfactor really something worthwhile to play with. It has a fixed place in my mod-list.

There's something, though, I'd like to play more with, and that's the inverted fishhead-cockpit. It is just such an intrigueing oddball. I have wondered how I could put a 1.25m docking-port at the nose. Since I play with CLS, I frequently run into problems with this cockpit concerning structural parts. A short, passable, structural inverter might come in handy, or a mk2-1.25m-adapter in the same vein.

Just my design-problems, though - maybe I'm just using it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all - thank you for great mod, that really helps with my SSTO carreer.

I have a heavy modded install of 1.3, without any aero mods (like FAR), and I have encountered an issue with mk2 decoupler. Any part that goes after decoupler has immense drag, as if it was facing upcoming air withiut any protection from previous parts. So at mach1 for example, my inline mk2 tank has about 15ish drag before decoupler, and about 60ish drag after. Does anybody encountered such a behaviour?

p.s. replaced decouplers with mk2 docking ports, worse that just stacking two tanks to each other, but way better that separate them with mk2 decouplers.

Edited by pr4ger

@pr4ger: Looks like the decoupler's DragCube was improperly configured. If you open up the Mk2Expansion/parts/Structural/decoupler/part.cfg and replace the DRAG_CUBE section of the config with:

DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 0.1846,0.5943,1.355, 0.1846,0.5943,1.355, 2.476,0.7572,0.09955, 2.476,0.7572,0.09955, 0.3174,0.7253,0.7, 0.3174,0.7253,0.7, 0,-0.06703,-6.076E-09, 2.5,0.1255,1.5
    }

it should fix the problem.

When using this mod in combination with Near Future Electrical, the nuclear engines (Pluto and röntgen) don't provide any thrust. Also an empty NFE interface window appears. I suspect the compatibility patch no longer works with the latest NFE. The patches bundled with Kerbal Atomics also seem to be completely rewritten by Nertea. I have experimented with the patch a bit, but as of yet without success. The engines work when I remove the NFE patch ( but without NFE mechanics naturally). Just FYI. It's not a very urgent issue.

I have downloaded it but the variants aren't working. What causes it to work? Also some of the textures are flashing white in some areas. ;.;. It still is perfect. Works well with Quiztech Aerospace!

Love the NTTJ though! Add more please!

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

@linuxgurugamer: M3X CKAN has been updated (or will be whenever the Pull Request goes through.)

@ChainiaC: Can confirm that the M2X NFE patch is outdated; this should fix it:

Spoiler

@PART[M2X_Pluto]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.8
	!MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator] {}
	!MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {}
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleUpdateOverride
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		StartActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_StartActionName
		StopActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_StopActionName
		ToggleActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_ToggleActionName

FollowThrottle = true
		OverheatAnimation = ThermalAnim
		HeatGeneration = 65000	
		NominalTemperature = 3200
		CriticalTemperature = 3600
		MaximumTemperature = 3800
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01
		FuelName = EnrichedUranium
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = EnrichedUranium
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = DepletedFuel
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

GeneratesHeat = false
		UseSpecializationBonus = false
		AutoShutdown = false
		DefaultShutoffTemp = 0.90
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3200					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0			//Dynamic goal adjustment
		CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05		//If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
		CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0		//If the core is colder, how much radiates?
		HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01	//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		radiatorCoolingFactor = 1			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01		//How much energy we push to the active radiator
		MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		CoreShutdownTemp = 3800				//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 1300					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionFlowRadiator
		passiveCooling = 65
		exhaustCooling = 1300	
		maxEnergyTransfer = 65000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true	

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		HeatUsed = 1300
		Priority = 2
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 4000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 20
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 55
		maxAmount = 55
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 55
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = RadioactiveStorageContainer
		DangerousFuel = DepletedFuel
		SafeFuel = EnrichedUranium
		// What enginer level is needed to transfer the safe fuel
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		// What enginer level is needed to transfer the dangerous fuel
		EngineerLevelForDangerous = 3
		// Max temp for transferring fuel into or out of the part
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		// kW of heat per unit of waste
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1
	}

}
@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.8

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		ToggleActionName = #LOC_NFElectrical_ModuleFissionReactor_Action_ToggleActionName
		FollowThrottle = true

HeatGeneration = 40000	
		NominalTemperature = 3000
		CriticalTemperature = 3400
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		// Disables stock converter functions DO NOT CHANGE
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3000					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreToPartRatio = 0.1				//Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
		CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1			//What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
		HeatTransferMultiplier = 0			//If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
		CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01	//If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
		radiatorCoolingFactor = 1			//How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
		MaxCalculationWarp = 1000			//Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
		CoreShutdownTemp = 3800				//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 800					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		maxEnergyTransfer = 40000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true
		exhaustCooling = 800	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		HeatUsed = 800
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 4000 1.3
		}	
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 40
		maxAmount = 40
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 40
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1		
	}
}

@PART[M2X_Reactor]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.0
@description = A stripped down experimental fission reactor intended for use aboard aerospace assets that produces up to 500kW of electric power. Comes with integrated radiators.
!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter] {}
!MODULE[ModuleOverheatDisplay] {}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor

UseStagingIcon = true
		UseForcedActivation = true

AutoShutdown = true

HeatGeneration = 15000
		NominalTemperature = 800
		CriticalTemperature = 1300
		CoreDamageRate = 0.008

EngineerLevelForRepair = 5
		MaxRepairPercent = 75
		MaxTempForRepair = 330

OverheatAnimation = Reactor_Heat

// Heating
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0 //1250
		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.000000126785
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.000000126785
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
	}

!MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 800					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreShutdownTemp =  6000					//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 300					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		PowerGeneration = 500
		HeatUsed = 300
	}
	!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = ElectricCharge
		 amount = 600
		 maxAmount = 600
	}
	!RESOURCE[DepletedFuel] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = DepletedFuel
		 amount = 0
		 maxAmount = 90

}
	!RESOURCE[EnrichedUranium] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = EnrichedUranium
		 amount = 90
		 maxAmount = 90

}

MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
}

@KerBlitz Kerman: Part variants require Interstellar Fuel Switch, which should be included with the M2X download. If you don't have IFS, that would likely explain the white flashing parts, as without IFS the game is trying to display all variants of those parts at the same time. M2X has tweakscale support, but does not come with it, you'll have to grab Tweakscale separately.

23 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@linuxgurugamer: M3X CKAN has been updated (or will be whenever the Pull Request goes through.)

@ChainiaC: Can confirm that the M2X NFE patch is outdated; this should fix it:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[M2X_Pluto]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.8
	!MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator] {}
MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor

FollowThrottle = true
		OverheatAnimation = ThermalAnim
		HeatGeneration = 65000	
		NominalTemperature = 3200
		CriticalTemperature = 3600
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

GeneratesHeat = false
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3200					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		MaxCoolant = 1300					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		passiveCooling = 65
		exhaustCooling = 1300	
		maxEnergyTransfer = 65000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true	

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		HeatUsed = 1300
		Priority = 2
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 4000 1.3
		}	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		Priority = 1
		PowerGeneration = 20
		HeatUsed = 65
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 55
		maxAmount = 55
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 55
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1
	}

}
@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.8

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor
		FollowThrottle = true

HeatGeneration = 40000	
		NominalTemperature = 3000
		CriticalTemperature = 3400
		CoreDamageRate = 0.01

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.00027
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
		// Disables stock converter functions DO NOT CHANGE
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 3000					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		MaxCoolant = 800					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}
	MODULE
	{
		maxEnergyTransfer = 40000
		overcoolFactor = 0.20
		maxLinksAway = 1
		isCoreRadiator = true
		exhaustCooling = 800	
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FissionEngine
		HeatUsed = 800
		TempIspScale
		{
			key = 300 0
			key = 1000 0.2
			key = 3200 1.0
			key = 4000 1.3
		}	
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = EnrichedUranium
		amount = 40
		maxAmount = 40
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = DepletedFuel
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 40
	}
	MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@heatProduction *= 0.1		
	}
}

@PART[M2X_Reactor]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
@mass = 2.0
@description = A stripped down experimental fission reactor intended for use aboard aerospace assets that produces up to 500kW of electric power. Comes with integrated radiators.
!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter] {}
!MODULE[ModuleOverheatDisplay] {}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionReactor

UseStagingIcon = true
		UseForcedActivation = true

AutoShutdown = true

HeatGeneration = 15000
		NominalTemperature = 800
		CriticalTemperature = 1300
		CoreDamageRate = 0.008

EngineerLevelForRepair = 5
		MaxRepairPercent = 75
		MaxTempForRepair = 330

OverheatAnimation = Reactor_Heat

// Heating
		GeneratesHeat = false
		TemperatureModifier
		{
			key = 0 0 //1250
		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.000000126785
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.000000126785
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = NO_FLOW
		}
	}

!MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCoreHeat
		CoreTempGoal = 800					//Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
		CoreShutdownTemp =  6000					//At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
		MaxCoolant = 300					//Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FissionGenerator
		PowerGeneration = 500
		HeatUsed = 300
	}
	!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = ElectricCharge
		 amount = 600
		 maxAmount = 600
	}
	!RESOURCE[DepletedFuel] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = DepletedFuel
		 amount = 0
		 maxAmount = 90

}
	!RESOURCE[EnrichedUranium] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		 name = EnrichedUranium
		 amount = 90
		 maxAmount = 90

}

MODULE
	{
		EngineerLevelForSafe = 1
		MaxTempForTransfer = 400
		HeatFluxPerWasteUnit = 5
	}
}

@KerBlitz Kerman: Part variants require Interstellar Fuel Switch, which should be included with the M2X download. If you don't have IFS, that would likely explain the white flashing parts, as without IFS the game is trying to display all variants of those parts at the same time. M2X has tweakscale support, but does not come with it, you'll have to grab Tweakscale separately.

I have it, will reinstall IFS. Thank you! Both M2X and M3X [and your mining expansion (don't know the abbreviation for it)] are EPIC!