[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

Great update!

You might want to update thread's title, though :)

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome work!

What does the new R4-D engine use, is it just IntakeAtm?

It means that it can work in any atmosphere - not only on Kerbin or Laythe, but also on Eve, Duna and Jool. An incredible tool for an interplanetary shuttle.

What does the new R4-D engine use, is it just IntakeAtm?

I was wondering the same. No other propellants are listed in the part.cfg. Which as far as I can tell, means it's a perpetual motion machine as long as it's in an atmosphere. Or am I missing something?

@MaverickSawyer & biohazard15

The question was why the R4-D only has Air as propellant.

http://i.imgur.com/nvqrV3P.jpg

Huh. Mine shows IntakeAtm, but I have a few other mods that required the ability to operate in ANY atmosphere. Lemme see if that's a ModuleManager patch real quick... and what other mods would be required for you to make use of that.

EDIT: Nope, that's part of the .cfg. Huh.

Anyways, the reason that it can use only air for the working fluid is because, it's basically a ramjet, but instead of generating heat with combustion, you're using the heat from a nuclear reactor core to heat the air. There was work done back in the 50's and '60s for one of these in real life: Project Pluto. It was a Mach 3 cruise missile that flew, well, forever. The only reason it was never made was because the exhaust plume had bits of reactor core in it. (High-temp reactors and oxygen don't play nice...) But, seeing as you're probably going to use it offworld, the radiation is far less of a problem.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

The question was why the R4-D only has Air as propellant.

Because reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong (as I haven't had a chance to play with it yet), but it's an end-game engine that allows infinite in-atmosphere flight deliberately, no other propellants are needed. I think it's well balanced because A, it's 3.5 tons and B, doesn't work outside of an atmosphere. If you're planning on using it for an SSTO, you'll still need another engine and if you're planning on using it for a normal plane, you'll have to haul around 3 tons of extra mass..

Anyways, the reason that it can use only air for the working fluid is because, it's basically a ramjet, but instead of generating heat with combustion, you're using the heat from a nuclear reactor core to heat the air. There was work done back in the 50's and '60s for one of these in real life: Project Pluto. It was a Mach 3 cruise missile that flew, well, forever. The only reason it was never made was because the exhaust plume had bits of reactor core in it. (High-temp reactors and oxygen don't play nice...) But, seeing as you're probably going to use it offworld, the radiation is far less of a problem.
Because reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong (as I haven't had a chance to play with it yet), but it's an end-game engine that allows infinite in-atmosphere flight deliberately, no other propellants are needed. I think it's well balanced because A, it's 3.5 tons and B, doesn't work outside of an atmosphere. If you're planning on using it for an SSTO, you'll still need another engine and if you're planning on using it for a normal plane, you'll have to haul around 3 tons of extra mass..

OK. That makes sense. Thank you, both.

Huh. Mine shows IntakeAtm, but I have a few other mods that required the ability to operate in ANY atmosphere. Lemme see if that's a ModuleManager patch real quick... and what other mods would be required for you to make use of that.

EDIT: Nope, that's part of the .cfg. Huh.

Yeah, sorry about that little deception. :blush:

I had to replace IntakeAtm with IntakeAir, to get it to load at all. Otherwise I got a freeze on loading KSP and this in the log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/RONTGEN/part/M2X_AtomicJet'
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

IntakeAtm not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ModuleEngines.SetupPropellant () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

OK. That makes sense. Thank you, both.

Yeah, sorry about that little deception. :blush:

I had to replace IntakeAtm with IntakeAir, to get it to load at all. Otherwise I got a freeze on loading KSP and this in the log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/RONTGEN/part/M2X_AtomicJet'

Yeah... It's a resource in the Community Resource Pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, unrelated to the previous few posts...

Was recently trying out the Wedge engine, and hit a snag: Trim has a few "dead zones" where it refuses to go. It jumps straight from 2* to 5*, from 7* to 9*, and from 17* to 20*. These are not able to be passed through by action group driven adjustments to the trim. Is this something from your end, or do I need to go take it up with Klockheed Martin?

@Whizzkid;Just IntakeAtm. Ideally, thrust would be tied to the part's heat in the stock heat system, but barring a bespoke plugin that's not going to happen. It doesn't require fuel in the traditional sense, but it's heavy, has a low top speed, and will explode if you push it too hard.

@MaverickSawyer;The old Pluto research and some other stuff was the primary inspiration. Such a very kerbal period of USAF aerospace R&D.

As for dead zones on the 'Wedge': do you have the same problem with the 'Vector' and MATTOCK? All three engines use the same KM_Gimble module, and I haven't really messed around with parameters for it. Asking on the Klockheed Martain thread wouldn't hurt.

@Val;Like the others have said, reactor heat instead of fuel combustion for thrust. It is very much an end game engine. I was toying with the idea of also having it very slowly consume Fuelrods or EnrichedUranium, but then there's the problem of losing mass over time. Its also sort of heavy and potentially explosive if run for too long. RE: the freeze on loading: that is my fault, I forgot to bundle the CRP with the mod. A 1.4.1 hotfix is now up with it included, or you can simply dl the CRP by itself. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Edit: CKAN USERS: Netkan metadata has been updated to reflect the CRp being bundled, so CKAN users should be able to get the newest version as soon as the pull request goes through. For now, just get the CRP seperately

Edited by SuicidalInsanity
netkan update

@MaverickSawyer;The old Pluto research and some other stuff was the primary inspiration. Such a very kerbal period of USAF aerospace R&D.

As for dead zones on the 'Wedge': do you have the same problem with the 'Vector' and MATTOCK? All three engines use the same KM_Gimble module, and I haven't really messed around with parameters for it. Asking on the Klockheed Martain thread wouldn't hurt.

I'll give 'em a look and see.

EDIT: Huh. It's a quirk of the gimbles themselves. In the negative direction, you've got those stops. In the positive, it's totally normal. Clean, smooth transition across the range for BOTH the Vector and the Wedge. MATTOCK does not have the trim feature.

- - - Updated - - -

I was toying with the idea of also having it very slowly consume Fuelrods or EnrichedUranium, but then there's the problem of losing mass over time. Its also sort of heavy and potentially explosive if run for too long.

Take a look at the Near Future Electric pack. their reactors convert Enriched Uranium into Depleted Fuel. Same weight and volume, so you neither gain nor loose mass. a clean and elegant setup.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

So far it looks like my KSP 1.0.2 game hangs on load of version 1.4.1, when trying to load AtomicJet.

And output_log.txt gives me this:

at ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Correct.

- - - Updated - - -

So far it looks like my KSP 1.0.2 game hangs on load of version 1.4.1, when trying to load AtomicJet.

And output_log.txt gives me this:

at ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Yeah, it's looking for IntakeAtm, which is a resource that isn't stock.

@LitaAlto; The AtomicJet uses intakeAtm which isn't stock, and included in the CommunityResourcePack which is bundled with 1.4.1. The freeze on load happens because KSP can't find the resource on load. Did you install the CommunityResourcePack along with everything else in the 1.4.1 package?

@DarthWall;Yes, it uses the CRP IntakeAtm, because that allows it to function in non-oxygenated atmospheres - Eve, Duna, and Jool. The consequence of this, though, is that stock intakes won't supply the R4-D with resources. There isn't really anything I can do about this, short of hacking together an MM patch that adds an IntakeAtm resource collector to all air intakes.

Today's 1.4.1 has a bad bug in it. The agency textures were converted from .png to .dds and KSP seems to choke hard on that:

[LOG 18:57:30.887] Agent: Found 19 agent mentality types
[ERR 18:57:30.888] Agent: Cannot find logo scaled at url 'Mk2Expansion/Agencies/IA_scaled'

[EXC 18:57:30.890] UnityException: Texture 'Mk2Expansion/Agencies/IA' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixels (Int32 miplevel)
UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixels ()
Contracts.Agents.Agent..ctor (System.String name, System.String logoURL, System.String logoScaledURL)
Contracts.Agents.Agent.LoadAgent (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.Agents.AgentList.LoadAgents (.ConfigNode[] nodes)
Contracts.Agents.AgentList.Start ()

Please switch it back to .png! I took the .pngs from the 1.3.1 folder and replaced the .dds files and it unbroke contracts.

Props to nightingale for figuring out the issue.

@Bonesbro; Issue noted, Agency decals have been converted back to .png

@maverickSawyer et al; After some testing, I figured a workaround for R4-D decay using stock modules. Doing some back of the envelop calculations is works out to a core lifetime of 2222 kerbin days at full thrust. Once the integrated supply of EnrichedUranium is consumed, the engine will cease to function. Refuelling the engine at this point in testing doesn't exist, so if you somehow manage to run the engine continuously at full thrust for 5.2 years, you might have a problem.

For those who want to play around with it:

@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]

{

@mass = 3.45

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]

{

PROPELLANT

{

name = EnrichedUranium

ratio = 0.000025

DrawGauge = True

}

PROPELLANT

{

name = DepletedFuel

ratio = -0.000025

DrawGauge = False

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = EnrichedUranium

amount = 20

maxAmount = 20

isTweakable = false

hideFlow = true

}

RESOURCE

{

name = DepletedFuel

amount = 0

maxAmount = 20

isTweakable = false

hideFlow = true

}

}

Its one of those things that seems obvious in hindsight, but I never thought of trying earlier.

Edit: 1.4.2 hotfix up on kerbal stuff.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

EDIT 2:

All the Craft files which use the chine roots cant be loaded because of this missing parts. i use the stock Techtree not CTT. Also i didn' find the new Atomic Jet here...

Edit 1: Everthings OK - CKAN didn't finish the installation - sorry

I updated from CKAN to 1.4.2 but the Game did't load.

Is there a seperate mod installation necessary?

[LOG 11:23:28.271] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/RONTGEN/part/M2X_AtomicJet'
[ERR 11:23:28.277] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[LOG 11:23:28.282] IntakeAtm not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.
[EXC 11:23:28.284] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleEngines.SetupPropellant ()
ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 11:23:28.291] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p)
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName)
DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p)
Part+.MoveNext ()

Edited by KroShan
Edit 2: Chine Roots not Found

@LitaAlto; The AtomicJet uses intakeAtm which isn't stock, and included in the CommunityResourcePack which is bundled with 1.4.1. The freeze on load happens because KSP can't find the resource on load. Did you install the CommunityResourcePack along with everything else in the 1.4.1 package?

I used CKAN, which recommended CTT--but I see nothing in CKAN or on the OP saying CRP is a dependency. And I didn't see CRP bundled within the zip file.

I installed CRP, and it works now--thanks for the guidance! But would you consider updating CKAN and the OP to reflect CRP as a dependency, please?

Thanks for the update, dude! Your the best, keep it going! I love those new cockpits and engines. The rover cockpit looks kinda weird, but I'm sure I can live with that :wink: Also, the new engines are really cool. I personally hate that the stock rapier is so underpowered. Your Malloc engine really helps make less complicated SSTOs.

@KroShan; In the update from 1.3 to 1.4 CRP was added as a dependency. I updated the netkan metadata yesterday evening to include the new dependency, so depending on when pull requests are done, the netkan might not yet be up to date.

@LitaAlto; CKAN's Mk2Expansion netkan wasn't up to date.

@vardicd;That is weird. I've never seen that before when I was testing the engine. I can poke at it some more, though. What mods are you running?

@ZentroCatson;It does look a bit different in terms of style - it went through a bunch of iterations to try and find a balance between something that would work and something close to what I had in mind. I might rework the model sometime in the future, but after working on three cockpits and IVAs back to back, I don't really want to make more cockpits for a while. As for the MATTOCK, yeah, it is a powerful little engine. Used it to made any planes without any control surfaces of any kind yet?