[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

1 hour ago, oniontrain said:

Are the Banshee lift fans meant to use oxidizer? They are on the latest version

There's a module manager patch in the "Extras" folder you can use to make them run on EC.

Reference: https://github.com/SuicidalInsanity/Mk2Expansion/tree/master/Mk2Expansion/Extras/Mk2Expansion/Patches

Edited by Supercheese

@ Grand Ship Builder: If you're in 1.3, can you verify your IFS is v2.9.5?
Log is at Kerbal Space Program/KSP.log. Either Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data or Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data [whichever is appropriate]/Output_log.txt would also work.

@oniontrain: Banshee fans use LF/O by default, and have since their introduction; it was a convenient way to allow them to work off Kerbin. The Extras folder packaged with Mk2Expansion has a pair of MM patches to convert them to use either LF/Air or Ec.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

11 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@ Grand Ship Builder: If you're in 1.3, can you verify your IFS is v2.9.5?
Log is at Kerbal Space Program/KSP.log. Either Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data or Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data [whichever is appropriate]/Output_log.txt would also work.

@oniontrain: Banshee fans use LF/O by default, and have since their introduction; it was a convenient way to allow them to work off Kerbin. The Extras folder packaged with Mk2Expansion has a pair of MM patches to convert them to use either LF/Air or Ec.

Ah so they use it to avoid doing a config for intakeatm? I've already built an unstable VTOL using LF/O so it's not big deal.

Not quite. The fans make use of a custom FanIntakeAtm (identical to IntakeAtm, except this way the lift fans don't unintentionally double as giant 2m air intakes) as well, but its universal, regardless of the fuel type (Lf/Air|LF/O|Ec) used, so it doesn't get mentioned. LF/O was chosen as the default as fan use off Kerbin was intended where IntakeAir may not be present, and if building something with the fans out of Mk2 parts, chances there's a stock LF/O Mk2 tank in there somewhere already, so why not take advantage of existing tankage?

On 8/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

@HaydenTheKing: The Hyperblast is a scramjet; like IRL scramjet prototypes, you have to meet minimum speed requirements before it will begin to work. In game terms, treat it like any other second stage rocket motor you might use for a SSTO - get the craft up to speed on jets, then switch over to it to get (sub)orbital; only difference is it runs on LF/Air/Speed, instead of LF/O. A tutorial can be found here:

These links (in the first post as well as the quoted post on page 39) both just direct me back to the first post of this thread. Does anyone know where this tutorial is actually located?

Edit: Argh, it's actually just some annoying forum usability BS. It turns out that the little tiny diagonal arrow graphic in the very upper left corner that I didn't even notice until after looking at the dang thing a dozen times and carefully mousing over every bit of it, hunting for something that gave a different URL tooltip... anyway, that little arrow is actually the link to the post containing the tutorial, while the big header line below which LOOKS like what you're supposed to click on is just telling you what thread it was posted to... and directing you to its first post, as if that big bold link to the first post was more important than the post you're actually trying to reach.

Edited by Tallinu

Page 29.
Its a vagary of how the forum software handles links - apparently you have to click the 'SuicidalInsanity replied to a topic October 22, 2016' bit at the very top to go to the linked post, otherwise it thinks you just want to go to the linked thread's OP.

i should probably get around to replacing that with a video tutorial one of these days.

Ah, that portion has the right link too, okay.

At any rate, having now read that tutorial, it seems relatively straightforward (although a slightly non-trivial flight plan, at least for that particular vehicle design). Of course, that said, I still haven't managed to build a spaceplane that can actually do anything useful! XD (Was trying desperately to make one for simple orbital tourism or crew transport that could be used with mid-game tech earlier in the year, but couldn't even get something that simple to reach space reliably...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 12:28 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

My question is: If one applies both patches, will the fan be able to switch between modes? If not, could a patch be written to add such functionality, either in-flight, or restricted to the VAB/SPH?

1 hour ago, grungar3x7 said:

My question is: If one applies both patches, will the fan be able to switch between modes? If not, could a patch be written to add such functionality, either in-flight, or restricted to the VAB/SPH?

I've made it another way - I modified the patch a bit to create a copy of Banshee with slightly different name and EC as the power source.

11 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

I've made it another way - I modified the patch a bit to create a copy of Banshee with slightly different name and EC as the power source.

Please elaborate, good kerbaleer. I feel I should inform you however, that I am not exactly fluent in patch/code stuff, so go easy on me!

@halowraith1: Catastrophic overheating is not a stock feature. That's added by some other mod, but without knowing what it is, I can't do anything about it.

@grungar3x7: That's correct. The NUK-3 consumes 0.0000016 EnrichedUranium per second. Total core lifetime is something like 2 years before the reactor either needs to be replaced or refueled.
The way MM syntax works, applying both the AirbreathingBanshee and the ElectricBanshee patch would either result in it requiring Ec or both Ec and Oxidizer. The other reason for the patches is the stock engine code does not allow tri-mode engines.
MM part duplication is easy. You'll want something along the lines of:
+PART[M2X_FuselageLiftFan] {
@name = ElectricFuselageFan
@title = Sp-NR 'Poltergeist' Lift Fan
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] {
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] {
@name =  ElectricCharge
@ratio = 10000 } //about 10-ish Ec/s
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {} }
!MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {} }

+PART[M2X_LiftFan] {
@name = ElectricFan
@title = Sp-NR 'Poltergeist' Lift Fan (2 variants)
@name =  ElectricCharge
@ratio = 10000 }

This one works for me :

//Use this patch to add Electric Banshee lift fans using ElectricCharge.

+PART[M2X_FuselageLiftFan]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
	@name = M2X_FuselageLiftFan_E
	@title = D-ZZY-E 'Banshee' Lift Fan (Electric)
	@description = A 2 meter internal fuselage mounted lift fan for vertical propulsion in atmospheric environments lacking oxygen, this engine is designed to allow VTOL applications on bodies where jets cannot function and rockets would be prohibitively inefficient. Although it is lighter and cheaper than a jet engine, it is also comparatively less powerful. This one is ventrally mounted in a fuselage housing. (Electrically driven)
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]   
	{
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] 
		{
			@name =  ElectricCharge
			@ratio = 10000
		}
		!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
		!PROPELLANT[IntakeAir] {}
	}
	!MODULE[ModuleAlternator] {}

}

+PART[M2X_LiftFan]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
	@name = M2X_LiftFan_E
	@title = D-ZZY-E 'Banshee' Lift Fan (2 variants) (Electric)
	@description = A 2 meter side-mounted lift fan for vertical propulsion in atmospheric environments lacking oxygen, this engine is designed to allow VTOL applications on bodies where jets cannot function and rockets would be prohibitively inefficient. Although it is lighter and cheaper than a jet engine, it is also comparatively less powerful. (Electrically driven)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]   
	{
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] 
		{
			@name =  ElectricCharge
			@ratio = 10000
		}
		!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
	}
}

27 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@grungar3x7: ... The way MM syntax works, applying both the AirbreathingBanshee and the ElectricBanshee patch would either result in it requiring Ec or both Ec and Oxidizer. The other reason for the patches is the stock engine code does not allow tri-mode engines.
MM part duplication is easy. You'll want something along the lines of:
+PART[M2X_FuselageLiftFan] {
@name = ElectricFuselageFan
@title = Sp-NR 'Poltergeist' Lift Fan
@name =  ElectricCharge
@ratio = 10000 } //about 10-ish Ec/s

+PART[M2X_LiftFan] {
@name = ElectricFan
@title = Sp-NR 'Poltergeist' Lift Fan (2 variants)
@name =  ElectricCharge
@ratio = 10000 }

7 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

This one works for me :

//Use this patch to add Electric Banshee lift fans using ElectricCharge.

+PART[M2X_FuselageLiftFan]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
	@name = M2X_FuselageLiftFan_E
	@title = D-ZZY-E 'Banshee' Lift Fan (Electric)
	@description = A 2 meter internal fuselage mounted lift fan for vertical propulsion in atmospheric environments lacking oxygen, this engine is designed to allow VTOL applications on bodies where jets cannot function and rockets would be prohibitively inefficient. Although it is lighter and cheaper than a jet engine, it is also comparatively less powerful. This one is ventrally mounted in a fuselage housing. (Electrically driven)
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]   
	{
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] 
		{
			@name =  ElectricCharge
			@ratio = 10000
		}
		!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
	}

}

+PART[M2X_LiftFan]:FOR[Mk2Expansion]
{
	@name = M2X_LiftFan_E
	@title = D-ZZY-E 'Banshee' Lift Fan (2 variants) (Electric)
	@description = A 2 meter side-mounted lift fan for vertical propulsion in atmospheric environments lacking oxygen, this engine is designed to allow VTOL applications on bodies where jets cannot function and rockets would be prohibitively inefficient. Although it is lighter and cheaper than a jet engine, it is also comparatively less powerful. (Electrically driven)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]   
	{
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] 
		{
			@name =  ElectricCharge
			@ratio = 10000
		}
		!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
	}
}

Thank you both, so much, for these tips!

Edited by grungar3x7
Removing unnecessary lines.